The iPhone 8 Plus is the top model of the iPhone 8 family. It’s taller and broader than the iPhone 8 and features greater resolution. It also has a larger battery. Other than that, both models are identical in both hardware and software.
Apple iPhone 8 Plus Information
The iPhone 8 Plus is also made exclusively of durable glass in the front and back. The only metal detail is the edge band made of aerospace-grade aluminum and reinforced with steel. The iPhone 8 Plus is engineered to endure dust and water (but not full water immersion) and qualifies a rating of IP67 under the IEC standard 60529.
The iPhone 8 Plus is powered by a 64-bit “Apple A11 Bionic” processor. Apple A11 Bionic is the latest chipset by Apple and its’ six cores feature a 2+4 arrangement: two Monsoon performance cores and four Mistral high-efficiency ones for graphic support. As the top model, the iPhone 8 Plus features 3 GB of RAM. The internal flash storage is the same as in the iPhone 8: 64 GB or 256 GB. The communication standards include 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, LTE (4G), and NFC for Apple Pay.
The iPhone 8 Plus features a 5.5-inch widescreen multitouch IPS display called “Retina HD”. Its highlights are the “True Tone” and the 1080 x 1920 native resolution.
The new smartphone by Apple has dual cameras – a back 12-megapixel 4K camera with optical image stabilization, a f/1.8 aperture, a 6-element lens and wide color capture and a front 7-megapixel “FaceTime HD” camera with 1080p video support. Both cameras support motion tracking and offer augmented reality support.
The iPhone 8 Plus doesn’t feature the Face ID. Its’ primary ID is the fingerprint scanner installed into the Home button that is now made ‘clickless’.
The estimated audio playback time for iPhone 8 Plus is up to 60 hours while that of the talk is 21 hours. Browsing will last for 13 hours while wireless video playback will last for 14 hours. The glass back panel allows to charge the battery wirelessly using a charging Qi standard mat.
- Announced on September 12, 2017.
- Released on September 22, 2017.
- Network: GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE.
- SIM-card: Nano-Sim.
- Codename: iPhone 8 Plus.
- Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz.
- Processor type: Apple A11 Bionic.
- Cores: 6 (2x Monsoon + 4x Mistral).
- Graphics core: Apple GPU (three-core graphics).
- On-Board RAM: 3 GB.
- Internal Memory: 64 GB, 256 GB.
- Display: LED-backlit IPS LCD, capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors.
- Size: 5.5 inches (~67.4% screen-to-body ratio).
- Resolution: 1080 x 1920 pixels (~401 ppi pixel density).
- Multitouch: Yes.
- 3D Touch display: Yes.
- Home Button: Yes.
- Protection: Ion-strengthened glass.
- Oleophobic Coating: Yes.
- Back camera: 12 MP, f/1.8, 28mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS, quad-LED (dual tone) flash.
- Features: Geo-tagging, simultaneous 4K video and 8MP image recording, touch focus, face/smile detection, HDR (photo/panorama).
- Video: 2160p@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps.
- Front camera: 7 MP, f/2.2, 1080p@30fps, 720p@240fps, face detection, HDR, panorama.
- Sound Alert types: Vibration; proprietary ringtones.
- Loudspeaker: Yes, stereo.
- 3.5mm jack: No (Lightning adapter available).
- Features: active noise cancellation with dedicated mic.
- Connectivity: WLAN, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot, Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO.
- NFC: Apple Pay only.
- USB: 2.0, reversible connector.
- Wireless Payment: Apple Pay.
- Radio: No.
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer.
- Messaging: iMessage, SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email.
- Browser: HTML5 Safari.
- Java: No.
- Preinstalled software: MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player, MP4/H.265 player, audio/photo/video editor, document editor.
- Peripheral support: Apple Watch series 1, 2, 3; AirBuds.
- Voice Control: Siri natural language commands and dictation.
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 2691 mAh battery.
- Fast Battery Charging: 50% in 30 min.
- Wireless Charging: Qi wireless charging.
- Talk time: Up to 21 h (3G).
- Music/Video Play: Up to 60 h.
- Colors: Silver, Space Gray, Gold.
- Preinstalled OS: iOS 11.0 (15A372).
- OS max. upgrade: current.
- Dimensions: 6.24 x 3.07 x 0.30 Weight: 7.13 oz.
- Body Protection: IP67 certified – dust and water resistant.
- The iPhone 8 Plus comes with AirPods, and a Lightning-USB charger that is included in the box. The AirPower charging mat is available at extra cost.
- The iPhone 8 Plus cameras feature augmented reality or AR for short. You can, for example, decorate your room with the latest Ikea pieces or try one of the AR games in the App Store.
|Model Number||A1864, A1897, A1898 (Japan)|
(engraved on the back cover)
|Display Size||5.5 inches|
|Dimensions||158.4 x 78.1 x 7.5 mm (6.24 x 3.07 x 0.30 in)|
|Weight||202 g (7.13 oz)|
|Capacity||64/256GB, 3GB RAM|
|Colors||Gold, silver, space gray|
|Front Panel||Flat and made of glass with curved edges|
|Back Panel||Glass and there's an anodized aluminum band around the frame|
|SIM tray||On the right side that holds a 4FF (short for “fourth form factor”) or nano-SIM card|
|Serial Number||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|IMEI/MEID||+ Etched on the SIM tray. The MEID is the first 14 digits of the IMEI|
+ You can use the IMEI/MEID instead of the serial number
|See also||Sell used iPhone 8 Plus online now|
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No:
- A1897 (EMC 3174).
Apple Order numbers:
- MQ982LL/A – 64 GB in gold, on Verizon
- MQ9C2LL/A – 256 GB in gold, on Verizon
- MQ972LL/A – 64 GB in silver, on Verizon
- MQ9A2LL/A – 256 GB in silver, on Verizon
- MQ962LL/A – 64 GB in Space Gray, on Verizon
- MQ992LL/A – 256 GB in Space Gray, on Verizon
- MQ9F2LL/A – 64 GB in gold, on Sprint
- MQ9J2LL/A – 256 GB in gold, on Sprint
- MQ9E2LL/A – 64 GB in silver, on Sprint
- MQ9H2LL/A – 256 GB in silver, on Sprint
- MQ9D2LL/A – 64 GB in Space Gray, on Sprint
- MQ9G2LL/A – 256 GB in Space Gray, on Sprint
- MQ8V2LL/A – 64 GB in gold, on AT&T
- MQ8Y2LL/A – 256 GB in gold, on AT&T
- MQ8U2LL/A – 64 GB in silver, on AT&T
- MQ8X2LL/A – 256 GB in silver, on AT&T
- MQ8T2LL/A – 64 GB in Space Gray, on AT&T
- MQ8W2LL/A – 256 GB in Space Gray, on AT&T
- MQ922LL/A – 64 GB in gold, on T-Mobile
- MQ952LL/A – 256 GB in gold, on T-Mobile
- MQ912LL/A – 64 GB in silver, on T-Mobile
- MQ942LL/A – 256 GB in silver, on T-Mobile
- MQ902LL/A – 64 GB in Space Gray, on T-Mobile
- MQ932LL/A – 256 GB in Space Gray, on T-Mobile
- Still available
- $799- 64GB
- $949 – 256GB
- The iPhone 8 Plus didn’t survive the test drops performed by the gadget warranty outfit SquareTrade and it cracked on ALL sides.
- The first lucky users of the iPhone 8 Plus report that Skype won’t work with the iOS 11. The bug will be soon fixed with a patch.
The iPhone 8 Plus is also reported having a glitch in the App Store. The page keeps refreshing and downloads keep freezing.
- iPhone 8 Plus – Technical Specifications
- Buy iPhone 8 Plus – Apple Store
- Switching to a new phone? Sell your used iPhone 8 Plus online for top cash: Sell iPhone 8 Plus now!
- Changing a brand or a model: Trade in your used iPhone 8 or your iPhone X for the best price!
- Read our blog, where you can learn more about all aspects related to the consumer electronics and more: iGotOffer Blog.
iPhone 8 vs 8 Plus Unboxing & Comparison! [Video]
Video uploaded by Jonathan Morrison on September 19, 2017