The second generation Apple TV, housed in a very small all-black case, was the first Apple TV to run on iOS. The Apple TV 2nd generation box was one-quarter the size of the Apple TV 1st generation. This model did away with an internal hard drive, and it was a dramatic re-think of the more original Apple TV, inside and out. It had fewer ports optimized for contemporary AV equipment: component video and analog audio output were removed, though the HDMI and TOSLINK ports remained.
Apple TV 2nd Generation
Unveiled by Apple TV on September 1, 2010.
- Processor: CPU – Apple A4 (ARM Cortex-A8). CPU Speed – 1.0 GHz.FPU: integrated. Register Width: 32-bit. Data Bus Width – 64-bit. Address Bus Width: 32-bit. Level 1 Cache – 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction. Level 2 Cache – 512 kB on-processor.
- Onboard RAM: 256 MB.
- Storage: 8 GB of internal flash storage, enough local storage for buffering purposes; all media was now streamed, instead of synced. The new device could also stream rented content from iTunes and video from computers or iOS devices via AirPlay. All content is drawn from online or locally connected sources.
- OS: Minimum OS: Apple TV Software 4.0 (iOS 4.1). Maximum OS: Apple TV Software 7.2 (iOS 8.3).
- Video: GPU: PowerVR SGX 535 (via A4).
- Maximum resolution: 720p.
- Video Out: HDMI.
- Input/Output: USB – 1 Micro-USB.
- Audio Out: HDMI, optical TOSLINK.
- Networking: Ethernet: 10/100Base-T. Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n
- Power: 6 Watts.
- Dimensions: 0.9″Height x 3.9”Width x 3.9″Depth.
- Weight: 0.6 lbs.
Apple Models, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model Numbers: MC572LL/A – AppleTV2,1 – A1378 – 2411.
Discontinued: March 7, 2012.
Price: US$99 (the price of the original Apple TV cut by more than half.
- Apple TV 2nd generation had 8 GB of internal flash storage that’s enough local storage for buffering purposes as media was now streamed, instead of synced.
- While the first generation Apple TV could download content, the second generation lacks the necessary disk capacity to store purchased content. That means that users who wish to purchase content on the Apple TV may do so and stream it live, but cannot download to the device. To store content, users must download it via iTunes onto a device with storage capability, such as iPhone, iPad, tablet, etc.
- The 2nd generation Apple TV allows users to stream content from more than one iTunes library: these additional iTunes libraries can be on the same or on different computers. This is possible when Apple TV and every iTunes library from which user wants to stream content meet all of the following conditions: the Apple TV and the iTunes library the user is streaming from are both on the same local network; each uses the iTunes Home Sharing feature; each are using the same Home Sharing Apple ID.
- Local streaming was supported via AirPlay, streaming TV shows and movies could be rented from iTunes. YouTube and Netflix streaming were also supported. MLB TV, Vimeo and Flickr integration were subsequently added.
- In July 2011, Apple discontinued the Front Row interface for Mac users on Apple TV.
- Apple TV 3d Generation: In March, 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced a third generation of the Apple TV. The device is externally identical to the second generation model. The third version includes a single-core A5 processor. In January, 2013, Apple released a third generation Rev A with omponent changes.
- Want to recycle your old Apple TV 2nd generation? Drop by our page We Buy Used Apple TV 2nd Gen.