The iMac Core Duo 1.83 with 17” screen is almost identical to its predecessor – Mac G5/1.9 iSight. They share the design and even the weight and the dimensions. But the processor is entirely new. Apple replaced Power PC processors for the Intel ones, applying the innovating double-core architecture. This iMacs line-up is known as Intel Macs. The iMac “Core Duo” 1.83 is the all-in-one desktop computer in a polycarbonate casing behind the 17” screen, mounted on an aluminum stand with an adjusting hinge. The “Core Duo” 1.83 17-inch features a 1.83 GHz Intel “Core Duo” processor (T2400), with two independent processor “cores” on a single silicon chip, 512 MB of RAM, a 160 GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 RPM), a slot-loading 8X “Super Drive”, ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128 MB of GDDR SDRAM (PCI-Express), a built-in iSight webcam, a microphone and stereo speakers, as well as 2 Firewire “400” and 3 USB 2.0 ports. It also has built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet and mini-DVI capable of supporting a second display. The cooling system is CPU controlled and the in-built speakers are mounted beneath the 17” screen for the sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac “Core Duo” 1.83 17-Inch is shipped with Apple Mighty Mouse and Apple Remote and pre-installed Front Row app from the box.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 17-Inch
Introduced on: January 10, 2006.
- Codename: Intel Mac.
- Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 32-bit.
- Processor type: Core Duo (T2400) “Yonah”.
- Processor upgrade: ZIF Socket.
- Cores: 2.
- On-Board Ram: 512 MB, DDR2 667MHz (one slot free).
- Video: 17″ TFT active matrix LCD, 1440 x 900/1680 x 1050 pixels max resolution, viewing angle: 140° horizontal and 120° degrees vertical.
- Webcam: iSight Camera, 0.3 MP, 640×480 resolution.
- Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128 MB of GDDR SDRAM (PCI-Express).
- Storage: 160 GB, 7200-rpm Ultra ATA-66 up to 128 GB Hard Drive Supported.
- Input\Output: 3x USB 2.0, 2x Firewire 400, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output, iSight webcam.
- Optical drive: 8X “Super Drive”.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11b/g, Gigabit Ethernet Optional 56k V.92 USB modem, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, built-in infrared (IR) receiver for Apple Remote.
- Preinstalled OS: 10.4.4 (8G1165).
- OS max. upgrade: 10.6.8.
- Dimensions: 16.9 x 16.8 x 6.8 inch.
- Weight: 15.5 lb.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1173 (EMC 2104).
Apple Order number: MA199LL.
Discontinued: September 6, 2006.
- The transition from Power PC processor to Intel caused some issues. While the Intel architecture provided more effective performance, it failed to run some old applications and requires Rosetta dynamic binary translator. Without it iMac display showed random horizontal lines.
- Time to sell your old iMac and buy a new model? Sell it now at iGotOffer.com for the best price online! Instant free quote, free fully insured shipping, fast payment: iMac for Sale.