The iMac Core i3 3.1 with 21.5-inch screen was introduced with no press-release at all and got the entry level i3 processor as the desktop was meant for educational purposes only. This is the all-in-one desktop computer in an all-aluminum unibody casing behind the 21.5-inch LED-backlit IPS screen, covered by an edge-to-edge front glass and mounted on an aluminum stand with a slightly tapered foot and an adjusting hinge. The Core i3 3.1 21.5-inch (mid-2011) features a dual core 3.1 GHz Intel Core i3 – 2100 processor (Sandy Bridge), with an innovating DMI system bus to connect the northbridge and the southbridge, and an integrated graphics core, 2 GB of RAM, a 250 GB (7200 RPM), a slot-loading DVD+R DL Super Drive, an SD memory slot card reader, AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 256 MB of shared memory, a built-in FaceTime HD webcam and stereo speakers, as well as a Firewire “800”, 4 USB 2.0 ports. It also has built-in draft and enabled AirPort Extreme (802.11g), Gigabit Ethernet but neither “Thunderbolt” port nor Bluetooth. The cooling system is CPU controlled and the in-built speakers are mounted beneath the 21.5” screen for the clearer less distorted sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac Core i3 I5-2100 (late 2011) is shipped with a less capable mouse.
iMac Core i3 / 3.1 21.5-Inch (Late 2011) Edu
Introduced on: May 3, 2011.
- Codename: Intel Mac Unibody.
- Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: Core i3 (I3-2100) “Sandy Bridge”.
- Processor upgrade: LGA 1155 (Socket H2).
- Cores: 2.
- Graphics core: Yes
- On-Board RAM: 2 GB, DDR3 1333 MHz (one 2GB module per slot, three slots free)
- Max. RAM: 16 GB.
- Video: 21.5″ LED-backlit TFT active matrix LCD, 16:9 widescreen, 1920 x 1080 pixels max resolution, viewing angle: 178° horizontal and 178° degrees vertical.
- Webcam: FaceTime HD camera 720p, 0.9 MP, 1280 x 720 resolution.
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 256 MB of shared memory.
- Storage: 250 GB, 7200-rpm Ultra ATA-66 hard drives.
- SSD supported: 2.5” (if replacing the hard drive, no second-drive option).
- Input\Output: 4x USB 2.0, 1 Firewire 800, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output, FaceTime HD webcam.
- Optical drive: 8X DVD+R DL “Super Drive”.
- Card reader: SDXC card.
- Card format: SDXC.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11 a/b/g/n, Gigabit Ethernet Optional 56k V.92 USB modem, built-in infrared (IR) receiver for Apple Remote.
- OS: Preinstalled OS: X 10.7.2 (11C40), OS max. upgrade: current
- Dimensions: 17.75 x 20.8 x 7.42 inch.
- Average Weight: 20.5 lb
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1311 (EMC 2496).
Apple Order Number: MC978LL/A.
Discontinued: October 23, 2012.
- Keep in mind, that this iMac available for educational intuitions only is ripped of half of its connectivity options: Thunderbolt and Bluetooth. Its RAM, VRAM and hard disc capacity were half as large, while the processor was that of an entry level.
- Upgrade options are limited. For example, the maximum RAM capacity is not 32, but 16 GB. The SSD isn’t supported as the second drive.
- Save for your new computer, sell your old Apple iMac for the best price online: We at iGotOffer buy your used iMacs and any other Apple device for the highest price online: iMac for sale. Your best option to get rid of an old iMac.