The iMac Core i5 2.8 with 21.5” screen introduced in October 13, 2015, continues the late 2013 iMacs line up, rather than that of the late 2014, namely – the iMac “Core i5” 2.7 21.5-Inch (Late 2013/Haswell). It has a quad processor of enhanced microarchitecture, and neither Retina display nor Fusion Drive, nor an SSD storage. The quad core processor (Intel Core-i5 Ivy Bridge with Broadwell microarchitecture) has been upgraded to 2.8 GHz. The design is similar to the iMacs of 2012. This is the all-in-one desktop computer in an ultra-thin (5 mm depth at the edges) all-aluminum unibody casing behind the 21.5” LED-backlit IPS screen with cover glass fully laminated to the LCD and anti-reflective coating. There’s a bulge though in the center of the back panel to house all the hardware. The computer is mounted on an aluminum stand with a slightly tapered foot and an adjusting hinge. The iMac “Core i5” 2.8 21.5” (late 2015) features a dual core 2.8 GHz Intel “Core i5 I5- 5575R” processor (Broadwell), with four independent processor cores on a single chip, DMI system bus and an integrated graphics core, 8 GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive (5400 RPM), an SD memory slot card reader, an integrated Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics 6000 graphics with 1.7 GB of shared memory, a built-in FaceTime HD webcam and stereo speakers, as well as two “Thunderbolt-2” ports and 4 USB 3.0 ports. It also has built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth 4.0. The cooling system is CPU controlled and the in-built speakers are mounted beneath the 21.5” screen for the clearer less distorted sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac “Core i5” 2.8 21.5” (late 2015) is shipped with a compact aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard and either with a “Magic Mouse” or a traditional wired Apple Mouse or a multi-touch Magic Trackpad.
iMac Core i5 / 2.8 21.5-Inch (Late 2015)
Introduced on: October 13, 2015.
- Codename: iMac with Retina Display.
- Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz.
- Boost Speed: 3.3 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: Core i5 (I5- 5575R) “Broadwell”.
- Processor upgrade: Soldered.
- Cores: 4.
- Graphics core: Yes.
- On-Board Ram: 8 GB, DDR3 1600 MHz, upgrade at time of order only.
- Max. Ram: 16 GB.
- Video: 21.5″ LED-backlit TFT active matrix IPS, 16:9 widescreen, 1920 x 1080 pixels max resolution.
- Webcam: FaceTime HD camera 720p, 0.9 MP, 1280 x 720 resolution.
- Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics with 1.7 GB of shared memory.
- Storage: 1TB hard drive (5400 RPM).
- Fusion Drive: optional, built-to-order.
- SSD supported: “blade” type.
- Input\Output: 4x USB 3.0, 2 “Thunderbolt-2” ports, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output, FaceTime HD webcam, SD card reader, Kensington Lock slot.
- Optical drive: None.
- Card reader: SDXC card.
- Card format: SDXC.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11 a/b/g/n, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0.
- Preinstalled OS: 10.11 (15A2301).
- OS max. upgrade: 10.12 “Sierra”.
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 20.8 x 6.9 inch.
- Weight: 12.5 lb.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1418 (EMC 2889).
Apple Order number: MK442LL/A.
- Broadwell chips are often called the 5th Intel Core generation, but it isn’t actually a great departure from Sandy Bridge, other than in size and heat escape.
- Due to low heat flux Broadwell processors can be used in portable fanless systems.
- Switching to a new model? Trade in your old iMac for top cash at iGotOffer.com. Check on our prices: Used iMac for sale online.