The iMac G5/1.6 sets up the new standard in computers design. The hardware goes in a polycarbonate casing behind the LCD flat display. Approximately 2 inches deep, the casing is mounted on an aluminum stand but can also be mounted on a wall or kiosk, for it meets the VESA standards. The iMac G5/1.6 sports the processor with a completely new 64-bit architecture, the CPU controlled cooling system and the in-built speakers mounted beneath the 17” screen for the sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac G5/1.6 17-inch features a 1.6 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor with an optimized AltiVec “Velocity Engine” vector processing unit, 256 MB of SDRAM, an 80 GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 RPM), an 8X “Combo” Drive, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra graphics with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X), and built-in stereo speakers, as well as 2 Firewire “400” and 3 USB 2.0 ports. It also supports AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth, but the cards are optional and installed at the factory.
iMac G5/1.6 17-Inch
Introduced on: August 31, 2004.
- Codename: “Hero”.
- Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: PowerPC G5 970fx (POWER4).
- Processor upgrade: soldered.
- Cores: 1.
- On-Board Ram: 256 MB, DDR 400MHz.
- Video: 17″ TFT active matrix LCD, 1440 x 900/1680 x 1050 pixels max resolution, viewing angle: 120° horizontal and 90° degrees vertical.
- Graphics: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM
Storage: 80 GB, 7200-rpm Ultra ATA-66 up to 128 GB Hard Drive Supported
Input\Output: 3x USB 2.0, 2x Firewire 400, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output.
- Optical drive: 8X “Combo” Drive.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Optional 54 Mbit/s AirPort Extreme 802.11b/g, 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX. Ethernet, 56k V.92 modem, Optional Bluetooth 1.1.
- OS: Preinstalled OS: 10.3.5. OS max. upgrade: 10.5.8.
- Dimensions: 16.9 x 16.8 x 6.8 inch.
- Weight: 18.5 lb.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1058 (EMC 1989).
Apple Order number: M9248LL/A.
Discontinued: May 3, 2005.
- The cooling system has three fans, the cool air goes down through the speakers’ grill and up through the vent slot on top of the casing.
- This iMac G4 is 25dB quieter than the previous generation iMacs.
- The processor is soldered into the motherboard and thus cannot by upgraded.
- Where to sell your old iMac for the best price? – iGotOffer trades in your old devices for fast top cash! Free fully insured shipping, fast payment: Sell old iMac.