The iMac G5/1.8 with ambient light sensor was to replace the iMac G5/1.8 (M9249LL/A). But the upgrade went beyond the installing the sensor. The RAM and the hard drive capacity had been increased, as well as graphics and Internet channel capacity support. The iMac G5/1.8 17-inch (ALS) is the all-in-one desktop computer in a polycarbonate casing behind the 17” screen, mounted on an aluminum stand. The casing is approximately 2 inches deep and it can also be mounted on a wall or kiosk, for it meets the VESA standards. The iMac G5/1.8 17-inch (ALS) features a 1.8 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor with an optimized AltiVec “Velocity Engine” vector processing unit, 512 MB of SDRAM, an 160 GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 RPM), a slot-loading 8X ” Combo” Drive, ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X), an ambient light sensor and built-in stereo speakers, as well as 2 Firewire “400” and 3 USB 2.0 ports. It also supports AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth, but the cards are optional and installed at the factory. The cooling system is CPU controlled and the in-built speakers are mounted beneath the 17” screen for the sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac G5/1.8 is shipped with Apple Keyboard and Apple mouse from the box.
iMac G5/1.8 17-Inch (ALS)
Introduced on: May 3, 2005.
- Codename: “Q45C”, “Q45D”.
- Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: PowerPC G5 970fx (POWER4).
- Processor upgrade: soldered.
- Cores: 1.
- On-Board Ram: 512 MB, DDR 400MHz.
- Video: 17″ TFT active matrix LCD, 1440 x 900/1680 x 1050 pixels max resolution, viewing angle: 120° horizontal and 90° degrees vertical.
- Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X).
- Storage: 160 GB, 7200-rpm Ultra ATA-66 up to 128 GB Hard Drive Supported.
- Input \ Output: 3x USB 2.0, 2x Firewire 400, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output.
- Optical drive: 8X ” Combo” Drive.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11b/g, Gigabit Ethernet Optional 56k V.92 USB modem, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, built-in infrared (IR) receiver for Apple Remote.
- Preinstalled OS: 10.4.
- OS max. upgrade: 10.5.8.
- Dimensions: 16.9 x 16.8 x 6.8 inch Weight: 18.5 lb.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1058 (EMC 2055).
Apple Order number: M9843LL/A.
Discontinued: October 12, 2005.
- The ambient light sensor approximate the screen brightness and contrast to the human eye, depending on the surrounding light conditions. In a nutshell, it “can see” if the room is dark or bright and adjust the screen image to provide the picture best quality. But in iMac G5 ALS it only works to dim the sleep indicator light in a dark room.
- Want to switch to a new iMac model? Sell effortlessly your old and used iMac to iGotOffer.com. Instant free quote, best price on line, free fully insured shipping, fast payment: Sell my iMac.