The iMac G5/2.0 with ambient light sensor got also a faster processor. In every other aspect it is identical to the desktops of the G5 family. The iMac G5/2.0 17-inch (ALS) is the all-in-one desktop computer in a polycarbonate casing behind the 17” screen, mounted on an aluminum stand. The casing is approximately 2 inches deep and it can also be mounted on a wall or kiosk, for it meets the VESA standards. The ambient light sensor installed in the edge of the screen dims the sleep indicator light The iMac G5/1.8 17-inch (ALS) features a 2.0 GHz PowerPC 970 (G5) processor with an optimized AltiVec “Velocity Engine” vector processing unit, 512 MB of SDRAM, an 160 GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 RPM), a slot-loading 8X “Super Drive”, ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X), an ambient light sensor and built-in stereo speakers, as well as 2 Firewire “400” and 3 USB 2.0 ports. It also supports AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth, but the cards are optional and installed at the factory. The cooling system is CPU controlled and the in-built speakers are mounted beneath the 17” screen for the sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac G5/1.8 is shipped with Apple Keyboard and Apple mouse from the box.
iMac G5/2.0 17-Inch (ALS)
Introduced on: May 3, 2005.
- Codename: “Q45C”, “Q45D”.
- Processor Speed: 2.0 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: PowerPC G5 970fx (POWER4).
- Processor upgrade: soldered.
- Cores: 1.
- On-Board Ram: 512 MB, DDR 400MHz.
- Video: 17″ TFT active matrix LCD, 1440×900/1680×1050 pixels max resolution, viewing angle: 120° horizontal and 90° degrees vertical.
- Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X).
- Storage: 160 GB, 7200-rpm Ultra ATA-66 up to 128 GB Hard Drive Supported.
- Input\Output: 3x USB 2.0, 2x Firewire 400, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output.
- Optical drive: 8X “Super Drive”.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11b/g, Gigabit Ethernet Optional 56k V.92 USB modem, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, built-in infrared (IR) receiver for Apple Remote.
- OS: Preinstalled OS: 10.4. OS max. upgrade: 10.5.8.
- Dimensions: 16.9 x 16.8 x 6.8 inch.
- Weight: 18.5 lb.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1058 (EMC 2055).
Apple Order number: M9844LL/A.
Discontinued: October 12, 2005 .
- The iMac G5 was shipped with a special CD to run the Apple Hardware Test under emergency.
- Some users reported, their iMacs started smelling burning plastics and then wouldn’t wake up from the sleep. It was the midplane that caused the trouble.
- Looking where to sell your old iMac? Trade in used iMac at iGotOffer for fast cash! Instant quote, free shipping, fast and secure payment – Used iMac for sale.