The iMac Core i5 21.5-inch (mid 2017 / Kaby Lake) and the iMac Core i5 Retina 27-inch (mid 2017 / Kaby Lake) introduced in June 5, 2017, is the long expected top level all-in-one upgrade of the iMac family latest generation. It’s the slimmest all-in-one computer by Apple: the display is 1.4 mm thin while the casing at the edges is 5 mm thin.
The iMac Core i5 21.5-inch (mid 2017 / Kaby Lake) is powered by the latest Intel 7th generation CPU with the integrated GPU Iris Plus 640. 8 GB of soldered RAM, a 1TB hard drive come from the box but the iterations with the 1 TB Fusion drive or 256 GB SSD are available for customization. The connectivity includes 2 Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and 4 USB 3 ports while the wireless connectivity embraces AirPort Extreme 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.2. The FaceTime HD cam, a microphone and two speakers are the multimedia features of the “Core i5” 21.5-inch iMac (mid 2017/ Kaby Lake).
iMac Mid 2017 (21.5-Inch), Mid 2017/ Kaby Lake (Retina 27-Inch)
The iMac Core i5 Retina 27-inch (mid 2017 / Kaby Lake) includes three iterations according to the speed of the CPU it is powered by and one corporative iteration based on the Core i7 CPU. The range of the latest Intel 7th generation CPU includes three Core i5 Kaby Lake processors with speed of 3.4 GHz, 3.5 GHz, 3.8 GHz and one Core i7 with speed of 4.2 GHz. The graphics is on Radeon chip: Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB VRAM and Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB VRAM. A 1TB Fusion drive and 2TB Fusion drive come from the box but the overall storage can be customized up to 3TB of which 1 TB goes to SSD sector. The connectivity includes 2 Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, 4 USB 3.0 ports, SDXC card reader slot and a headphone socket while the wireless connectivity embraces AirPort Extreme 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.2. The FaceTime HD cam, a microphone and two speakers are the multimedia features of this version.
The accessories for the both versions include Magic Keyboard with or without numeric pad, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2.
- Introduced on: June 5, 2017.
- Codename: iMac.
- Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz, 3.4 GHz, 3.5 GHz, 3.8 GHz; 4.2 GHz.
- Boost Speed: 3.6 GHz, 3.8 GHz, 4.1 GHz, 4.2 GHz; 4.5 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: Core i5 (I5-7360U) “Kaby Lake”. Core i5 “Kaby Lake”, Core i7 “Kaby Lake”.
- Processor upgrade: Soldered.
- Cores: 2 (Core i5), 4 (Core i7).
- Graphics core: Yes.
- On-Board Ram: 8 GB, LPDDR4 2133MHz, upgrade at time of order only.
- Max. Ram: 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB.
- Graphics: Intel Iris Plus 640 graphics.
- Storage: 1TB hard drive.
- Video: 21.5″ LED-backlit TFT active matrix IPS, 16:9 widescreen, 1920 x 1080 pixels max resolution. Glossy glass-covered widescreen 16:9, LED backlighting and IPS technology with P3 color gamut. 500 nits brightness, 5120 × 2880.
- Webcam: FaceTime HD camera 720p, 0.9 MP, 1280 x 720 resolution.
- Graphics: Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB VRAM, Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB VRAM.
- Storage: 1TB Fusion, 2TB Fusion.
- Customized Drive: 1TB Fusion, 2TB Fusion, 256GB, 512GB or 1TB SSD; 2TB or 3TB Fusion, 256GB, 512GB or 1TB SSD; 3TB Fusion, 512GB, 1TB, 2TB SSD.
- SSD supported: “blade” type.
- Input\Output: 2x Thunderbolt 3, 4x USB 3.0, SDXC card slot, headphones socket.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Internal AirPort Extreme 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.2.
- Preinstalled OS: MacOS 10.13.0 “High Sierra”.
- Dimensions: N/A.
- Weight: N/A.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: N/A.
Apple Order number: N/A.
Price: $1099; $1799.
This is the iMac debut on Kaby Lake. The all-in-one Apple iconic PC is 50% faster, brighter and is capable of editing 360° video and VR.
The highlight of this iMac is the Retina display. But what’s more, a user can hook up 2 4K stand-alone displays.
Also, Apple suggests unbelievable options for customization. The starting price is $1799 but with the top configuration featuring quad-core Core i7 3 TB Fusion drive and 64 GB aboard the price will take off like a rocket somewhere beyond $2,000. This top iteration of iMac is labeled the corporation iMac and is designed as the workstation for 360° video editing and for VR. Unlike the entry level iMac of 2017 these ones will get the new macOS from the box: 10.13.0 “High Sierra”.
Unlikely for Apple, this year iMac also features the whole range of sockets, the USB 3.0 sockets counting as many as four of them. Apple hasn’t ditched the memory card slot reader as well. This fact alone adds some more to the enticing iMac appearance.
Thought, iMacs of 2017 are meant to pitch against Surface Studios, they don’t feature touchscreens or biometrical ID system of any kind.
If you prefer to get rid of that old iMac, trade it in for top cash: Sell used iMac online now!