The iPhone 5 is the sixth generation of the iPhone. This version of the iPhone has introduced great design changes, including a lighter body and a taller screen. The iPhone 5 introduced features that were not presented on the iPhone’s previous generations, for instance, LTE support, Lightning and a new, more compact, version of the dock connector.
Released on September 21, 2012.
- Processors: Apple A6.
- Storage capacity: 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB.
- OS: iOS 6.0.
- Display: 4 (100mm) display with 1136 x 640 resolution at 326 ppi.
- Connectivity: Built-in support for Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0, USB dock and headphone ports.
- Rear camera: Sony Exmor R IMX145.
- Front camera: 1.2 MP.
- Dimensions: 4.87 in height, 2.31 in width, 0.30 in depth.
- Average Weight: 3.95 oz.
- Battery: 1440 mAh.
- Color: Black (dark gray “slate” matte back and a glossy black front) and white (silver matte back and a glossy white front).
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: MD634LL/A.
Apple Model: A1428.
Discontinued: September 10, 2013 when Apple announced its successors, the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C.
Original price: US$199, US$299, US$399.
- When releasing its iPhone 5, Apple emphasized the improved build quality of the new model at its press event. Apple stated that the frame used in previous versions was redesigned to use an aluminum composite frame (The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S used stainless steel instead of aluminium due to Steve Jobs’ preference for the metal which he thought, “looks beautiful when it wears”). Indeed, the iPhone 5 is 18% thinner, 20% lighter, and has 12% less overall volume than its predecessor, the iPhone 4S. The phone’s aluminum body is 0.30 in (7.6 mm) thick. At the September 2012 conference Apple claimed it was the thinnest smartphone in the world at 7.6 mm, though that claim was disputed as the Chinese Oppo Finder was thinner and some other smartphones could be considered to be thinner, depending upon where thickness is measured. The Oppo Finder measured 6.65 mm (0.262 in) at its thinnest point and 7.1 mm (0.28 in) at its thickest point making it overall thinner than the iPhone.
- The demand for the new iPhone 5 broke the record set by the iPhone 4S by selling over 5 million units in just the first three days.
- According to J.P. Morgan’s Michael Feroli, iPhone 5’s sales could boost US’ annualized GDP growth by $3.2 billion.
- Following the release of the iPhone 5, Samsung published a statement announcing that it was filing a lawsuit against Apple for infringing eight of its patents. The case was scheduled to begin in 2014. According to Samsung, the company had (and we quote) “little choice but to take the steps necessary to protect our innovations and intellectual property rights”. Litigation between the two involving patent infringement has been ongoing and is being fought in several court cases around the world.
- Like the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 5 has Siri, that allows the user to operate the iPhone by spoken commands.
- The iOS 6 included the ability to make restaurant reservations, launch apps, dictate Facebook or Twitter updates, retrieve movie reviews and detailed sports statistics.
- On the iPhone 5, texting can be aided by the voice assistant, which converts speech to text.In addition to regular texting, messaging on the iPhone 5 supports iMessage. This instant messaging program and service allows unlimited texting to other Apple devices running iOS 5 or later. The feature supports the inclusion of content such as images and sound in text messages, integration with the device’s voice-controlled software assistant, and read acknowledgements for sent messages. Input to the device comes from a keyboard displayed on the multi-touch screen or by voice-to text by speaking into the microphone. Entered text is supported by predictive and suggestion software. A multi-language spell-checker recognizes many regional accents of different languages.
- Apple EarPods (earphones) are included with the iPhone 5 and other devices announced at the Apple media event on September 12, 2012. They superseded earphones that were included with previous generation iPhones and iPods. According to technology commentators, the redesign of the earphones is aimed to improve sound quality by allowing air to travel in and out more freely. According to Apple that the redesign of their earphones allows it to “rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more”.
- The iPhone 5, as well as the iPod Touch (5th generation), iPod Nano (7th generation), iPad (4th generation), and iPad Mini feature a new dock connector named Lightning, which replaces the 30-pin Apple Dock connector introduced in 2003 by Apple on the iPod (3rd generation). The Lightning connector has eight pins and all signaling is digital. This new connector is smaller than the previous one, helping the iPhone 5 to be slimmer than its predecessors. Apple Lightning cables have duplicate pins on two sides of each plug, so it can be inserted either way round. Various accessories will be available to convert the Apple Lightning connector to the older 30-pin Apple Dock connector or USB, although not all old accessories will work, as not all signals are available, in particular video output and the iPod Out feature for BMW automobiles.
- The iPhone 5 received mainly positive reviews from commentators and reviewers who praised the new model for its high resolution screen surpassing that of the iPhone 4S. Many critics considered the iPhone 5 to be one of the best phone screens available on the market, even though many were critical of the new connector, which is incompatible with devices and cables that use the superseded 30-pin connector (although the LA Times reported that this was a change necessary to make the device smaller than its predecessor).
- iPhone 5, dropped on the ocean floor and rescued, survived and recorded the whole adventure.
- Looking where to sell your old iPhone 5 for cash? Trade-in your old smartphone at iGotOffer.com: We buy even broken smartphones. Instant quote, best prices: Sell iPhone 5 now!
- iPhone 4 – the 4th generation of Apple’s famous smartphone. It is described as having introduced the most changes since the release of the original iPhone.
Official iPhone 5 Trailer published by TouchGameplay on Sep tember 12, 2012.