The iPhone 5s is the successor to the iPhone’s previous model – the iPhone 5. Since its introduction, the iPhone 5s has been proclaimed as the «most forward-thinking smartphone in the world».
Full iPhone 5s Information
This smartphone features a redesigned home button along with the new Touch ID function and several other hardware innovations.
Introduced on September 10, 2013.
- Processor Type: Apple A7.
- Onboard RAM: 1 GB.
- Storage Capacity: 16, 32 and 64 GB.
- OS: Pre-Installed iOS 7.0. Maximum OS: Current.
- Usage Time: Standby Time – 250 Hours. Up to 40 hours of audio playback, 10 hours of talk time on 3G, 8 hours of Internet use on 3G, 10 hours of Internet use on 4G/LTE, 10 hours of Internet use on Wi-Fi, 10 hours of video playback.
- Display: 4-inches display with 1136 x 640 resolution at 326 ppi.
- Connectivity: Built-in support for Wi-Fi. USB. Lightning and Headphone ports.
- Audio Support: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV.
- Cameras: Rear Camera: Custom Sony Exmore RS. 8 MP. Front Camera: 1.2 MP, 720p HD video.
- Video Support: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
- Dimensions: 4.87 in height, 2.31 in width, 0.30 in depth.
- Average Weight: 3.95 oz.
- Battery: Lithium Ion battery. Nob-removable Li-Po 1560 mAh.
- Colors: Space Gray, Gold, Silver.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: ME305LL/A.
Apple Model Number: A1533.
Discontinuation: March 21, 2016.
- US$199 with 16GB of storage with a two-year AT&T contract.
- US$299 with 32GB of storage with a two-year AT&T contract.
- US$399 with 64 GB of storage with a two-year AT&T contract.
- Contract free for US$649 – 16GB
- Contact free for US$749 – 32GB
- Contact free for US$849 – 64GB.
Accessories: Shipped with Apple EarPods [headphones] with Remote and Mic, Lightning to USB cable, [and] a USB power adapter.
- Before the official release of the iPhone 5s, the new iPhone received a lot of speculation regarding the new model including a fingerprint scanner which expanded after its packaging was leaked, revealing a metallic ring around the home button.
- This model was the first Apple device to ship with iOS 7, which introduced a revamped visual appearance and other new features. iOS 7 was designed by Apple’s leading designer Jonathan Ive. This operating system departed from skeuomorphic elements used by previous versions of iOS in favor of a flat, colorful design.
- Among new software features introduced to the iPhone 5S were AirDrop, an ad-hoc Wi-Fi sharing platform; Control Center, a control panel containing a number of commonly used functions; and iTunes Radio, an internet radio service.
- Apple included earphones known as EarPods with the 5S. The company also released accessories including a case and a dock.
- The iPhone 5s was the best selling smartphone on AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile, having outsold the iPhone 5C.
- How to get flashing alerts: Sometimes you’ll have your iPhone 5 on silent or you’ll be in a loud environment, but you still want to know when a message comes in. There isn’t a notification light on the iPhone 5, but you can set the LED flash to blink as an additional alert. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility and slide LED Flash for Alerts on.
- That’s it for our iPhone 5s tips, but our top iOS 7 tips is worth checking out before you go. You can also find more tips via the iPhone User Guide which you’ll find under Bookmarks in Safari. If you’ve got another tip you want to recommend we’d love to hear it. We’ll update this post regularly with the best of the bunch.
- If you want to take photos fast, the iPhone 5s camera holds a few nice tricks. At the bottom right of the lock screen there’s a small camera icon. Flick it up to launch the Camera app. The Volume Up button can be used as a shutter button. To take a series of burst shots, tap and hold the shutter button onscreen or the Volume Up key. Your device will take photos at a speed of ten per second. Then it will pick the best shot and group the rest together in a sub folder so it’s easy to delete them.
- Reception towards the iPhone 5s was generally positive. Some outlets considered the model to be the best smartphone available on the market due to its upgraded hardware, Touch ID, and other changes introduced by iOS 7. Some experts and users criticized the iPhone 5S for keeping the design and small display of the iPhone 5, while some other users expressed security concerns about the Touch ID system.
- Nine million units of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5C were sold on their weekend of release, breaking Apple’s sales record for iPhones. Altogether the iPhone 5S was the best selling phone on all major U.S. carriers in September 2013.
- The iPhone 5s was officially discontinued on March 21, 2016. The iPhone SE succeeded it (iPhone SE continued the same form factor but featured vastly upgraded internals similar to the flagship iPhone 6s. This was a break with Apple’s product positioning trend in North America and Western Europe, starting with iPhone 4S released in October 2011, which gave each newly released model one year as the flagship phone, then moving it to mid-range for its second year of production, with the third and final year as the entry-level offering before discontinuation. While iPhone 5s was expected to continue on sale until September 2016, replacing it and its A7 processor early means that Apple “just reduced its long-term chip support window by a year” for iOS. In addition, a new iPhone launch was meant to stimulate demand, as sales of iPhone 6s and 6s Plus had not met expectations since their September 2015 release and the iPhone family may suffer its first ever negative growth quarter in 2016.
- How to use Spotlight Search on your iPhone 5s: Spotlight Search is your quick shortcut to find anything on your iPhone 5s. Swipe down on a home screen and you’ll see Spotlight Search, the universal search bar. However if you swipe down from the very top of the screen, you’ll open notifications. Using Spotlight Search you don’t need to type the full name. In fact the first few characters should be enough to highlight what you’re looking for. You can use this feature to search emails, calendar, apps and more. If you want to filter the results down to focus on specific areas of your phone, go into Settings > General > Spotlight Search. Here you can name what is included in your search.
- Remember that many experts recommend making a double backup before you sell your used iPhone 5s. One backup is stored locally on a computer. Another one stored in iCloud, before you sell your old and used iPhone 5s. This procedure guarantees that you will have an accessible backup available when your new iPhone arrives. You specify a backup to restore to and you’ll be on your way with all your settings, apps and all on the new device. To back up locally to the computer. Connect the iPhone to a computer and launch iTunes, select the iPhone – Backups – This Computer – click Back Up Now. To complete the second backup, from the iPhone itself, open Settings and go to iCloud. Go to Storage & Backup, tap Back Up Now.
- Sell your iPhone 5s to iGotOffer and save for a new smartphone. Instant and free quote, free and fully insured shipping, fast payment, the highest prices Online: Sell old iPhone online now!
- iPhone 5s Information: Safety, Warranty and Regulatory Information (in PDF format).
- iPhone User Guide for iOS 7.1 Software (in PDF format).
- EarPods with Remote and Mic User Guide (in PDF format).