The iPod classic Second generation replaces the scroll wheel used on the iPod 1st generation with a touch sensitive scroll wheel. While users had to physically turn the wheel, now they could only touch to achieve the results. The 2nd Gen also had a larger hard drive, used a cover to the Firewire port, a thinner Firewire cable, a hold switch revised, a wired remote control. A carrying case was added. Apple used the suffix classic to describe the iPod 2nd generation. However this definition wasn’t officially included until the 6th generation.
iPod Classic 2nd Generation
Introduced on July 17, 2002.
- Processor Speed: 90 MHz (x2).
- Processor Type: PP5002.
- Onboard RAM: 32 MB.
- Storage capacity: 10 GB (2000 songs in 160-Kbps MP3 format) and 20 GB. The model also includes a re-issue of the original Mac-compatible 5 GB model. The 5 GB, 10 GB, and 20 GB models are capable of holding 1000, 2000, and 4000 songs, respectively, in 160-Kbps MP3 format.
- Connectivity: FireWire port.
- Mac support: Mac 9.2.2, 10.1.4.
- OS: Operating system for mobile devices based on Pixo OS 2.1. Possibility to work with Windows 2000 through Musicmatch Jukebox. The model also includes a re-issue of the original Mac-compatible 5 GB model with a physical scroll wheel. They came with a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire adapter.
- Audio: A high output amplifier (60-mW), a standard 3.5-mm headphone jack. This model supports for the first time Audible format.
- Dimensions: 4.02 x 2.43 x 0.78.
- Average weight: .5 oz.
- Navigation: Touch-sensitive scroll wheel which assured an easy one handed navigation. A center select button and four auxiliary buttons around the wheel.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: 1200 mAh lithium polymer hours of music playback using an integrated 1200 mAh Lithium Polymer battery. Battery life (estimated): up to 10 hours. Full-charge time: 3 hours. Fast charge in 1 hour to 80% capacity.
- Display: Black and white 2” (diagonal) monochrome (backlit) liquid-crystal display (LCD) screen. Display resolution: 160×128; 0.24-mm dot pitch.
- Colors: White 20 GB; white (limited edition Madonna); white (limited edition Tony Hawk); white (limited edition No Doubt); white (limited edition Beck).
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: M8737LL/A. 5 GB Mac configuration – M8513LL/B. 5 GB Windows compatible – M8697LL/A.
Apple Model No: A1019 (EMC 1942).
Discontinued: April 28, 1003.
Price: $399 for the 10 GB model and US$499 for the 20 GB. US$299 for the 5 GB model. Extra $50 for the limited edition, with either Madonna’s, Tony Hawk’s, or Beck’s signature or No Doubt’s band logo engraved on the back.
- The 2nd generation, Windows compatible 5 GB model had a physical scroll wheel, the same structure used with the original iPod. Theses elements were physically identical.
- The iPod classic 2nd Generation front plate also had the same rounded corners and edges than the iPod classic 1st generation.
- The 2nd generation iPod classic (as well as the updated first-generation version were Windows-compatible. In 2002, iTunes was Mac only, unavailable for Windows, later iTunes 4.1 for Windows was released.
- Sell your used iPod to iGotOffer for the best price online, for fast cash: iGotOffer, we pay the highest price online for your old iPod classic and any other electronic devices.
Retro Review: 2nd Generation iPod – 2002. Video published by Snazzy Labs on May 23, 2014. The 2nd generation was a much bigger game changer than people make it out to be. While iTunes for Windows didn’t come until 2003, this iPod prepared the international success that followed with later models.