The iPod touch 3rd gen design mimics the iPod touch 2nd gen, while internally the device is almost identical to the iPhone 3GS excluding cellular mode, A-GPS, digital compass and in-built camera. The iPod touch 3rd gen got the same 800 MHz processor as the iPhone 3GS to greatly enhance its overall performance and OpenGL ES 2.0 support for better graphics performance. The device fully supports iOS4 and iOS5. Like the iPod of the previous generation, the iPod touch 3rd gen has the same multi-touch 3.5 screen with 320 x 480 resolution, an accelerometer to automatically adjust the screen either in portrait or in landscape mode, a light sensor to tweak screen brightness and an integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b/g, hardware is capable of 802.11n) module. An external volume control and an integrated speaker have been added to the device, but the microphone is built in the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic. The battery supports 30 hours of music playback and 6 hours of video playback. The iPod touch 3rd gen got a Voice Control for navigation and the VoiceOver screen reader for visually impaired people.
iPod Touch (3rd Gen) 32 GB, 64 GB
Introduced on September 9, 2009.
- Processor Speed: 800 MHz.
- Processor Type: Samsung ARM.
- Processor Core: 1.
- Onboard RAM: 256 MB.
- Storage capacity: 32 GB, 64 GB.
- Display: 3.5″ color TFT display (320 x 480, 163 ppi).
- Connectivity: USB, wi-fi, Bluetooth.
- Wireless standard: 802.11b/g.
- Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR.
- OS installed: iPhone OS 3.1.1.
- Max. OS upgrade: iPhone OS 5.1.1).
- Mac support: MacOS X 10.4.11.
- Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.4 x 0.33.
- Average weight: 4.05 oz.
- Navigation: Multitouch screen, voice control.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: Battery provides 30 hours (music), 6 hours (video).
- Colors: Black.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: MC008LL/A. MC008LL/A – iPod Touch 3G 32 GB, MC011LL/A – iPod Touch 2G 64 GB. Apple Model No: A1318 (EMC 2310).
Discontinued: September 1, 2010.
Price: $299, $399.
- The iPod touch 3rd gen was excessively marketed as the portable gaming device rather than the music player. Thus, while the gaming performance was dramatically improved, the sound quality remained average at best.
- The Genius Mixer options were enhanced to include iTunes recommendations.
- The VoiceControl, that may be considered Siri’s grandfather, works very accurate with simple commands. Yet, turning it off is a bit tricky.
- An old iPod touch is bothering you? Well, the best way to get rid of it is to sell the gadget to iGotOffer.com for the best price online. Free shipping, high prices: Sell my iPod touch.