The iPod touch 4 gen of 2012 is identical to the iPod touch 4 gen of 2011 year but ins cut back in capacity and tethering. You can’t piggyback your phone via Bluetooth. It’s meant for external peripheral devices only, such as speakers, headphones etc. It is available in two colors: black and white. The entry level price was also a bit lower. The device continues the same more-than-a player but less-than-a-phone line. It was released in pair with the iPhone 4 and shares an Apple A4 chip, a 3.5″ “Retina” screen (960 x 640, 326 ppi, not IPS) and an integrated cam for making video calls via FaceTime. But it lacks a 3G/EDGE module, and consequently, A-GPS and digital compass. The iPod touch 4th gen supports some sweet features like iCloud, iMessage, iMovie editing. As to hardware, the device has a 3-axis gyroscope, an in-built speaker and an in-built mike as well as a front VGA camera for video calls. The rear 0.70-megapixel camera with no flash is capable of recording 720p video. The battery life was enhanced up to 40 hours of music playback and 7 hours of video playback. The iPod touch 4th gen is available in two capacities: 32 and 64 GB.
iPod Touch 4th Gen (2012) 32, 64 GB
Introduced on September 12, 2012.
- Processor Speed: 1.0 GHz.
- Processor Type: Apple A4.
- Processor Core: 1.
- Onboard RAM: 256 MB.
- Storage capacity: 8 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB.
- Display: 3.5″ retina display (960 x 640, 326 ppi).
- Connectivity: USB, wi-fi, Bluetooth.
- Wireless standard: 802.11b/g/n.
- Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR.
- OS installed: iOS 5.0. Max. OS upgrade: iOS 6.1.6). Mac support: MacOS X 10.6.8.
- Dimensions: 4.4 x 2.3 x 0.28.
- Average weight: 3.56 oz.
- Navigation: Multitouch screen.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: Battery provides 40 hours (music), 7 hours (video).
- Color: Black.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: ME178LL/A. ME178LL/A – iPod Touch 4G 16 GB in black. ME179LL/A – iPod Touch 4G 16 GB in white. MC544LL/A – iPod Touch 4G 64 GB in black. MD058LL/A – iPod Touch 4G 8 GB in white. Apple Model No: A1367 (EMC 2407).
Discontinued: May 30, 2013.
Price: $199 (32 GB), $249 (64 GB).
- Keep in mind, that the black iPods touch 4th gen of 2011 shares the model numbers with the original iPod of 4th generation.
- The iPod touch 4th gen can support as much as iOS 6.1.6, it has a very good processor chip. The FaceTime app work not via phone number but via Apple ID and e-mail. Once you register, your e-mail contacts list appears in FaceTime.
- The app supports the earbuds, turning off the integrated speaker and mike the second a headphone jack is plugged in. Keep in mind, that the TImeFace app might be unavailable in some countries and regions.
- The iPod touch 4th gen runs OK with unprotected music and audiobooks outside the iTunes, but with the DRM-protected audio content there may be some problems.
- If you ask yourself “Where can I sell my old iPod touch?, don’t look anymore: We at iGotOffer buy your old and used iPod for the best price online: iPod touch for sale.
First Look unboxing – new 2012 iPod touch 16GB 4th Generation [HD]. Video published by iCTechReviews on December 10, 2012