The MacBook 2,1 or the original polycarbonate MacBook laptop was thicker than its predecessor – the iBook G4, – but wider, due to its widescreen display. The original MacBook 1,1 and its version 1,2 released in November 2006, five months later, adopted Apple’s MagSafe power connector. The original polycarbonate MacBook was Apple’s first notebook to use new features, such as the glossy display, the sunken keyboard design and the non-mechanical magnetic latch.
MacBook 2,1 (Original Polycarbonate Model, Late 2006)
Introduction: November 8, 2006.
- Processor: 1.83 GHz or 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo (T5600/T7200). 945 chips.
- Memory: 512 MB (two 256 MB) or 1 GB (two 512 MB), expandable to 4GB (3GB usable).
- Hard drive: 60 GB, 80 GB or 120 GB (optional 160 GB or 200 GB, 4200-rpm).
- Operating system: OS x 10.7 Lion.
- Display: 13.3-inch glossy widescreen LCD. 1280 x 800 pixel resolution (WXGA, 16:10 = 8:5 aspect ratio).
- Graphics: Shared with system memory, Intel GMA 950 using 64 MB RAM. Up to 224 MB in Windows through Boot Camp.
- Front size bus: 667 MHz.
- Ports: The ports are all on the left edge. On the first models, from left to right, they are the MagSafe power connector, Gigabit Ethernet, mini-DVI, FireWire 400, 2 USB 2.0 ports, audio in, audio out and Kensington Security Slot. For the unibody polycarbonate MacBook model released in 2009, the ports from left to right are the MagSafe power connector, Gigabit Ethernet, Mini DisplayPort, 2 USB 2.0 ports, audio out and Kensington Security Slot. On the front, there is a power light and an infrared receiver, while on the right edge, there is the optical drive.
- Camera: iSight Camera (640 x 480 0.3 MP).
- Video out: Mini DVI (replaced the iBook’s mini-VGA display port with a mini-DVI display port). Connectivity: Integrated AirPort Extreme 802.11 a/b/h/g. Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR.
- Battery: 55-watt-hour lithium polymer battery, removable.
- Peripherals: 2 USB 2.0. 1 Firewire 400. 1 Optical diginal/analog audio line-in. 1 Optical digital/analog line-out.
- Weight: 5.2 lb.
- Dimensions: 1.08 in x 12.78 in x 8.92 in.
- Colors: Available in black and white colors.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Order Numbers: MA699/A. MA700/A. MA701/A.
Discontinued: October 2008, after the introduction of the aluminium MacBook.
- With the late 2007 revision of the original polycarbonate MacBook, the keyboard received several changes. The same keyboard short-cut to control multimedia was added than that on the iMac. The embedded numeric keypad and the Apple logo were removed from the command keys.
- This MacBook was the only Mac notebook, until the reintroduction of MacBooks in 2015, to be offered in more than one color since the iBook G3.
- In February 2007, Apple Inc. recalled MacBook because the graphics card and hard drive caused the computer to overheat, forcing the unit to shut down randomly.
- Aluminum MacBook: On October 14, 2008 Apple Inc introduced its first aluminum MacBook. This model made use of a unibody aluminium case with tapered edges. It was thinner than the original polycarbonate MacBooks.
- Unibody polycarbonate MacBook: This model was launched on October 20, 2009. It was discontinued on July 20, 2011, but it was still available for educational institutions until February 2012. This model was rounder on the edges than previous two models in the MacBook line.
- Retina MacBook computer: Introduced in March 2015. This model is thinner and lighter than MacBook Air. It can be purchased in space grey, silver, gold, rose gold.
- Earn money by selling your old MacBook to iGotOffer for top dollar! Fast payment, instant free quote, free shipping! – Sell Used MacBook Now!