This is proprietary VGA adapter for sharing photos, video, and presentations on larger screens. The adapter is designed for the Surface tablets line-up but can be used with any laptop featuring the Mini DisplayPort port. The adaptor can be used with old VGA displays. The wire is long enough and robust.
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
- Compatibility: Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, any Microsoft Windows laptop.
- Dimensions: 9.17 x 1.40 x 0.58 in.
- Weight: 0.09 lbs.
- Connector type: Male (input).
- Warranty: 1 year limited.
- Price: $39.99.
Connecting a Surface Device to an External Display
How to connect a Surface tablet or Surface book to an external display. It takes just three simple steps:
- Locate the Mini DisplayPort on the righthand side of your Surface Book (it’s tiny. Much smaller than a USB port).
- Plug in an AV cable with a Mini DisplayPort end into your Surface Book (more on cable options below).
- Plug the other end into your external display.
- Go to Start -> Settings -> PC Settings -> PC and Devices -> Display -> Find Display.
- The second display found, switch to it.
Now you will see the pictogram featuring two displays. Pay attention, that the quadrangles sizes have nothing to do with those of the display. The resolution is the key: the display with the higher resolution of the two will always be larger in the pictogram. The tablet’s screen will always be number 1 and the external display will have number two. You can change their place in the pictogram (in a row, or in a column) or resolution of the external display, but never the number.
To change the resolution of the external display, tap or click its pictogram on your tablet or laptop and the resolution slider will appear. Choose the resolution you like.
While working with two displays you can send the window from one screen to another with a drag-and-drop either on desktop display or on the tablet. All you have to do is to drag the window to the screen’s edge. But here’s the trick what edge to choose.
For instance, you placed Screen 1 on the top and Screen 2 in the bottom. Then you are to drag the windows in the desktop display to the upper edge for it to appear in the tablet. If you tablet is placed in the right of the external display, drag the window to the right to get it into tablet and in the tablet – back to the left for it to re-appear on the larger screen.
Troubleshooting with Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Now and then you may face troubles while connecting the tablet to the external display. Here are some troubleshooting tips for you.
- Make sure the adapter is plugged all the way into the socket.
- If the screen is not still found, reboot the tablet. Then re-connect the external display again.
- If the screen is found but there’s no picture or sound, disconnect the external display and re-connect it again.
- Swap your adapter for a spare one.
- Have you checked out our prices recently? Remember, the possibility to trade in your old device for top dollar cash is just a click away : Make smart decisions about your money! We at iGotOffer.com pay the best price online! – Check out iGotOffer Offers page to see all current ones: Sell used electronics online now.
Surface Pro MiniDisplayPort to VGA Adapter. Video uploaded by GMapper14 Electronics, on February 28, 2013