Windows Surface 2nd Gen (late 2013) is the second tablet in the Surface line-up designed and manufactured by Microsoft. It’s a portable 2-in-1 computing device in a VaporMg seamless silver color casing with black bezel edges, a flip-out kickstand and a magnet lock for a detachable keyboard\cover. Windows Surface 2nd Gen got a 50% brighter 1080p HD touch screen with lower reflectivity. The screen supports 10 touches but no handwriting. The tablet is slightly bigger but lighter than its’ predecessor. Windows Surface 2nd Gen (late 2013) features a 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD display, a 1.7 GHz Nvidia Tegra 4 (T114) processor, an ULP GeForce graphic processor with 72 graphic cores, 32 GB \ 64 GB of NAND storage aboard. The storage capacity can be expanded up to 200 GB with an SD card. Windows Surface 2nd Gen (late 2013) has an USB 3.0 with host support, 3.5 mm audio socket, 2 microphones, Dolby stereo speakers, micro HDMI, one HD webcam in the front and one in the rear. This is a non-GSM model, but it has Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 for wireless connection. Windows Surface 2nd Gen (late 2013) is shipped without a keyboard \ cover. The magnetic detachable Touch Cover 2 and Type Cover 2 are backlighted and available for an extra cost.
Windows Surface 2nd Gen (Late 2013)
Introduced on: October 22, 2013.
- Display type: LCD.
- Display diagonal size: 10.6.
- Display aspect ratio: 16:9.
- Pixel density: 208 ppi.
- Resolution: 1920×1080 pixels.
- Contrast ratio: 1324:1 (nominal).
- Multi-touch support: 10 touches.
- Pen support: None.
- Portrait orientation: Yes.
- Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor Upgrade: Soldered.
- Processor type: Nvidia Tegra 4 (T114) Cortex-A15.
- Cores: 4.
- Graphics processor: ULP GeForce.
- On-Board RAM: 2 GB.
- Storage: NAND Flash 32 GB \ 64 GB.
- Storage available to user: 18 GB \ 47 GB.
- Expandable storage: MicroSD.
- Max. expandable storage: 200 GB.
- Battery: Lithium-ion.
- Battery capacity: 31.5 Wh.
- Battery Life: 10 hours of video playback.
- Input\Output: USB 3.0 with host support, 3.5 mm audio socket, 2 microphones, Dolby Digital Plus stereo speakers, micro HDMI.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0.
- SIM-card: None.
- Sensors: ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, compass.
- Front webcam: 3.5 megapixels, FHD (1920×1080).
- Rear webcam: 8.0 megapixels, FHD (1920×1080).
- Preinstalled OS: Windows RT 8.1.
- OS max. upgrade: Windows RT 8.1.
- Online Services: Windows Store, OneDrive, Xbox Music, Xbox Games, Xbox Video.
- Accessories: Type Cover 2 with backlight, Touch Cover 2 with backlight.
- Dimensions: 6.81x 10.81 x 0.35 inch maximum.
- Weight: 1.49 lb.
Discontinuation and Price
Discontinued: January 27, 2015 (security updates available until 2023).
- Microsoft developed PixelSenseTM soft for Windows Surface 2. The soft is capable to recognize real objects placed on the surface (e.g. Red Bull cans or cross trainers or poker chips) and suggest the drop-and-drag menu to select from videos, pictures and what’s not concerning the object. These can be Las Vegas views, or latest Red Bull ads, etc. Now PixelSenseTM is bundled with Samsung SUR40 interactive table.
- With Windows 8.1 RT aboard, the tablet can’t run desktop apps as they are forbidden for tablets, and thus can’t be called a portable PC, though it works with a keyboard. It has its own bundle of MSN apps, Bing search engine included.
- We Help You Save Money: Sell your old and used Microsof PC to iGotOffer for the best price online! Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment.