MacOS Sonoma – Guide & Useful Features 2023 [Video]
Video uploaded by ThisIsE on September 29, 2023
What is MacOS Sonoma and How to Deal With This Operation System
MacOS Sonoma is the latest version of the operating system for Mac computers, released by Apple on September 26, 2023. It introduces some new features and improvements, such as:
• Desktop widgets: You can add interactive widgets to your desktop to access information and actions from your favorite apps, such as weather, calendar, reminders, shortcuts, home, etc. You can also use widgets from your iPhone without installing the corresponding apps on your Mac.
• Game Mode: You can enjoy better gaming performance on your Mac with Game Mode, which automatically optimizes the CPU and GPU resources when you launch a game. You can also use an iPhone or iPad as a game controller for your Mac.
• Web apps: You can turn any website into an app and add it to your Dock, without installing anything on your Mac. This way, you can access your favorite online services with a single click.
• Video calls: You can enhance your video calls with new features, such as Speaker Overlay, which lets you stay on screen even when you share it. You can also use hand gestures to share reactions with fun 3D augmented reality effects.
• Password sharing: You can securely share passwords with a trusted group of people, such as your family or friends. You can also use Face ID or Touch ID to authenticate password requests from other devices.
So these are some of the main features of MacOS Sonoma.
Considering MacOS Sonoma? Follow these 7 steps before you upgrade
MacOS Sonoma has been released, and while the urge to instantly upgrade is strong, consider these preparatory actions to ensure a seamless transition.
Apple is now offering MacOS Sonoma for eligible Macs and MacBooks. While many will immediately hit the Upgrade Now button, past experiences have shown that being hasty can sometimes lead to data loss or system hitches post-upgrade.
Here is our checklist before giving in to the allure of that Upgrade Now option:
- Refresh all applications: Update everything. Whether it’s apps from the Apple App Store or software like Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud suite, make sure they’re current. Outdated apps are a leading cause of post-upgrade issues.
- Backup is crucial!: Always maintain backups. I recommend a local backup via Time Machine or apps like Carbon Copy Cloner, paired with cloud backups, such as Backblaze. The mere thought of losing all your Mac data should convince you of the importance of backups. Alternatively, consider a complete MacOS reinstallation for a fresh start.
- Compile your passwords: Keep your iCloud and backup passwords at hand, especially if they’re encrypted or stored online.
- Power up your Mac: For MacBook users, ensure it’s fully charged and connected to AC power during the upgrade. If you’re on a Mac, ensure reliable power, or have a backup power source like a UPS.
- Stable internet is key: Given that MacOS Sonoma is roughly 6.5GB, a solid internet connection is a must for downloading.
- Allocate ample time: Upgrading shouldn’t be a rushed process. Reserve a few hours, even more so if complications arise.
- Patience can be rewarding: Given Apple’s history, it’s likely a more polished Sonoma update will soon follow the initial release. If you’re looking to sidestep any potential hiccups, consider waiting for the next minor update.
Remember, preparation can make the transition to MacOS Sonoma a breeze.