LifeCam Studio is the web camera designed and manufactured by Microsoft for Windows-based PCs and Skype certificated. It is a top 1080p HD webcam with autofocus on a flexible mounting base with USB 2.0 interface and broadband built-in microphone. LifeCam Studio features wide glass lens of high precision, 1280 x 1080 maximum resolution, 16:9 ratio, digital 3x zoom, autofocus from 0.3 mm to 10 m and a LED indicator. The camera can record 1080p HD video and make snapshots.
Microsoft LifeCam Studio
The mounting base features a flexible rubberized mount base that allows to attach the LifeCam Studio to the display or to the TV. There’s also a new tripod thread in the bottom of the mount. The camera itself is mounted in a ‘gun’ position and swivels 360° but won’t tilt. The only tilt available is a digital one, the only free move is the horizontal one. The camera is attached to the base with a bearing and moves smoothly.
Drivers don’t come from the box, they’re to be detected automatically after the webcam is plugged in or downloaded from the Microsoft official site. LifeCam Studio software, called Dashboard, is the same for all the LifeCam family and got a lot of video filters in a bundle plus digital tilt, zoom and live frames for fun. A user can tweak the resolution, the colors, the video frequency and the microphone sensitivity. There’s also an option to send the logs to the developers. Users can contribute to improving bugs and faults.
- Product Name: Microsoft LifeCam Studio.
- Type: Skype certificated web camera.
- Interface: high-speed USB 2.0.
- OS Supported: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7, Macintosh OS X v10.7-10.10.
- OS Non-Supported: Windows XP, Vista.Top System Requirements (VGA video call): Intel Dual Core 1.6 GHz or higher, 1 GB of RAM, 1.5 GB of hard drive space, speakers or headphones.
- Top System Requirements (720p HD video call): Intel Dual Core 3.0 GHz or higher, 2 GB of RAM, 2 MB of video memory or higher, 1.5 GB of hard drive space, speakers or headphones.
- Compatibility Logos: Compatible with Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7, Hi-Speed USB Logo, Skype for Business Certified.
- Physical button: one touch Windows Live call button.
- Button Life: 10,000 actuations.
- Software Integration: Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Live Movie Maker.
- Sensor: CMOS sensor technology.
- Still Image Resolution: 5 megapixel, 2560 x 2048 pixel.
- Motion Video Resolution: 1280 x 1080 pixel..
- Special Feature: Automatic face tracking.
- Imaging Rate: up to 30 frames per second.
- Field of View: 75.0° diagonal field of view.
- Imaging Features: digital pan, digital tilt, vertical tilt, swivel pan, and 4x digital zoom.
- Fixed Focus: 0.3m to 10 m.
- Zoom: digital, 3x.
- Ratio: 16:9.
- Color depth: 24 bit.
- Speakers: no.
- Microphone: integrated, omni-directional.
- Frequency Range: 200Hz – 18kHz.
- Mount Base: flexible, with a tripod thread in a bottom.
- Webcam Length: 4.48 inches.
- Webcam Width: 2.36 inches.
- Webcam Depth/Height: 1.77 inches.
- Webcam Weight: 4.52 ounces.
- Webcam Cable Length: 72.0 inches + 6 inches.
- Part #: Q2F-00014.
- Price: $50.58.
- TrueColor image processing technology provides superior color and brightness in all lighting conditions, low light and backlight included. TrueColor Technology sets the correct brightness balance so that the user’s face won’t be overexposed or underexposed. In a bright morning and in a dusk you’ll look as natural as possible without your face turning purple blue or crimson, or grey. This is achieved through a precisely designed combination of software and firmware.
- Despite the moniker Studio the webcam still features the CMOS sensor. The sensor in question distorts objects, especially the moving ones, they can look wobbled or skewed.
- The Windows Live Call button works only with Windows Live Messenger.
- LifeCam Studio mic doesn’t feature noise suppression.
- Video records maximum quality is 720p and 15 frames per second. For better quality extra software is needed.
If the LifeCam is not detected by your system, do the following:
- Disconnect and reconnect the LifeCam.
- Disconnect other unused USB devices.
- Use a different USB port on the computer. If you can, connect to a USB 2.0 port.
- If you are using a USB hub, unplug the LifeCam from the hub and plug it directly into your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- Uninstall, and then reinstall the LifeCam software.
- If the LifeCam is reported to be used by some other application, do the following:
- Close the LifeCam software and any other program that may be using your LifeCam. (You cannot run the LifeCam software and make a video call with your instant messenger program at the same time since they both require complete, unshared access to your LifeCam webcam.)
- Start the video call again from your instant messaging program.
If you have some problems with your video \ audio, e.g. you can’t hear \ see your contact, or your contact can’t hear \ see you, do the following:
- Check the connection of the LifeCam. Make sure the LifeCam is properly plugged into the USB port.
- Make sure you have the latest drivers or the latest Windows 10 Update installed.
- Make sure your sound is not muted and check the volume.
- Make sure your Internet connection is fast enough to support video calls.
- Choose the lower resolution in the Dashboard.
Saving Videos and Captures from Your LifeCam
- The LifeCam saves videos and captures to the Users/username/Pictures/LifeCam Files folder by default.
- Make sure you’ve permitted the access to the folder in question for your cam.
- Make sure you’ve got enough free space for storing your videos and pictures. You can change the default folder through the Dashboard interface.
- You want to switch to a new device but don’t have enough means? We at iGotOffer help you save money for your new purchase. We pay the best price online for your old electronic devices. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment: Sell my old Microsoft Surface online now.
Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p Webcam [Video]
Video uploaded by TechWaffle on September 14, 2010.