Microsoft Windows Surface Pro (early 2017), are the entry level (Intel Core M3-7Y30 and Intel Core i7-7660U) and the mid-level (Intel Core i5-7300U) iteration of the next gen hybrid tablets designed and manufactured by Microsoft. It is a Kaby Lake powered hybrid which is identical to the Windows Surface Pro 4th gen in all the other features. The outer design remained the same: a VaporMg seamless casing with bezel edges but the hybrid is lighter and slimmer than its predecessor. In the bottom there are a magnet lock and a pogo pin power connector to plug a detachable keyboard\cover in.
Microsoft Windows Surface Pro 2017
There are three working modes: laptop mode (screen vertical), Studio mode (screen almost flat) and tablet mode without a keyboard. Windows Surface Pro (early 2017) touch screen supports 10 touches, the handwriting with a Surface digital pen and working with the Surface Dial. The hybrid runs on mobile dual core Kaby Lake processor with 4 threads. That means, the processor features two physical cores but in fact has four virtual ones. Windows Surface Pro (early 2017) has two iterations regarding the SSD and RAM capacity. It features a 12.3-inch ClearType Full HD display, a 2.60 GHz Intel Core i5-7300U processor, an Intel HD Graphics 620 graphic processor, 4 GB or 8 GB RAM, a 128 GB or a 256 GB solid state drive aboard. The storage capacity can be expanded up to 200 GB with an SD card. Windows Surface Pro (early 2017, Intel Core I5-7300U) has an USB 3.0 with host support, 3.5 mm audio socket, 2 microphones, 2 Dolby Digital Plus stereo speakers, a Mini Display Port 1.2, one full HD webcam in the front and one in the rear. This is a non-GSM tablet, but it has Wi-Fi 802.11a/ac/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 for wireless connection. Windows Surface Pro (early 2017, Intel Core i5-7300U) is compatible with Surface Pro Signature Type Cover which is available for an extra cost.
- Introduced on: May 23, 2017.
- Display type: PixelSense.
- Display diagonal size: 12.3.
- Display aspect ratio: 3:2.
- Pixel density: 267 ppi.
- Resolution: 2736 x 1824 pixels.
- Contrast ratio: 1406 cd/m2.
- Multi-touch support: 10 touches.
- Pen support: Surface pen.
- Portrait orientation: Yes.
- Processor Speed: 1.0 GHz; 2.6 GHz; 4.0 GHz.
- Turbo Speed: 2.6 GHz; 3.5 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor Upgrade: Soldered.
- Processor type: Intel Core M3-7Y30 (Kaby lake); Intel Core i5-7300U (Kaby lake). Intel Core I7-7660U (Kaby lake).
- Cores: 2.
- Threads: 4.
- Graphics processor: Intel HD Graphics 615. Intel HD Graphics 620. Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640.
- On-Board RAM: 2 GB dual-channel DDR3, 1600 MHz. 4 GB, 8 GB dual-channel DDR3, 1600 MHz.
- Storage: SSD, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, 1 Tb.
- Expandable storage: MicroSD.
- Max. expandable storage: 200 GB.
- Battery: Lithium-ion.
- Battery capacity: 42 Wh.
- Battery Life: up to 13.5 hs.
- Input\Output: USB 3.0 type A, microSDXC card reader, Type Cover Port, 3.5 mm audio socket, 2 microphones, 2. Dolby Digital Plus stereo speakers, Mini DisplayPort 1.2.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Wi-Fi 802.11a/ac/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0.
- SIM-card: None.
- Sensors: ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope.
- Front webcam: 5 megapixels, FHD (1920 x 1080).
- Rear webcam: 5 megapixels, FHD (1920 x 1080).
- Preinstalled OS: Windows 10 Pro.
- OS max. upgrade: Windows 10 Pro (free).
- Windows Hello: Yes.
- Fingerprint Reader: Yes.
- Accessories: Surface Pen, Surface Dial, Surface Pro Signature Type Cover.
- Dimensions: 7.90 x 11.5 x 0.33 inch maximum Weight: 1.69 lb.
- Discontinued: N\A.
- Price: $799, $999, $1299; $1,599; $2,199; $2,699.
- Surface Pro – 128 GB / Intel Core m3 / 4GB RAM – $799
- Surface Pro – 128 GB / Intel Core i5 / 4GB RAM – $999
- Surface Pro – 256 GB / Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM – $1299
- Surface Pro – 256 GB / Intel Core i7 / 8GB RAM – $1599
- Surface Pro – 512 GB / Intel Core i7 / 16GB RAM – $2199
- Surface Pro – 1 TB / Intel Core i7 / 16GB RAM – $2699
The Surface Pro laptop casing is silver grey but the type cover and the Surface Pen to match are of four colors: Platinum, Burgundy, Cobalt Blue and Black. The type cover features the finger print reader. The large glass touchpad supports 5 touches. There’s no magnetic strip or a loop to store the Surface Pen.
Microsoft had dropped the numeric line of Surface tablets cum laptops and sticks to simple Surface Pro with no moniker. More than that, the company seems to have ditched the hybrid description as well and now Windows Surface Pro is positioned like laptop.
The battery life was enhanced due to Kaby Lake energy saving micro-architecture. Save this no new features arrived with this Surface Pro. The Type-C port has also been ignored by Microsoft engineers.
Microsoft got rid of the digit in the Surface hybrid title. So this year Surface Pro is neither 4th nor 5th. Probably due to the fact that the only upgrade it features is that of the processor. The Skylake has been replaced with the Kaby Lake issued only in the first quarter of 2017. The boost in performance and the longer battery life are the powered by the CPU only.
In ergonomics Surface Pro (2017) copies Surface Studio: they share the screen position and the Surface Dial support.
- Want to change for a new model? Trade in your old one for cash. We are not gonna make you rich overnight, we just help you to grow your income and to clean the planet, this is our only goal and main mission: Sell old Surface online today!
Surface Pro (2017) Review [Video]
Video uploaded by Engadget on June 23, 2017.