Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 – Full Information
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is the wired domed and curved keyboard with an original layout and a batch of hot and reprogrammable keys. These include Mail, Web/Home, Search, Back, Forward, My Favorites 1-5, Calculator, Equals, Open / Close Parenthesis, Back Arrow, and Forward Arrow. The keys board is split to give space for a two-way toggle for zooming. Right below the space bar there are back-forward arrow buttons for mouse-free web navigation.
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 also features double functions for functional buttons and media keys, including Mute, Volume +, Volume – and Play/Pause.
Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 has a USB wired interface and won’t work with a PS/2 adapter. The keyboard comes with a non-detachable wrist rest of faux leather and a front snap-on riser for better hands comfort.
- Product name: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.
- Type: Keyboard.
- Keyboard Name: Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.
- Keyboard Connection: USB.
- Full compatibility: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / RT / Windows 7, and Windows Vista.
- Limited compatibility: Apple iOS 8 – iOS 9.1.
- Compatibility logos: Microsoft Windows, Mac Logo, Universal Mac Logo.
- Microsoft Windows PC and Phone top system requirements: Microsoft Windows® 10 / 8.1 / 8 or Windows Phone 10 / 8.1 Update 2, 60 MB of free disk space, USB socket.
- Macintosh PC top system requirements: Apple iOS 8 – iOS 9.1, 30 MB of free disk space, USB socket.
- Software: IntelliType Pro 5.3.
- Keys number: 109.
- QWERTY Key Life: 5,000,000 actuations per key.
- Hot keys: Mail, Web/Home, Search, Back, Forward, My Favorites, My Favorites 1, My Favorites 2, My Favorites 3, My Favorites 4, My Favorites 5, Calculator, Equals, Open Parenthesis, Close Parenthesis, Back Arrow, and Forward Arrow.
- Hot Key Life: 500,000 actuations per key.
- Media keys: Mute, Volume +, Volume -, Play/Pause.
- Media Keys life: 500,000 actuations per key.
- Enhanced Function Key Features: Help, Undo, Redo, New, Open, Close, Reply, Forward, Send, Spell, Save, and Print.
- Typing Speed: 1000 characters per minute.
- Dimensions: 19.8 x 10.3 x 3.26 inches.
- Weight: 45.9 ounces.
- Cable: Keyboard Cable Length 60 inches +/- 6 inches.
- Warranty: 3 years.
- Part #: B2M-00013.
- Windows Certification Kit (WCK) ID:1735432 (32-bit and 64-bit) Windows 10, 1735432 (32-bit and 64-bit) Microsoft Windows 10 / 1608522 (32-bit) and 1612260 (64-bit) Windows 8.1.
- Price: $49.95.
Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 requires some software for work. It comes in a bundle on a CD. The software is to be installed before connecting the keyboard to the desktop. The keyboard requires a free USB port to connect and won’t work with a PS/2 adapter. Obviously, because a lot of programmable buttons ask for a data exchange channel.
Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 features five Favorites buttons and a batch of programmable ones. The silver-colored programmable buttons take the top edge of the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. They can be preprogrammed to open a browser window, an e-mail client, control media playback, and open the desktop calculator. The default programs can be changed to a user’s liking, i. e. IE can be swapped for Firefox or Google Chrome and Outlook – for Hotmail. The key can be programmed also to bring up an entirely different application, or open a particular file. The five Favorites buttons has unchangeable functions assigned to them. My Favorites button calls up a window that shows the list of the functions in question.
The function keys on Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 also sport additional features. There’s a special F lock to toggle between them. With the F Lock on, which is the default position from the box, they perform their standard functions. With the F Lock off, they execute a number of shortcuts, including undo/redo, save, print, and reply/forward/send for e-mail programs. The F keys are all labeled with their secondary functions.
And as a cherry on a top of a cake, Microsoft added two-arrows buttons just below the space bar. It’s meant for web pages’ navigation. The LED indicators are placed in a column just below these arrow buttons, installed in a metal strip that divides the wrist rest pad in half.
Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is a bulky keyboard and takes a lot of place. It doesn’t come in a set with a mouse. The convex shape is claimed to optimally fit the human hands and prevent the carpal syndrome. Yet, this shape takes time to get used to.
The wrist rest pad, though leatherette as such, is a bit harder than the gel pads.
The keyboard is said to be very silent except for the space bar which is said by many to have a clacking sound.
Wiki reports, Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is available in two variants, Business and Retail. Yet, no features of the Business edition are revealed.
Windows 10 Shortcuts
- Windows Key + Tab – Open the new Task View interface. You’ll see your virtual desktops and they stay open when keys are released.
- Alt + Tab – Switche between open windows.
- Windows Key + Ctrl + D – Create a new virtual desktop and switch to it.
- Windows Key + Ctrl + F4 – Close the current virtual desktop.
- Windows Key + Ctrl + Left / Right – Switch to the virtual desktop on the left or right.
- Windows Key + Left – Snap current window to the left side of the screen.
- Windows Key + Right – Snap current window the the right side of the screen.
- Windows Key + Up – Snap current window to the top of the screen.
- Windows Key + Down – Snap current window to the bottom of the screen.
- An excellent way to recycle your old gadget. Sell your old Microsoft Surface online.
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic USB Keyboard 4000 Review [Video]
Video uploaded by OSReviews on May 3, 2012.
Your comments are nice, but you left-off very important details. I just installed the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard. System rebooted correctly and the keyboard worked. The keyboard did not have the software disc, nor did it come with a user manual or any instructions. How do you program the usable keys and get them and the F keys to function properly. Outside of the regular keyboard functions, the rest of the keyboard keys functionality are useless.
Using Windows 10 on a Lenova desktop. [Regular MS keyboard worked perfectly]
You have to install Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center to program the usable keys from within this software. You can download the app from the Microsoft official site.
Don’t worry about the ambiguous future, just work hard for the sake of clarity
can i turn on a keyboard light at start up or can instal one?