Surface Ergonomic Keyboard is the Bluetooth curved cross-platform keyboard. It’s almost a carbon copy of the Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard but for the rip in the middle. The Surface Ergonomic Keyboard features an aluminum casing with Alcantara wrist rest. It has 109 keys, including 8 hot keys and 8 multimedia keys. The hot keys include: Search, Task View, Connect, Settings, Calculator, Show Desktop, Action Center, Screen Lock.
Surface Ergonomic Keyboard
The multimedia keys are: Mute, Volume -, Volume +, Previous Track, Pause/Play, Next Track, Display Brightness -, Display Brightness +. The Surface Ergonomic Keyboard can be paired with Microsoft, Apple and Android tablets with Bluetooth HOGP 4.0 or 4.1. Mac OS should not be older than 10.10.5 and Android – 4.4.2. The Surface Keyboard is powered with 2 AAA Alkaline batteries with approximate life of 12 months.
- Product name: Microsoft Surface Ergonomic Keyboard.
- Type: Portable Keyboard.
- Keyboard Name: Microsoft Surface Ergonomic Keyboard.
- Keyboard Connection: Wireless.
- Wireless Platform: Bluetooth Low Energy compatible 4.0 / 4.1.
- Wireless Frequency: 2.4 GHz frequency range.
- Bluetooth Profile Support: HID Over Gatt Profile (HOGP).
- Wireless Range: 50 feet (obstacles-free).
- Full compatibility: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 8.1, Mac OS v10.10.5/10.11.1, and 10.11.4 / iOS 8.1 – 9.2.1, Android 4.4.2 – 5.0
- Compatibility logos: Windows 10, Bluetooth Smart logo
- System requirements: Bluetooth HOGP
- Software: none
- Encryption Features: AES over Bluetooth LE SSP of Passkey
- Num Pad: yes
- Keys number: 109
- QWERTY Key Life: 10,000,000 actuations per key
- Multimedia Keys: Mute, Volume -, Volume +, Previous Track, Pause/Play, Next Track, Display Brightness -, Display Brightness +
- Multimedia Key Life: 500,000 actuations per key
- Hot keys: Search, Task View, Connect, Settings, Calculator, Show Desktop, Action Center, Screen Lock
- Hot Key life: 500,000 actuations per key
- Typing Speed: 200 characters per minute
- Wrist rest: cushioned
- Dimensions: 18.11 x 9.02 x 1.36 inches
- Weight: 2.23 pounds (1,012 grams) together with 2 AAA alkaline batteries; battery weight may vary
- Keyboard batteries: 2 AAA Alkaline batteries
- Battery life: 12 months
- Color: grey
- Warranty: 1 year
- Part #: 3RA-00022
- Windows Certification Kit (WCK): ID: 1863493 Windows 10 x86 system and 1885782 Windows 10 x64 system
- Price: $ 129.99
- The Surface Ergonomic Keyboard is a full-size keyboard, the numeric pad included. The hot keys go in a row with the functional keys and take the top ridge of the keyboard.
- The keys are chicklet ones, silent and with low-profile. Both Shift keys are of normal lengths and there’re two Windows keys on this keyboard, flanking the blank space key. The typing speed is very good, but then, the keyboard is designed for prodigious typists. Hence, the top class material for wrist rest and a significant but natural curve.
- All the keys are of normal size, including the functional ones. The blank key is split in half and is curved to mirror the lower ridge of the keyboard. As a batteries powered device, the Surface Ergonomic Keyboard lacks the energy consuming backlight.
- The functional keys also feature additional functions. See the list for details below:
F1 – Mute
F2 – Volume down
F3 – Volume up
F4 – Rewind/Back
F5 – Play/Pause
F6 – Forward/Skip
F7 – Brightness Down
F8 – Brightness Up
F9 – Search/Cortana
F10 – Task View
F11 – Wireless display/Project
F12 – Settings
- The case is solid, except for the batteries’ compartment lid on the bottom. Above the lid a power button is hidden. Press and hold it for some seconds to pair your Surface Keyboard with the PC. A tiny white LED indicator, placed just above the Arrows keys is to detect the pairing status. It goes on, winks and goes off in a while. The keyboard is sturdy, large and rather heavy. It’s in no way a portable device unlike the Surface Keyboard but a desktop or an all-in-one system peripheral.
- The Surface Ergonomic Keyboard also features AES encoding. You’re on the safe side when entering your passcodes and passwords for on-line banking, for instance. 128-bit key cipher will see to it. The U.S. government uses the same key to encode the files and the 256-bit key is reserved for top-secret files only. Just for you to be assured that with the Surface Ergonomic Keyboard you’re protected against culprits, intercepting your sensitive data.
- The Surface Keyboard works smoothly with all three tablet OS: Windows, Mac and Android. The only system requirement is Bluetooth HOGP. What does it mean? H stands for HID – Human Interface Devices. In other words, all Bluetooth-connected manipulators like keyboards, mice, trackpads, gamepads. OGP stands for Over GATT Profile. Skipping the techie details, it’s a Bluetooth Low Energy profile. In a tablet’s specs it can be written as Bluetooth LE. While Windows Surface and iPad / iPhone sport the built-in Bluetooth LE support, it might be a good idea to consult your Android device manual first before buying this keyboard.
- The Surface Ergonomic Keyboard has a bug though: you can’t wake your PC from sleep with it. The issue is assigned to some drivers’ malfunctions.
- We know you like a good deal. Here’s your chance to earn money. Sell you old PC online now for top price. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment: Sell old tablet online now.
Surface Ergonomic Keyboard Unboxing [Video]
Video uploaded by Windows Central on November 15, 2016.