What Is a Flagship Phone
Launching a year’s flagship phone is always a headache for manufacturers. Especially for A-brands losing their positions. And LG has failed to pitch against Samsung, Apple and even Lenovo’s Motorola.
A flagship phone should support the large variety of cellular, wireless networks and connections to meet the challenge. It should feature a hi-res multi-touch display, a hi-res cam and support HD video up to 4K. A capacious battery with a prolonged life would complement nicely as well as some special feature to set the flagship apart from the competitors. First such features were fingerprint readers. Since the overall casing design boiled down to rectangular more or less sleek ‘bricks’, it’s a real challenge for engineers.
Rumors About the Specs
Technically, LG phones of V series always embraced the most popular features. V30 will be no exclusion to this book. Three cellular bandwidths, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and a must-have of recent years – NFC, the near-field radio communication for contactless payment and data exchange.
Since iPhone 7 a 3.5 mm audio jack socket has been considered as a somewhat vintage feature but yes, this Korean smartphone will have it aboard as well. Perhaps, due to the presence of a FM radio aboard. The headset’s wire usually serves as an antenna. LG goes old school in many more ways than that. They haven’t ditched the memory card slot and the storage supported is up to 256 GB tops. The battery will be removable. This is really unheard of nowadays! Next time they’ll bring back mechanical keyboard.
OS and Some Features
The phone by LG will be also the only mobile beyond Google Pixel to run on Android 7.1 Nougat. And more than that, Google promises that this flagship will support VR Daydream headset from the box.
As the software from the box goes, V30 is packed with two multi-format players, an audio and a video one, a photo editor and a document editor (not a viewer but an editor!)
But even without the VR glasses V30 can make any user happy with its HD Ready hi-res screen which is even better than that of the closest competitor – Motorola Z Play 2. But it’s not what the V series is famous for. Its highlight is not the dual rear camera and not the OLED display but the secondary always-on touch screen that shows time, fav apps icons and alerts. LGV10 featured just a narrow strip tops of the screen. The LG V30 phone is rumored to have a second display at the bottom of the front panel that will take about one third of it.
The display can house as much as two rows of icons and is meant for app selection or typing with full screen above on or off. It gives the LG V30 the 1990s vibe when all mobiles featured the keys. Not very comfortable from the point of view of everyday use, unless this display can be turned off as well.The bad news about this smartphone is that it won’t be available abroad, even in Canada. LG V30 is meant for the US market only. The company is going to pitch it against other Android flagships at least in pricing terms. We’ll see if a second display and a format-packed multimedia features are enough to take a hand over Motorola, Samsung and Pixel.
Specifications (based on leaks)
- Announced: Expected.
- Network: GSM / HSPA / LTE.
- SIM Factor: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by).
- Dimensions: N/A.
- Weight: N/A.
- Body Protection: N/A.
- Display: IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors.
- Size: 6.2 inches.
- Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (~474 ppi pixel density).
- Multitouch: Yes.
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
- Secondary Display: Yes.
- OS: Android 7.1. (Nougat).
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835.
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.45 GHz Kryo & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo).
- GPU: Adreno 540.
- Internal Memory: 64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 128 GB, 6 GB RAM.
- Extendable Memory: Card slot.
- Card type supported: microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot).
- Back camera: dual 13 MP (f/1.8, OIS, 3-axis, phase detection AF) + 13 MP (f/2.4, no AF), dual-LED flash.
- Features: 1/3″ sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR.
- Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps, 720p@120fps, 24-bit/192kHz stereo sound rec.
- Front camera: 8 MP.
- Sound Alert types: Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- 3.5mm jack: Yes.
- Features: Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Connectivity: WLAN, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot, dual-band, DLNA
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared port: Yes
- Radio: No
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Features: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Java: No
- Preinstalled software: MP3/WAV/FLAC/eAAC+/WMA player, MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265/WMV player, photo/video editor, document editor
- Battery: N/A
- Fast battery charging: Yes (Quick Charge 3.0)
- Talk time: N/A.
- Colors: Titan, Silver, Pink.
See also: Tired of your old cell phone? Switching to a new model? Sell your used phone online today and save money: Sell used cell phone online now!