Troubleshooting with FaceTime
Troubleshooting with FaceTime: Why is FaceTime not working when you make calls, and you’re not seeing anything at all? There are a few reasons which can explain this.
1. In order to use FaceTime, it must be enabled. If you turned it on when you set up your iPhone, you shouldn’t need to worry about this, but if FaceTime isn’t working, you should check this setting, by tapping the Settings app. Scroll down to FaceTime (or Phone in iOS 4). Slide the FaceTime slider to On/Green.
2. You need to have your phone number or email address set up in the FaceTime settings. You do this as part of setting up your iPhone. But if you uncheck it or delete by accident, it will cause problems. Go to Settings – FaceTime and make sure that you have a phone number or email address set, or both, checked in the You Can Be Reached By FaceTime At section.
3. FaceTime calls have to be on Wi-Fi (iOS 4 and 5) – Some phone carriers did not always allow FaceTime calls over their networks (presumably because a video call would require a lot of bandwidth). If you’re not connected to a Wi-Fi network when you place the call, you won’t be able to use FaceTime, if are running iOS 4 or 5. If you’re trying to make a FaceTime call over 3G or 4G (rather than Wi-Fi), your phone carrier needs to support FaceTime. Major carriers do, but not every phone company that sells the iPhone offers FaceTime over cellular.
4. Calls must be between compatible devices. If you’re calling someone on an older iPhone or other kind of cell phone, FaceTime won’t be an option. In this case, you’d think about selling you old iPhone. The person you’re calling needs to have an iPhone 4 or higher, a 4th generation iPod touch or newer, an iPad 2 or newer, or a modern Mac in order to use FaceTime. The newest models have a user-facing camera. This allows the person you’re calling to see you and run the correct software. There is no version of FaceTime for Android or Windows.
5. If you’re not able to FaceTime someone, or can’t receive their calls, you may have blocked them or they may have blocked you. You can check the option by going to Settings > FaceTime > Blocked. You’ll see there a list of anyone whose calls you’ve blocked. Just remove the person from your Blocked list.
6. FaceTime app could be missing from your device entirely. That means that it could be that the app has been turned off using Content Restrictions. To check this, go to Settings. Then tap on General. Next tap on Restrictions. If Restrictions are turned on, look for the FaceTime or Camera options – turning off Camera also turns off FaceTime! If a restriction is turned on for either one, turn it off by moving the slider to White/Off.
7. If FaceTime isn’t working when you use the Phone app, you can try the standalone FaceTime app that comes on iOS 7 and up.
8. If you started to have issues making or receiving FaceTime calls after April 16, 2014, you or the person you are calling to may have an expired device certificate. Updating device will resolve this issue.
9. If you’re using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access, make sure that the ports documented in Using FaceTime behind a Firewall are open. FaceTime requires a broadband connection.
10. When you switch from a voice call to a FaceTime call, the voice call ends. You can’t switch from a FaceTime call to a voice call.
11. When you switch from an audio FaceTime call to a video FaceTime call, the audio FaceTime call ends. You can’t switch from a FaceTime video call to a FaceTime audio call.
12. FaceTime audio calling might not be available with devices purchased or used in China.
If none of these steps help while you are experiencing troubleshooting with FaceTime, you may have problems with your phone or network connection.
- iGotOffer Encyclopedia: all information about Apple products, electronic devices, operating systems and apps.
- iGotOffer.com: the best place to sell my used iPad online. Top cash guaranteed. Free quote and free shipping. BBB A+ rated business.