Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop is the wireless ultra-thin chicklet keyboard bundled with the wireless Designer Bluetooth flat mouse. It features 109 thin low-profile keys plus 6 functional and four Windows 10 hot keys. The functional keys include: play/pause, volume up, volume down, mute, page-, page +. The Windows 10 hot keys include: search / Cortana, share, audio / video output, settings.
Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop
Designer Bluetooth Keyboard features no wrist rest or special tilt, just an unadjustable prop in the front. It’s powered with 2 AA alkaline batteries with an approximate life of 10 months, while the Designer Bluetooth mouse requires 3 AAA alkaline batteries with an approximate life of 6 months, which makes it half shorter.
- Product name: Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop.
- Type: Keyboard-and-mouse.
- Keyboard Name: Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Keyboard.
- Mouse Name: Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Mouse.
- Keyboard Connection: Wireless.
- Mouse Connection: Wireless.
- Wireless Platform: Nordic nRF51822 (Bluetooth Low Energy).
- Wireless Frequency: 2.4 GHz frequency range.
- Wireless Range: 32 feet (obstacles-free) in open air, up to 16 feet in office environment.
- Bluetooth Profile Support: HID Over Gatt Profile (HOGP).
- Full compatibility: Microsoft Windows®10 / 8.1 / 8 / 8.1 / RT 8, Windows Phone.
- Limited compatibility: Mac OS 10.8 – 10.10 iOS 8, Android 4.2 – 5.0.
- Compatibility logos: Compatible with Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / RT , Android Logo, Bluetooth smart logo.
- Microsoft Windows PC top system requirements: Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / RT 8, 60 MB of free disk space, Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.
- Macintosh PC top system requirements: Mac OS 10.8 – 10.10 iOS 8, 30 MB of free disk space, Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.
- Android top system requirements: Android 4.2 – 5.0, Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.
- Software: Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.
- Keys number: 109.
- Keys life: 500,000,000 actuations per key.
- Media keys: play/pause, volume up, volume down, mute, page-, page +.
- Keys life: 500,000 actuations per key.
- Windows 10 Hot Keys: search / Cortana, share, audio / video output, settings.
- Keys life: N/A.
- Typing Speed: Up to 200 characters per minute.
- Dimensions: 15.3 x 4.41 x 0.78 inches.
- Weight: 0.78 ounces.
- Keyboard batteries: 2 AAA alkaline batteries (included).
- Batteries life: 10 months under normal conditions.
- Wrist rest: no.
- Num Pad: yes.
- Mouse tracking system: Microsoft-proprietary BlueTrack Technology.
- Resolution: 1000 ppi.
- Tracking speed: 10 inches per second.
- Scroll wheel: Yes.
- Mouse dimensions: 4.22 x 2.36 x 1.02 inches.
- Mouse weight: 2.82 ounces.
- Mouse batteries: 3 AAA alkaline batteries (included).
- Batteries life: 6 months under normal conditions.
- Warranty: 3 years.
- Part #: 7N9-00003, 7N9-00001.
- Windows Certification Kit (WCK): Mouse ID: 1705706 (32-bit), 1705707 (64-bit) Microsoft Windows 8.1, and 1705708 Microsoft Windows 8.1 RT.
- Keyboard ID: 1709884 (32-bit and 64-bit) and 1709888 Microsoft Windows 8.1 RT.
- Price: $89.98.
Now only the Designer Bluetooth Desktop with part # 7N9-00001 is available in stores. Surprisingly, the technical data sheet does not cover the Windows 10 keys, placed exactly above the numeric pad. The first in the row (from left to right) Search key can also bring up Cortana assistant. The second Share key is obviously engineered with mobile systems in mind, as well as the third key that allows to toggle between audio/video output sources. The fourth key brings up Settings.
The functional Fn keys are also assigned with contrast and brightness secondary functions, but those work under Windows only. The Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop is easily paired with an iMac or Mac Pro, so this detail must be important: you won’t be able to adjust your picture settings with the keyboard.
The keyboard as well can’t boast any adjustable kickstands or wrist rests or whatever. It features just a plank shaped prop under the front edge. The left Shift key is very short, while the right one is of normal length. Yet, Microsoft features this keyboard as an ambidextrous one. The keys travel is soft and noiseless in general, the material of the keyboard is velvety and pleasant to touch.
The mouse in the set doesn’t feature any special or media keys. It’s simple and sleek, but rather flat. In a way, it’s a black carbon copy of Apple Magic Mouse save the scroll wheel. And unlike the Magic Mouse, the Designer Bluetooth Mouse allows to click both buttons simultaneously. The batteries compartment lid slides up to open and is held in place by magnets. When the mouse is active, a tiny white LED indicator, placed on its’ ‘back’ is on. There’s no need to switch off the mouse as it lapses into a stand-by mode after a short period of idling.
The Designer Bluetooth Mouse features the proprietary BlueTrack Technology that allows it to work on any surface, glass and marble including. The key is the high-angle imaging optics which generate more exact surface images instead of blurry, out-of-focus ones, as can be produced by many of the leading laser mice. The blue light laser helps create high-resolution, high-contrast images for better navigation. The wider beam enables illumination of a larger surface area and allows more light to return to the sensor. This goes a long way towards tracking on irregular surfaces like carpet or sofa upholstery, where a smaller beam could get lost between the individual fibers.
- You want to switch to a new Microsoft Surface or another model but don’t have enough means? We at iGotOffer help you save money for your new purchase. We pay the best price online for your old electronic devices. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment: Sell old computer online now.