Wired Desktop 600 is the keyboard-and-mouse set ready from the box. The keyboard is spill resistant, with 109 thin low-profile keys plus 5 functional keys. The latter includes: play/pause, volume up, volume down, mute, calculator hot key with the access to the relevant software. The keyboard also has a Windows key and a numeric pad. F1-F12 keys are a tad too small and the keyboard haven’t got the wrist rest. The connector’s interface is USB. The keyboard can be connected to PCs and tablets with USB OTG. No special drivers needed, as the keyboard supports plug-and-play feature.
Wired Desktop 600
Wired Desktop 600 is compatible with Windows 10 32-bit\64-bit and older versions of Microsoft OS down to Windows RT 8. The keyboard also supports Mac OS X starting with Mac OS 10.7 “Lion” and Android starting with Android 3.2 “Honeycomb”, but it’s functionality will be limited under the software. iOS 7 and iOS 6 won’t be supported at all.
- Product name: Microsoft Wired Desktop 600.
- Type: Keyboard-and-mouse.
- Keyboard Name: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600.
- Mouse Name: Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0.
- Keyboard Connection: USB port.
- Mouse Connection: USB port.
- Full compatibility: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 8.1 / RT 8, Windows 7.
- Limited compatibility: Microsoft Windows RT, Macintosh Mac OS X v10.7x- 10.10, Android 3.2 – 5.0.
- Compatibility logos: Compatible with Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / Windows RT / 7, Mac logo, Universal Mac logo.
- Microsoft Windows PC top system requirements: Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / RT 8.1 / RT 8, and Windows 7, 60 MB of free disk space, USB socket.
- Macintosh PC top system requirements: Macintosh Mac OS X v10.7x-10.10, 30 MB of free disk space, USB socket.
- Software: None.
- Keys number: 109.
- Hot keys: Windows 8 Charms keys, Windows Start key, and Calculator.
- Media keys: play/pause, volume up, volume down, mute.
- Keys life: 20,000,000 actuations per key.
- Dimensions: 17.9 x 6.28 x 1.68 inches.
- Weight (average): 20.1 ounces.
- Keyboard cable length: 78.7 inches.
- Wrist rest: No.
- Mouse tracking system: optical.
- Resolution: 800 ppi.
- Tracking speed: 20 inches per second.
- Scroll wheel: Yes.
- Right & Left Button Life: 3,000,000 actuations.
- Wheel Button Life: 250,000 actuations.
- Mouse dimensions: 4.47 x 2.28 x 1.54 inches.
- Mouse weight: 3.27 ounces.
- Mouse cable length: 72 inches.
- Warranty: 3 years.
- Part #: APB-00002.
- Windows Certification Kit (WCK) Bundle ID: 1731370 (32-bit) and (64-bit) Windows 10, 1608482 (32-bit) and 1612257 (64-bit) Windows 8.1.
How to Clean Your Spill Resistant Keyboard
The Wired Desktop 600 is water resistant keyboard, but it is not immune to liquid and dust though. Yes, it’s true that with spill protection it takes water a longer time to damage contacts. But users should remember, that water resistant keyboards can absorb only a finite amount of liquid. Besides, keep in mind that the mouse in the set is NOT spill resistant.
- Unplug the keyboard from the computer.
- Turn the keyboard upside down and let the residual liquid drop.
- Take an absorbent kitchen towel and sponge the watered areas gently. Remember do not rub the keys!
- If you prefer, you may use a hair dryer for good measure. In this case, dry the keyboard with a hair dryer very thoroughly.
- After the cleaning is done, leave the keyboard for a while to dry.
- Now plug the keyboard back and try its performance by typing a few words and using different keys.
- If the keys are stuck or if they respond with a pause, you will need to tear the keys down to dry the innards of your keyboard. However we strongly suggest not to do this, if you don’t have enough expertise.
- This desktop set combines a spill-resistant keyboard and optical mouse with Microsoft quality and reliability.
- The keyboard has Plug-and-play setup, Quiet Touch keys with quick access to media controls and calculator, and an ambidextrous mouse.
- Ergonomically it seems that the Wired Desktop 600 keyboard is not well designed. First thing, it doesn’t feature the wrist rest. Next, this keyboard does have tilting legs, instead your wrist will rest on a desk at an angle that is precarious for your tendons. So if you type a lot, you may want to look for better organized keyboard from Microsoft. But if you use it “reasonably”, it may be a perfect accessory for its more than reasonably price.
- The typing speed is 1,000 characters per minute, and the noiseless Quiet Touch keys can endure 20 million actuations.
- NO drivers are needed to plug Wired Desktop 600 to the Windows-based PC. Microsoft clearly states that any drivers you can find in the net are products of third parties. Thus you can install them at your own risk, as sometimes these drivers can also incorporate worms or other malware that can damage your system severely.
- Wired Desktop 600 is a membrane keyboard, that’s why it’s so silent. In fact, its’ keys don’t move up and down like the keys on mechanical keyboards. The keys on this keyboard are pressure pads with symbols printed on a flat, flexible surface. The tactile feedback therefore is very low and almost non-existent, so typing on the membrane keyboard is a tricky thing for some people. If you’re response sensitive, look for chicklet keyboards instead.
- Unlike the keyboard, the mouse in the set is light and noisy, both with buttons and with the scroll. We have already mentioned that the mouse is not water-resistant.
- Sell your old electronics to iGotOffer.com. Check on our new prices. We can help you save money by buying your used devices and paying top dollar cash online! Sell old Surface now! Free, instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment.
- Have you discovered our well-known iGotOffer blog? The resource is full of helpful personal articles and links leading to some of the world’s best-known resources about Apple products, news about consumer electronic market, its history and more. Reading our blog and our Apple Encyclopedia, you can gain valuable tips and information on many topics! Great advice is on its way to you!: iGotOffer Blog.