Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen (Core i5, Early 2013)
Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen (Intel Core i5, Early 2013) is the first hybrid tablet designed and manufactured by Microsoft. It’s a portable 2-in-1 computing device in a VaporMg seamless casing with bezel edges and a flip-out kickstand. A magnet lock and a pogo pin power connector are added in the bottom for a detachable keyboard\cover\battery. Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen (Intel Core i5, Early 2013) touch screen supports 10 touches and the handwriting with a Wacom digital pen. The tablet runs on dual core Ivy Bridge processor, its’ screen is brighter and has larger resolution than that of the Microsoft Surface 1st Gen (Mid 2012) features a 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD display, a 1.7GHz Intel Core i5-3317U processor, an Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphic processor, 64GB \ 128GB \ 256GB solid state drive aboard. The storage capacity can be expanded up to 200 GB with an SD card. Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen (Intel Core i5, Early 2013) has an USB 3.0 with host support, 3.5 mm audio socket, 2 microphones, a speaker, a Mini Display Port, one HD webcam in the front and one in the rear. This is a non-GSM tablet, but it has Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 for wireless connection. Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen (Intel Core i5, Early 2013) is shipped with a pen but without a keyboard \ cover. The magnetic detachable keyboard\cover\battery is available for an extra cost.
Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen (Intel Core i5, Early 2013)
- Introduced on February 9, 2013 (USA), May 2013 (UK).
- Display type: LCD.
- Display diagonal size: 10.6.
- Display aspect ratio: 16:9.
- Pixel density: 208 ppi.
- Resolution: 1920×1080 pixels.
- Contrast ratio: 1324:1 (nominal).
- Multi-touch support: 10 touches.
- Pen support: Wacom digital pen.
- Portrait orientation: Yes.
- Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz.
- Turbo Speed: 2.6 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor Upgrade: Soldered.
- Processor type: Intel Core i5-3317U (Ivy Bridge).
- Cores: 2.
- Graphics processor: Intel HD Graphics 4000.
- On-Board RAM: 4 GB dual-channel DDR3, 1600 MHz.
- Storage: SSD, 64 GB \ 128 GB \ 256 GB.
- Storage available to user: 23 GB \ 83 GB \ 212 GB.
- Expandable storage: MicroSD.
- Max. expandable storage: 200 GB.
- Battery: Lithium-ion.
- Battery capacity: 42 Wh.
- Battery Life: up to 5 hs.
- Input\Output: USB 3.0 with host support, 3.5 mm audio socket, 2 microphones, a speaker, Mini DisplayPort.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0.
- SIM-card: None.
- Sensors: ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass.
- Front webcam: 1.2 megapixels, HD (1280×720).
- Rear webcam: 1.2 megapixels, HD (1280×720).
- Preinstalled OS: Windows 8.0 Pro.
- OS max. upgrade: Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 (free if upgraded from Windows 8.1).
- Online services: Windows Store, Xbox Music, OneDrive, Xbox Games, Xbox Video.
- Accessories: pressure-sensitive Wacom Pen, Type Cover, Touch Cover, Power Cover.
- Dimensions: 6.81 x 10.81 x 0.53 inch maximum.
- Weight: 2.0 lb.
Discontinuation and Price
Discontinued: October 22, 2013.
- The Microsoft Surface Pro 1st Gen tablet was originally nicknamed Surface for Windows 8 Pro but renamed prior to market release.
- The kickstand flips out at 22 degrees angle only.
- Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is free.
- It goes along with a Power Cover: cover / keyboard / battery attachment that augments the built-in battery life and protects the screen while looking like a QUERTY keyboard with a touch pad and no numeric pad.
- The 256 GB model was available in Japan only.
- Trade in your old Windows Surface for top cash: We at iGotOffer buy your old consumer electronics for the highest price online, Microsoft Windows included. Sell your old Surface now and save money for a new device.
I sold my Surface 1st gen to iGotOffer for $500 after 4 years of intensive use. Don’t know if it’s the best price on the market, but I couldn’t find any better offer (at least coming from reliable sources). I bought it in 2013 and sold in 2017.