Introduced in July 2011, and the discontinued in the summer of 2016, the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) is a companion to the Thunderbolt-featured Mac laptop only. It features a built-in Thunderbolt / MagSafe octopus cable, a Gigabit Ethernet port and a FireWire “800” port in addition to three USB 2.0 ports, an integrated FaceTime HD web-camera, a mic, and 2.1 speaker system with a subwoofer. The Thunderbolt / MagSafe cable can also charge the laptops, turning the display in a dock station.
Apple Thunderbolt Display: Unboxing & Review [Video]
Video uploaded by DetroitBORG on September 29, 2011
Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-Inch)
As to the image quality, the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) is identical to its predecessor, the Apple Cinema Display LED (27-inch). It shares the brightness, contrast, time response and pixels density parameters as well as the casing design.
July 20, 2011.
- Code name: Thunderbolt Display.
- Frame material: Anodized Aluminum.
- Display type: TFT LCD.
- Display size: 27-inch.
- Format: “wide-screen”.
- Optimum resolution (in pixels): 2560 x 1440.
- Supported Resolutions (in pixels): 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720.
- DPI/PPI: 109.
- Dot/Pixel pitch: N\A.
- Max. display colors: 16.7 Million.
- Viewing angle: 178 degrees horizontal, 178 degrees vertical.
- Response time: 12 ms.
- Brightness: 375 cd/m2.
- Contrast ratio: 1000:1.
- Ambient light sensor: Yes.
- Built-in audio: 2.1.
- Built-in camera: 750p FaceTime HD.
- USB 2.0: 3.
- Firewire: 1 (800).
- Thunderbolt: a built-in Thunderbolt octopus cable.
- DVI: No.
- ADC: No.
- Mini DisplayPort: Yes.
- MagSafe: Yes.
- Power: 250 W.
- Supported MacOS: 10.6.8.
- Dimensions: 19.35 x 25.7 x 8.15.
- Average weight: 23.5 lbs.
Apple Models, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1407.
Apple Order No: MC914LL/A.
Discontinued: June 23, 2016.
Original Price: $ 999.00.
- MacBook Air owners can make up for the lacking an Ethernet port by plugging their laptop into the display.
- The USB ports can charge an iPad, iPhone, or iPod, even without a computer attached. Yet, for synchronization between your portables and a computer you have to plug it in.
|Dimensions||19.35 x 25.7 x 8.15 in|
|Display Size||27 inches|
|See also||Sell your Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) online now|
- The Apple Thunderbolt Display has a one-year limited warranty (which covers the backlights as well), but only 90 days of toll-free telephone support included.
- The Thunderbolt Display was introduced in July 2011. This 27-inch flat panel monitor is the only display currently marketed by Apple Inc.
- The Apple Thunderbolt Display replaced the Apple Cinema Display, and is a member of a line of flat panel computer monitors developed and marketed by Apple Inc. (the first Cinema Display was released in September 1999, and was available in different sizes).