The iMac Core i7 / 3.1 with 21.5-inch screen (late 2012) is the built-to-order iteration of iMac Core i5 3.1 with 21.5-inch with the top class quad core processor – Intel Core-i7 Ivy Bridge. This is the all-in-one desktop computer in an even slimmer all-aluminum unibody casing behind the 21.5” LED-backlit IPS screen with cover glass fully laminated to the LCD and anti-reflective coating. The body depth at its thinnest has 5 mm, though there’s a certain bulge in the center of the back panel. The computer is mounted on an aluminum stand with a slightly tapered foot and an adjusting hinge. The iMac Core i7 3.1 21.5-inch (late 2012) features a quad core 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 I7-3770S processor (Ivy Bridge), with four independent processor cores on a single chip, DMI system bus and an integrated graphics core, 8 GB of RAM, a 1TB GB (5400 RPM) hard drive or an optional 1TB Fusion drive, an SD memory slot card reader, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M graphics with 512 MB of shared memory, a built-in FaceTime HD webcam and stereo speakers, as well as a “Thunderbolt” port and 4 USB 3.0 ports. It also has built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11g) and Bluetooth 4.0. The cooling system is CPU controlled and the in-built speakers are mounted beneath the 21.5” screen for the clearer less distorted sound to bounce off the desk or other surface. The speakers’ grills also work as the vent ones. The iMac Core i5 3.1 21.5-inch (late 2012) is shipped with a compact aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard and either with a “Magic Mouse” or a multi-touch Magic Trackpad.
iMac Core i7 / 3.1 21.5-Inch (Late 2012) BTO/CTO
Introduced on: October 23, 2012
- Codename: Intel Mac Slim Unibody.
- Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz.
- Boost Speed: 3.9 GHz.
- Processor Architecture: 64-bit.
- Processor type: Core i7 (I7- 3770S) “Ivy Bridge”.
- Processor upgrade: LGA 1155 (Socket H2).
- Cores: 4.
- Graphics core: Yes.
- On-Board Ram: 8 GB, DDR3 1600 MHz (no upgrade intended by Apple).
- Max. Ram: 16 GB.
- Video: 21.5″ LED-backlit TFT active matrix LCD, 16:9 widescreen, 1920×1080 pixels max resolution, anti-reflective coating.
- Webcam: FaceTime HD camera 720p, 0.9 MP, 1280 x 720 resolution.
- Graphics: GeForce GT 650M graphics with 512 MB of shared memory.
- Storage: 1TB, 5400-rpm Ultra ATA-66 hard drives.
- SSD supported: 2.5”.
- Fusion drive support: Yes.
- Input\Output: 4x USB 3.0, 2 “Thunderbolt” ports, built-in microphone, built-in speakers, audio out, audio input/output, FaceTime HD webcam, SD card reader, Kensington Lock slot.
- Optical drive: None.
- Card reader: SDXC card.
- Card format: SDXC.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11 a/b/g/n, Gigabit Ethernet Optional 56k V.92 USB modem, Bluetooth 4.0.
- OS: Preinstalled OS: X 10.8.2 (12C3104). OS max. upgrade: current.
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 20.8 x 6.9 inch.
- Weight: 12.5 lb.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model No: A1418 (EMC 2544).
Apple Order Number: BTO/CTO.
Discontinued: September 24, 2013.
- Ivy Bridge processors support more RAM and the latest video codecs; they are capable of 4K video playback. But enhanced performance means enhanced temperature. The Ivy Bridge processors are 10% hotter than the Sandy Bridge ones. This issue is only growing when it comes to overclocking. But, the Intel processors with S-letter in their specs aren’t meant for overclocking originally. See details in Our Guide Book on Intel.
- To recycle old iMac for fast cash: Sell your iDevice to iGotOffer, best price online, free instant quote, fast and secure payment.
27 inch iMac (Core i7 GTX 680MX) Performance Review & Speedtest! (2012). Video uploaded by Tech of Tomorrow, on December 21, 2012.