iPod Touch 5th generation (2012) – Full information
It’s yet another 16 GB model of iPod Touch 5th generation, this time with iSight camera back and in vibrant colors. It is available in aluminum case and six colors: “gray space” with black front glass, silver, pink, yellow, blue and red with white front glass. Apart from that and new identifiers the device is identical to other iPods 5th gen. Every iPod Touch 5th generation features a 4″ widescreen multi-touch IPS Retina display (1136 x 640, 326 ppi) and a couple of cameras: a 5-megapixel rear “iSight” camera with LED flash capable of recording 1080p video and a front 1.2 megapixel “FaceTime HD” 720p camera. Thought short of cellular communication the iPod Touch 5th generation is top wireless communication device. It sports Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11n Wi-Fi embracing both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. The software has been also enhanced embracing Siri and AirPlay. All those features are backed up by a 1 GHz dual-core A5 processor and 512 MB of RAM. The battery supported 40 hours of music playback and 8 hours of video playback.
iPod Touch 5th generation (2012)
- Introduced on September 12, 2012.
- Processor Speed: 1.0 GHz.
- Processor Type: Apple A5.
- Processor Core: 2.
- Onboard RAM: 512 MB.
- Storage capacity: 16, 32 GB, 64 GB.
- Display: 4″ retina display (1136 x 640, 326 ppi).
- Connectivity: USB, wi-fi, Bluetooth.
- Wireless standard: 802.11n 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
- Bluetooth: 4.0.
- OS installed: iOS 6.0. Max. OS upgrade: iOS 9.x).
- Mac support: MacOS X 10.6.8.
- Dimensions: 4.86 x 2.31 x 0.24.
- Average weight: 3.10 oz.
- Navigation: Multitouch screen.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: Battery provides 40 hours (music), 8 hours (video).
- Colors: Space grey, silver, pink, yellow, blue and Product red.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: MGG82LL/A. MGG82LL/A – iPod touch 5G 16 GB in space gray. MGG52LL/A – iPod touch 5G16 GB in silver. MGFY2LL/A- iPod touch 5G16 GB in pink. MGG12LL/A- iPod touch 5G 16 GB in yellow. MGG32LL/A- iPod touch 5G 16 GB in blue. MGG72LL/A – iPod touch 5G 16 GB in red. Apple Model No: A1421 (EMC 2600)
Discontinued: July 15, 2015 with the release of its successor, iPod touch 6th generation.
Price: Initial price – $229 (16 GB) and $299 (32 GB), $399 (64 GB). On June 26, 2014, the pricing for the iPod touch changed. The 16 GB model was now sold at $199 instead of $229, the 32 GB model was sold at $249 instead of $299, and the 64 GB model was sold $299 instead of $399.
- Obviously, this low-entry model is meant for happy owners of iPhones and iPads who don’t need just another portable device of a huge capacity.
- The iPod touch 5th generation was initially only sold in 32 GB and 64 GB models. The first 16 GB model, was introduced on May 30, 2013.
- The first 16 GB model (introduced on May 30, 2013) was available in one color. It lacks the rear iSight camera and the iPod Touch Loop that is included in the 32 GB models. On June 26, 2014, Apple introduced a new 16 GB model. This new version no longer omits the rear camera and has a full range of color options.
- The fifth generation iPod touch features iOS whose interface is based on the concept of direct manipulation, using multi-touch gestures. Interface control elements consist of sliders, switches, and buttons. Interaction with the OS includes gestures such as swipe, tap, pinch, and reverse pinch. All of these gesture have specific definitions within the context of the iOS operating system and its multi-touch interface. The system uses internal accelerometers to help some applications respond to shaking the device (one common result is the undo command) or rotating it vertically (one common result is switching from portrait to landscape mode).
- Users can rotate this iPod touch horizontally to landscape mode to access Cover Flow. This feature shows the different album covers in a scroll-through photo library. To scroll through the library, the user has to swipe a finger across the screen. Alternatively, the user can use headset controls to pause, play, skip, and repeat tracks. However, the earphones (known as Apple EarPods) that comes with the iPod does not include a remote and mic.
- On iPod touch 5th gen, the Voice Control feature can be used to identify a track, play songs in a playlist or by a specific artist, or create a Genius playlist.
- The fifth generation of iPod touch is the first in the iPod touch line-up to include Siri, a feature that allows the user to operate the device by spoken commands.
- Apple improved the fifth generation software in iOS 6 by adding the ability for the user to make restaurant reservations, launch apps, dictate Facebook or Twitter updates, retrieve movie reviews and detailed sports statistics. The voice assistant can help the user while he or she types. In this case, the voice assistant converts speech to text. It also supports iMessage, a specialized instant messaging program and service that allows unlimited texting to other Apple devices running iOS 5 or later.
- Note that the fifth generation of iPod touch (as well as the iPhone 5, iPod Nano 7th generation), iPad 4th generation, and iPad Mini) feature a new dock connector known as Lightning. This dock connector replaced the 30-pin Apple connector which was first introduced by Apple in 2003 on the third generation iPod. The Apple Lightning connector has eight pins and all signaling is digital.
- You can always trade in your old iPod touch for cash: We at iGotOffer buy your old player for the best price on the market. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast payment: Sell old iPod touch.
- iPod touch 4 gen of 2011 is identical to the iPod touch 4 gen FaceTime in everything but colors.
- iPod touch 4 gen of 2012 is identical to the iPod touch 4 gen of 2011 year but ins cut back in capacity and tethering.
Apple iPod Touch (5th Generation): Unboxing & Hands-On.. Published by DetroitBORG on October 11, 2012 Unboxing and hands-on of the new iPod Touch 5 generation.
I tried to sell an iPod Touch 5 gen online, no such luck, too old and too used to be accepted, $5 on your site and they accept it for $1 or don’t take it at all on other websites. OK, it goes to the recycling bin.