The iPod touch 5th gen with no iSight camera entered the market quietly in 2013. It was the entry level device, shrunk in capacity (down to 16 GB) as well as in functionality. The iPod touch 5th gen lacks a 5-megapixel rear “iSight” camera and an iPod loop. Its’ look is also inconspicuous. The iPod touch of 2013 has a silver aluminum back and a black front. Apart from that and new identifiers the device is identical to other iPods 5th gen. Every iPod touch 5th gen model features a 4″ widescreen multi-touch IPS Retina display (1136 x 640, 326 ppi), Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11n Wi-Fi embracing both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. The software has been also enhanced embracing Siri and AirPlay. All those features are backed up by a 1 GHz dual-core A5 processor and 512 MB of RAM. The battery supported 40 hours of music playback and 8 hours of video playback.
iPod Touch 5th Gen (No iSight) 16 GB
Introduced on May 30, 2013.
- Processor Speed: 1.0 GHz.
- Processor Type: Apple A5.
- Processor Core: 2.
- Onboard RAM: 512 MB.
- Storage capacity: 32 GB, 64 GB.
- Display: 4″ retina display (1136 x 640, 326 ppi).
- Connectivity: USB, wi-fi, Bluetooth.
- Wireless standard: 802.11n 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
- Bluetooth: 4.0.
- OS installed: iOS 6.0. Max. OS upgrade: iOS 9.x).
- Mac support: MacOS X 10.6.8.
- Dimensions: 4.86 x 2.31 x 0.24.
- Average weight: 3.10 oz.
- Navigation: Multi-touch screen.
- TV and Video Support: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats, MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats, [and] Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format (Apple’s specifications).
- Audio Formats: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV.
- Photo Support: Can sync iPod-viewable photos in BMP, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PSD (on Mac only) formats.
- Sensors: Three-axis gyro, accelerometer.
- Battery Type: Battery on all configurations provides 40 hours (music), 8 hours (video) playback (Apple-estimated).
- Color: Silver back and black front.
- Environmental Requirements: Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F. Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F. Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing. Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet.
- Ecology requirements: Mercury-free LED-backlit display, arsenic-free display glass, brominated flame retardant-free, PVC-free, recyclable aluminum enclosure.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: ME643LL/A.
Apple Model No: A1509 (EMC 2676).
Discontinued: June 26, 2014.
- Unveiled without a press release, this model lacks the iPod loop (wrist strap) and the iSight camera. Obviously, this economy model was meant for owners of iPhones and iPads, who didn’t need just another cam.
- On this model, the patented multi-touch interface allows the user to control the functions of the system by dragging one or more fingers across the display.
- This 16 GB configuration of the iPod touch 5th Generation was shipped with Apple Earpods (headphones) and a Lightning connector to USB cable. Unlike the other iPod touch 5th Gen configurations, this model lacks the small pop out connector that is present on the rear of the other configurations of the iPod touch 5th Gen.
- This model is fully supported by the most recent version of iOS 9 with the exception of “Transit” functionality. It does not support iOS 10 or subsequent versions of the iOS at all.
- The iPod touch 5th Gen (No iSight) 16 GB model is fully supported by iOS 9 with the exception of Transit functionality. It does not support iOS 10 or subsequent versions of the iOS at all.
- According to Apple this iPod touch version is fully compatible with a Mac running OS X 10.6.8 or later, and iTunes 10.7 or later. It is also compatible with a PC with USB 2.0, Windows 7, Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (SP3) or later, and iTunes 10.7 or later.
- Apple launched the fifth-generation iPod touch in September of 2012 without a 16GB option, just as it did with the third-generation player. All other generations of iPod touch had capacities down to 8GB.
- Language Support (according to Apple official site): English (U.S.), English (UK), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Dictionary Support (according to Apple official site): English (U.S.), English (Australian), English (Canadian), English (UK), Chinese – Simplified (Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke), Chinese – Traditional (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie, Stroke), French, French (Canadian), French (Switzerland), German (Germany), German (Switzerland), Italian, Japanese (Romaji, Kana), Korean, Spanish, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, Flemish, Greek, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic/Latin), Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
- Siri Languages on iPod touch 5th Gen: English (U.S., UK, Canada, Australia), Spanish (U.S., Mexico, Spain), French (France, Canada, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Hong Kong).
- Do you want to switch to a new device? Save money by selling your old iPod touch to iGotOffer for cash: Used iPod touch for sale.
Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation Review. Published by 411DESHAWN on September 12, 2014. Enter the brand new Ipod touch 5th generation. It’s slim, light and has amazing battery life. The A5 Chip is not the fastest but it not slow as well. Records in 1080p and overall takes.