The iMac (500MHz G3, Summer 2000 Special Edition) is the top model of the “Summer Series” line up with the 500 Hz processor, 30 GB hard drive, 128 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro video card with 8 MB of VRAM and a 4X DVD-ROM. It was to replace the iMac (400MHz G3, Slot-Loading Special Edition), but is also similar to the iMac (450MHz G3, Summer 2000). It has fanless cooling system, two FireWire 400 ports, 2 USB 1.1 ports, in-built speakers, 2 headphone mini jacks and supports the external AirPort. The model is made with emphasis on home video editing, offering an optical disk writing drive capable of writing more capacious DVDs rather than CDs. The Summer Series top model is given crisp colors of Graphite and Snow rather than vibrant “Fruit Colors”.
iMac (500MHz G3, Summer 2000 Special Edition)
- Introduced on July 19, 2000.
- Processor Speed: 500 MHz.
- Processor Architecture: 32-bit.
- Processor type: PowerPC 750 “G3”.
- Cores: 1.
- On-Board Ram: 64 MB or 128 MB (Expandable to 1 GB (512 MB supported by Apple).
- Video: 15-inch (13.8-inch viewable) shadow-mask CRT screen with 1024 x 768 pixel resolution.
- Graphics: ATI Rage 128 Pro with 8 MB of VRAM.
- Storage: 30 GB, 5400-rpm ATA-3 up to 128 GB Hard Drive Supported.
- Input\Output: 2x USB 1.1, 2x FireWire 400 2x Headphone mini-jacks, Analog audio input mini-jack, Built-in stereo speakers.
- Optical drive: 4X DVD-ROM.
- Internet \ Wireless connection: Optional 11 Mbit/s AirPort 802.11b (adapter required), 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet, 56k modem 4 Mbit/s, IrDA.
- OS: Preinstalled OS: 9.0.4. OS max. upgrade: 10.4.11.
- Power supply: The power supply in your computer is a high-voltage component and not user-serviceable. If you suspect the power supply needs service, contact your Apple-authorized dealer or service provider. your Apple-authorized dealer or service provider.
- Dimensions: 15.0 x 15.0 x 17.1 inch.
- Weight: 34.7 lb.
- Colors: Graphite, Snow.
If the computer “freezes” during startup or you see a flashing question mark, do the following:
- Turn off system extensions.
- Start up your computer while holding down the Shift key.
- If that doesn’t work, start up using the software install CD.
- Insert your software install CD and start up while holding down the C key. (Make sure the Caps Lock key is not engaged.)
Then do the following:
After the computer starts up:
- Make sure that the hard disk that contains the System Folder is selected in the Startup Disk control panel.
- Choose Mac Help from the Help menu. Look at the section on how to prevent and solve problems. You may need to check for extension conflicts or reinstall your computer’s system software.
If you notice that the background picture is different:
- You probably started up your computer using the system software on a CD instead of your hard disk. If this is the only way that you can start up your computer, reinstall the system software on your hard disk. Look for instructions in Mac Help or use the Installer application on your software install CD.
If the computer won’t turn on or start up:
- First, make sure the power cord is connected.
- Make sure both ends of the power cord are plugged in securely.
- Make sure the power cord is plugged into a working electrical outlet. If your computer is plugged into a power strip, make sure the power strip is turned on. If that does not work, reset the computer’s PRAM memory.
- Start up the computer and immediately hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys until you hear the startup sound a second time. After resetting PRAM, you may have to reset the settings in some of your control panels.
If that doesn’t work, or if you hear several musical tones during startup try the following:
- If you recently installed additional memory, make sure that it is correctly installed and that it is compatible with your computer.
- See the service and support information that came with your iMac for information on having your computer serviced.
- Change your seated position, stand up, or stretch whenever you start to feel tired. Frequent short breaks are helpful in reducing fatigue.
- Use a light touch when typing or using a mouse and keep your hands and fingers relaxed.
- Some computer users may develop discomfort in their hands, wrists, or arms after periods of intensive work without breaks.
- If you begin to develop chronic pain or discomfort in your hands, wrists, or arms, consult a qualified health specialist immediately.
- Allow adequate workspace so that you can use your keyboard and mouse comfortably. Place papers or other items so you can view them easily while using your computer. A document stand may make reading papers more comfortable.
- Eye muscles must work harder to focus on nearby objects. Occasionally focus your eyes on a distant object, and blink often while you work.
- Clean your screen regularly. Keeping the screen clean helps reduce unwanted reflections.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Model No: M5521 (EMC 1857).
Apple Order number: M7651LL/A – Graphite, M7709LL/A – Snow.
Discontinued: February 22, 2001.
- The benchmarks tests showed the iMac (500MHz G3, Summer 2000 Special Edition) is 17 percent faster than its predecessor and doesn’t need virtual memory increasing for better game performance.
- Encoding and recording times were also significantly improved. Users liked the keyboard and the mouse shipped with that model but some found the Pro Mouse a bit “spongy”.
- Power-saving and environmental features: This iMac’s display is equipped with energy-saving features that allow the display to conserve energy when the computer is not in use. For instructions on adjusting the system and display sleep settings and additional energy-conservation information, see Mac Help.
- As an ENERGY STAR partner, Apple has determined that this product meets the ENERGY STAR guidelines for energy efficiency. The ENERGY STAR program is a partnership with office product equipment manufacturers to promote energy efficiency. Reducing energy consumption of office products saves money and reduces pollution by eliminating wasted energy.
- Sell old iMac for fast cash: We Buy Your Used iMac for Top Dollar Cash. Instant Quote!