The iPod Classic Color Display U2 Special Edition is identical to the 20 GB configuration of the iPod 4th gen in hardware, but has a special edition case featuring a black front, a stainless steel back with laser etched signatures of the U2 band members, and a red ClickWheel. An “exclusive” U2 poster and a US$50 discount coupon for “The Complete U2” “box set” download came in a bundle. It cost US$30 more. The iPod classic 4th Gen acquired a lot of features from the junior model iPod nano, including: the touch-sensitive scroll wheel with four auxiliary buttons under it; the energy-efficient components, enhancing the battery life for over 12 hours of music playback, while the battery remained as in the previous model. The iPod classic 4th Gen case became thinner of course, while the accessories to go by were cut back by the Apple for some editions. Initially, the two models were being offered: the 20 Gb model and the 40 Gb model, but later on October 26, 2004, the iPhoto was introduced as the iPod classic 4th Gen premium edition. The device featured a 220 x 176 pixel LCD capable of displaying up to 65,536 colors. It supported JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, and PNG graphic file formats, and the users could attach their iPods to TV or other external display for slideshows via a bundled TV cable.
iPod Classic Color Display U2 Special Edition 20 GB
Introduced on June 28, 2005.
- Processor Speed: 80 MHz (x2).
- Processor Type: PP5020.
- Onboard RAM: 32 MB.
- Storage capacity: 20 GB (5000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format, 20000 photos) and 60 GB (15000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format, 25000 photos).
- Connectivity: Firewire, USB (sync and charge), dock, headphones.
- Mac support: Mac 10.1.5.
- Audio: A high output amplifier (60-mW), a standard 3.5-mm headphone jack. This model supports for the first time Audible format.
- Drive: 1.8” hard drive.
- Dimensions: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.57.
- Average weight: .5.6 oz.
- Navigation: Click wheel.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: Lithium ion battery provides 12 hours of music playback.
- Display: The iPod classic (4G) models has 2-inch (diagonal) grayscale LCD with blue-white LED backlight”. 0.24-mm dot pitch.
- Color: White.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation
Apple Order: N\A. Apple Model No: A1099 (EMC 2022).
Discontinued: October 12, 2005.
- The iPod Color U2 Special Edition is considered the precious collection item nowadays. The player was to celebrate the release of the U2 famous album “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb”.
- Trade in your old iPod classic for fast cash: We buy old iPod classic and other Apple iDevices. We pay the best price online! – Sell your iPod online.