Many iPhone owners think about upgrading and selling their devices to jump to new models. Before trading your iPhone, be sure to prepare your smartphone for sale the right way. You should back it up, clear out all of your data, and deactivate the device from your cell service provider. With backups in place you will be able to upgrade to a new iPhone easily by picking up exactly where you left off, with settings, apps and all. Many experts recommend making a double backup, one stored locally on a computer, and another stored in iCloud. This procedure guarantees that you will have an accessible backup available when your iPhone arrives.
Getting Ready to Sell iPhone Online
How to prepare my iPhone for sale
Getting ready to sell iPhone or any other cell phone is easy and doesn’t require time or technical knowledge.
Reset the device before selling your iPhone online. Indeed, the iPhone is a small computer. Sometimes you need to reset your device to fix problems or before you sell tour used iPhone.
Disable iMessage: Disabling iMessage insures that the number won’t accidentally get inbound iMessages aimed at you after it changes ownership. To disable iMessage, open Settings, go to Messages. Flip the switch for iMessage to OFF.
Unregister the iPhone with Apple: Unregistering your smarthphone removes it from your associating with your Apple ID. Log into Apple support with your Apple ID. Select the iPhone from the list of devices, choose Unregister and confirm that you want to unregister your iPhone with your Apple account.
Before you sell used phone online, prepare it for trade-in:
- Back up any personal data on your phone that you want to keep (such as documents, music, photos, videos, apps, etc.)
- Deactivate account: Remove the SIM card. If the phone doesn’t have a SIM card, contact your service provider to deactivate its mobile service.
- Reset your phone: Delete all personal data by resetting the phone to the factory default settings.
- Get the quote from iGotOffer.com for your used phone
- If you agree with the quote, send your phone to iGotOffer.com to get the best price online on the market!
Erase Your Data Before You Sell iPhone
You can remove all settings from your iPhone tapping Erase All Content and Settings. Use Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This procedure will erase your old iPhone.
Before removing all settings and information ensure that you have an iCloud or iTunes backup and that it is up to date. (Just in case you wish to recover the data again).
Remember that when you select to Erase All Content and Settings the process can take from a few minutes to several hours. This time depends on the storage capacity of your iPhone. (Don’t forget to connect your device to a charger. Leave it connected until the process is complete!).
Your iPhone wasn’t able to remove all the settings and data due to some technical issues? In this case select Erase All Content and Settings option again.
To get the iPhone to its factory default state for the new owner, remove all your personal data and any valuable information in order to protect your privacy.
Here is how you should proceed:
- Back up your device.
- Sign out of iCloud.
- Erase all content and settings. Thus, the next owner will be able to activate the device without any problem.
Remove Your Credit Or Debit Cards
If you’re using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com before you sell online your iPhone. To do so choose Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay. Then click your device and click Remove next to Apple Pay.
Note that if you’re unable to erase your iPhone, you can change your Apple ID password. Thus the new owner won’t be able to delete your information from iCloud. On the other hand, remember that changing the password won’t remove any personal information that is cached before you sell iPhone.
Unlock the iPhone
Before you sell your iPhone unlock it to boost its resale value. The reason to bother is that it increases the value of the phone. Once unlocked your used iPhone can be used on alternate GSM carriers. You will need to contact your carrier directly to inquire about its unlock and request a carrier unlock. You may need to contact your carrier directly to inquire about its unlock and request a carrier unlock.
Remove SIM Cards
Before you sell your iPhone, remove the SIM card and deactivate the device. Deactivating your used iPhone prevents the phone from making and receiving calls or transferring data. Remember that you do not want deactivate the cellular account. Deactivate thus only the device itself. Otherwise you may lose your phone number.
Never forget to erase the iPhone & Reset to Factory Defaults only after you have made a backup. Otherwise you will lose everything you once had on the iPhone itself!
- Getting ready to sell your used iPhone online? Sell now while the price is still high! We at iGotOffer pay the best prices online for your used cell phones, check out our prices. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment: Sell my iPhone now. Once on the page, choose the brand. It’s easy, just click on one of the logos you see at the top of this page: Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC, Blackberry, Nokia, etc. Then follow very easy instructions for each brand and model to find out how much your old cell phone is worth. Best place to sell your used iPhone or any other cell phone for the top price online. Free quote. BBB A+ rated business.
- See also iGotOffer Blog: Blog, all information about Apple products, electronic devices, operating systems and apps.
History of the iPhone. Video published by White Apple, on January 21, 2016.