The Apple Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 serves as the built-to-order configuration of the Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66. The 2.0 and the 2.66 models are identical except for the processor.
Apple Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 (Original)
Introduced on August 7, 2006.
- Processor: Intel Xeon 5100 Series.
- Processor Speed: 2.0 GHz.
- Processor Type: D. Core Intel Xeon 5130 x2.
- RAM Type: PC5300 DDR2 ECC.
- Standard RAM: 1 GB.
- Video Card: GeForce 7300 GT.
- VRAM Type: GDDR2 SDRAM.
- Display Support: According to Apple’s reports, this model can support up to eight displays with four NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics cards installed, each supporting two displays.
- Resolution Support: 2560 x 1600.
- Standard Hard Drive: 250 GB (7200 RPM).
- Connectivity: Airport Extreme 802.11a/b/g and draft-n (optional; n disabled by default). 2x gigabit Ethernet Optional 56k V.92 USB modem. Optional Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR.
- OS: Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.4.7 (8K1079). Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5.
- Maximum Windows: XP SP2.
- Battery: 922-6476 3.6V lithium battery. This Mac Pro uses an internal backup battery. The CR 2032 Lithium battery preserves settings, such as the date and time, when your Mac Pro is off.
- Dimensions: 20.1 in height, 8.1 in width, 18.7 in depth.
- Average Weight: 42.4 lbs.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order Number: As a custom configuration of the Mac Pro “Quad Core” 2.66, this model does not have its own order number.
Apple Model Number: A1186.
Discontinuation: January 8, 2008.
Initial Price: US$2199.
- This model has a DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive, which can read CD-ROM, photo CD, audio, and DVD discs. It can write music, documents, and other files to CD-R, CD-RW, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD+R Double Layer (DL) discs. To open the drive, press the Media Eject (C) key on your Apple Keyboard. If your Mac Pro has a second optical drive, press the Option and Media Eject (C) keys to open it.
- Hard disk drive: This Mac Pro comes with up to four hard disk drives installed in the drive carriers.
- The Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 has four expansion slots (PCle). According to Apple’s reports, the system is also provided with configurable bandwidth supporting 16-lane cards.
- Adding PCI Express Cards: The user can expand the capabilities of the Mac Pro by installing cards in the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) Express slots. The Mac Pro has one double-wide PCI Express graphics slot and three PCI Express expansion slots, for a total of four slots. These slots accommodate PCI Express graphics cards and expansion cards.
- About PCI Express Cards: The Mac Pro comes with a high-performance PCI Express graphics card, which contains the graphics processor unit (GPU) and provides the computer’s display ports. The graphics card is installed in slot 1. You can install additional PCI Express graphics and expansion cards. Before installing a card, check its specifications to make sure it can operate in the computer. To adjust the bandwidth of the PCI Express slots in the Mac Pro, use the Expansion Slot Utility, located on your startup disk in /System/Library/Core Services/. An important note: Combined maximum power consumption for all four PCI Express slots must not exceed 300 watts (W). To install a PCI Express card: 1) Open the computer and remove the side panel (Apple warns that to avoid damaging internal components or the components you want to install, the user should always turn off and then unplug your Mac Pro. The user should not attempt to install items while it is plugged in. Let your computer cool down for five to ten minutes before you touch the internal components, which may be too hot to touch) 2) Lay your Mac Pro down on a soft, clean cloth to avoid scratching it or the work surface. 3) Unscrew the captive screws in the PCI bracket and remove the bracket. 4) Remove the port access cover from the slot in which you plan to install the card. 5) Remove your new card from its static-proof bag and hold it by its corners. Don’t touch the gold connector or the components on the card. 6) Align the card’s connector with the expansion slot and press the card into the slot. 7) Press the card gently but firmly until the connector is fully inserted. Press only on the bare areas of the card to avoid damaging the components. 8) Pull the card gently to see if it is properly connected. If it stays in place and its gold connectors are barely visible, the card is connected. 9) Replace the PCI bracket and tighten the screws to secure the card. 10) Replace the side panel and push the latch down to secure.
- Battery: if this model of Mac Pro has trouble starting up, or if the system date and time are frequently incorrect, you may need to replace the battery. If you notice intermittent problems when the Mac Pro starts up or changes in the date and time settings, you may need to replace the battery. To replace the battery: 1) Open the Mac Pro and remove the side panel. 2)Remove any PCI Express cards that block access to the battery. 3) Remove the old battery from the holder. 4) Insert the new battery in the holder with the positive (+) side facing up. 5) Replace the PCI Express cards that you removed. 6) Replace the side panel and push the latch down to secure it. Apple warns that installing the battery incorrectly may cause an explosion. You should use only the same type of battery or an equivalent recommended by the manufacturer of the original. 7) Slide the old battery out. 8) Insert the new battery with positive (+) side up. Don’t forget to dispose of the old battery according to your local environmental laws.
- The announcement of the Mac Pro, the “Quad Core” 2.0 version being the first one introduced in the series, completed the transition to Intel processors having replaced the previous PowerMac G5.
- Trade in your old Mac Pro for fast cash and save money for a new Mac: We at iGotOffer buy your used and old Mac Pro for the highest price online. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment: Sell my Mac Pro.
MacBook Pro i7 2.0 GHz quad-core, 120GB SSD + 750GB, 8 GB RAM, Antiglare HD display. Published by Micha Mazaheri on July 25, 2013. This is a truly awesome machine, the best quality upgrades I made gives the machine huge speed (mainly thanks for the SSD), storage space.