The Apple Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 (2009/Nehalem) is the new system in the Mac Pro series introduced in March 2009. The model is powered by one Xeon W3520 (Nehalem) processor. While remaining practically identical to the Early 2008 models, there are major technical differences introduced to the new version, including a faster architecture and a boosted y “Turbo Boost” processor speed.
Apple Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 (2009/Nehalem)
Introduced on March 3, 2009.
- Processor: Xeon W3520.
- Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz.
- Processor Type: Q. Core Xeon W3520.
- RAM Type: PC3-8500 DDR3 ECC.
- Standard RAM: 3 GB.
- Video Card: GeForce GT 120.
- VRAM Type: GDDR3 SDRAM.
- Display Support: Up to 8 Displays.
- Resolution Support: 2560 x 1600.
- Standard Hard Drive: 640 GB.
- Connectivity: Standard AirPort 802.11a/b/g/n (optional). Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. USB Ports (5). Firewire Ports.
- OS: Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.5.6. Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.
- Minimum Windows: XP SP2.
- Maximum Windows: 8.1.
- Dimensions: 20.1 in height, 8.1 in width, 18.7 in depth.
- Average Weight: 39.9 lbs.
Apple Mac Pro “Quad Core” 2.66 (2009/Nehalem) Technical Specifications As Described by Apple
- Processing: 8-core – Two 2.26GHz, 2.66GHz, or 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processors. Quad-core – one 2.66GHz, 2.93GHz, or 3.33GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3500 series processor. Next-generation Intel microarchitecture is equipped with 8MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor, integrated memory controller, Turbo Boost dynamic performance (up to 3.33GHz on 8-core 2.93GHz system, up to 3.6GHz on quad-core 3.33GHz system), Hyper-Threading technology for up to 16 virtual cores 128-bit SSE4 SIMD engine, 64-bit data paths and registers, optimized for energy efficiency.
- Memory: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRA; 8-core: Eight memory slots (four per processor) supporting up to 32GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs; Quad-core: Four memory slots supporting up to 16GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs.
- Graphics and displays: Double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot with one of the following graphics cards installed – NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, PCI Express 2.0, one Mini DisplayPort, and one dual-link DVI port; ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, one Mini DisplayPort, and one dual-link DVI port; Multiple graphics card configurations available with two, three, or four NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 cards; Support for up to eight 30-inch displays (LWAd is the statistical upper-limit A-weighted sound power level (rounded to the nearest 0.1 B). ; Support for digital resolutions up to 2560 by 1600 pixels Support for analog resolutions up to 2048 by 1536 pixels; Video adapters available for additional DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional) and aditional dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional); VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or DVI to VGA Display Adapter (optional).
- Communications: Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames; Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR); Optional AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking card;2 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible.
- Storage: Four 3.5-inch cable-free, direct-attach hard drive bays with built-in independent 3Gb/s Serial ATA channels; four internal hard drive carriers included; Up to 8TB of internal storage3 in hard drive bays 1 through 4 using hard drives in the following capacities: 640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 16MB cache 1TB or 2TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 32MB cache; Optional Mac Pro RAID Card with 512MB cache and 72-hour cache battery backup; 18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW); Writes DVD+R and DVD-R discs at up to 18x speed; Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 8x speed; Writes DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed; Writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed; Reads DVDs at up to 18x speed; Writes CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 32x speed; Reads CDs at up to 32x speed; One open optical drive bay for optional second SuperDrive.
- Electrical and operating requirements: Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 200-240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage); Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz single phase; Current: Maximum of 12A (low-voltage range) or 6A (high-voltage range); Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F; Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F; Relative humidity: 5% to 95% (noncondensing); Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet.
- Environmental Status Report: BFR-free; PVC-free (internal cables); Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure; Meets ENERGY STAR 5.0 requirements (Mac Pro systems configured with a Mac Pro RAID card or Fibre Channel card do not meet ENERGY STAR and EPEAT requirements); Rated EPEAT Gold.
- Acoustic Performance: Declared nois emissions in accordance with ISO 9296.
- Connections and audio: Four FireWire 800 ports (two on front panel, two on back panel); Five USB 2.0 ports (two on front panel, three on back panel); Two USB 2.0 ports on included keyboard; Front-panel headphone minijack and internal speaker; Optical digital audio input and output TOSLINK ports; Analog stereo line-level input and output minijacks; PCI Express expansion; Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots; One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot; Two PCI Express 2.0 x4 slots; All slots provide mechanical support for 16-lane cards
300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots.
- Software: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools), iLife (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand). The usercan also have the following software pre-installed, only at the Apple Online Store: iWork, Final Cut Express, Aperture, Logic Express, Filemaker.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order Number: MB871LL/A.
Apple Model Number: A1289.
Discontinuation: July 27, 2010.
Initial Price: $2499.
- Originally, Apple officially supported a maximum of 8 GB, which is how the system was first shipped. However, it was later discovered that the system could support 16 GB of Ram using four 4 GB memory modules.
- The system replaces the frontside bus with a “QuickPath Interconnect” system that provides faster access to I/O, the disk, and other subsystems.
- Check on our prices for your old Mac Pro. Sell it now to iGotOffer.com and save money for new Apple models: Sell Mac Pro online for top dollar. Free instant quote, free shipping, fast and secure payment.
Mac Pro CPU Upgrade- Nehalem 2009 4.1. Video published by g4sean on November 15, 2011. The video shows how to Upgrade a MACPRO Nehalem 2009 4.1 CPU.