The Apple TV 3rd generation is externally identical to Apple 2nd generation model, and includes a single-core A5 processor. It supports 1080p content from iTunes, YouTube, Flick, Netflix and other services. The Apple TV 3rd generation was primarily a feature upgrade to the previous Apple TV 2nd generation. New features included 1080p video output, a faster A5 processor, a new user interface. Apple TV 3rd generation model makes it easy to rent or purchase content from Apple and stream or mirror content from an iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac computers or PC.
Apple TV 3rd Generation
Introduced: On March 7, 2012 during the presentation led by Apple CEO Tim Cook (the event mainly dealt with the iPad 3rd generation). On January 28, 2013, Apple released an Apple TV 3rd generation Rev A which included component changes.
- Processor: Single-core A5 (the Apple TV 3rd Generation actually uses a standard dual-core A5, with one core disabled. A revision in January 2013 included a redesigned A5 chip with only a single physical core).
- CPU: Apple A5 (ARM Cortex-A9, Single Core). CPU Speed: 1.0 GHz.
- FPU: integrated. Register Width: 32-bit. Data Bus Width: 64-bit. Address Bus Width: 32-bit. Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction. Level 2 Cache: 1 MB on-processor.
- Onboard RAM: 512 MB.
- Video: GPU – dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 (via A5).
- Maximum resolution: 1080p.
- Video Out – HDMI.
- Storage: 8 GB.
- Input/Output: USB: 1 Micro-USB.
- Audio Out: HDMI, optical TOSLINK.
- OS: iOS. Minimum OS – Apple TV Software 5.0 (iOS 5.1.1). Maximum OS – Apple TV Software 7.2 (iOS 8.3).
- Resolution: 1080 pixel.
- Networking: Ethernet: 10/100Base-T. Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n.
- Power: 6 Watts.
- Dimensions: 0.9″ Height x 3.9″ Width x 3.9″ Depth.
- Weight: 0.6 lbs.
Appe Model, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Model Numbers: MD199LL/A – AppleTV3,2 – A1469 – 2633.
Discontinuation: October 4, 2016.
Initial price: US$ 99. On March 9, 2015, Apple reduced the price of the third generation (Rev A) Apple TV to $69.
- Apple TV 3rd generation Rev A released on January 27, 2013 includes component changes and hadsa smaller version of the Apple A5 processor (S5L8947). It supports Peer-to-Peer AirPlay running Apple TV Software Update 7.0 or later.
- Apple TV 3rd generation runs a variant of the iOS that powers the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad models, but it does not formally run the iOS and it cannot run iOS applications either.
- Connectivity includes HDMI, optical audio, 10/100Base-T Ethernet, a single Micro-USB port for service and diagnostics, and 802.11a/b/g/n wireless networking as well as Bluetooth 4 (after the Apple TV 6.1 update).
- Apple TV 4th Generation: On September 9, 2015, the fourth generation Apple TV was introduced under the slogan of The future of TV is apps. While being almost identical to the 2nd and 3rd generation models, the forth generation Apple TV is taller in size. It features a new touch remote allowing swipe-to-select functionality. It also has integrated Siri support, and motion sensor. The Siri button allows several functions, including searching across providers for content, accessing additional metadata, and video/audio controls. The device uses a new operating system, tvOS.
- Trade in your old Apple TV 3rd generation: We Buy Used Apple TV 3rd Generation.
Apple TV (3rd Generation) 1080p: Unboxing & Demo. by DetroitBORG. Published on March 15, 2012. Unboxing and review of the new 2012 Apple TV 3rd Generation.