The Apple TV 4th generation was the first major update to the platform since the release of the 2nd generation Apple TV in September 2010. This model looks externally similar to the previous models, however, it runs on tvOS which is based on the iOS. It has its own third-party app library for a wide variety of native apps and games, rather than just a small number of pre-installed channels like earlier Apple TV devices.
Apple TV 4th Generation
The Apple TV 4th generation also includes a Siri Remote with Siri voice command support. A glass surface assures precise navigation. An accelerometer and gyroscope have been designed for advanced game controller options. While following the form factor of the previous models, this model is slightly taller in size. It features a touch remote which allows swipe-to-select functionality instead of the remote’s arrow button. It’s also equipped with integrated Siri support on the remote, with a built in microphone and accelerometer (IMU). The Siri button allows users to search across providers for content, access additional metadata, and use video/audio controls. The Apple CEO Tim Cook said at its first presentation, “The future of TV is apps.” He added that the Apple TV needed a modern OS.
- Announced on September 9, 2015
- Released in October 2015
- Processor: Dual core Apple A8 processor. Processor Speed – 1.4 GHz.
- Processor Type: Apple A8.
- Onboard RAM: 2 GB.
- Storage: Available with either 32 GB or 64 GB of internal flash memory storage.
- OS: tvOS (13T396a) with an associated app store, allowing download of third-party apps for video, audio, games, and other content. tvOS is 95% based on iOS 9 with the interface and APIs being tweaked to support the big screen.
- Video: Supports 1080p video, but not 4K video.
- Connectivity: HDMI, 10/100 Base-T Ethernet. 802.11ac wireless networking.Bluetooth 4.0.
- Input/output: USB-C port for service and support (and hacking),
- Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 1.4
- Average weight: 0.94 lbs.
Apple Models, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Identifier: A1625 (EMC 2907)
Apple Model Number: MGY52LL/A
- US$149 (32 GB storage)
- US$199 (64 GB storage)
- The new tvOS allowed users to stream content from a limited range of providers, with others able to release apps using new APIs which allow them to do so. All these apps and games must include interfacing with the new touchpad-enabled Siri remote.
Once set up, the Apple TV appears in iTunes with a series of tabs allowing the user to choose which videos the user wants to copy to the device. The user can also browse his entire iTunes Library directly from the Apple TV and stream the files in real time. This is fine for music, but depending on the speed of the network, not ideal for video.
Apple TV 4th Generation
|Model Number||A1625 (EMC 2907)|
|Family||Apple TV 4th generation|
|Dimensions||3.9 x 3.9 x 1.4 in|
|HDMI||HDMI 1.4 (720p or 1080p)|
|Wi-Fi||802.11a/b/g/n/ac with MIMO|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology|
|Input/output||IR receiver. USB‑C (for service and support)|
|See also||Sell your Apple TV (4th generation) online now|
- The Apple TV is a digital media player and network appliance. This device can receive digital data from a number of sources and play it on the TV screen. The Apple TV connects to a television via an HDMI cable to the TV’s HDMI port, and the TV is put into HDMI mode. The device is controlled externally, either by an Apple Remote control device or by the iTunes Remote app on iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Apple Watch. Apple TV also plays digital content from various cable and broadcast networks.
- Upon the launch of the Apple TV 4th generation, there were several issues, which included incompatibility with Apple’s Remote app for iOS and WatchOS. These issues were fixed by Apple in December 2015.
- With the 4th generation Apple TV, Apple announced that the App Store will allow any developer to make apps using the APIs available in tvOS specifically tailored towards the TV. Also, since tvOS is based on iOS, any developer can port over apps from iOS and, with a few modifications, make them available for all Apple TV 4th generation users with the App Store. The App Store is an exclusive feature to the Apple TV 4th generation.
- With the 4th generation, apps may use alternative built-in software in order to play the third-party’s codecs and formats, e.g. Plex/ VLC Media Player.
- Apple TV 4th Generation – Important Product Information by Apple (PDF format).
- Apple TV 4th Generation – User Guide by Apple.
- Looking where to sell Apple TV 4th generation? – Try our Website : Sell Apple TV fast for top dollar cash.
Apple TV 4th Generation Unboxing and Review [Video]
Video uploaded by DetroitBORG on November 3, 2015
This is a comprehensive unboxing and review of the new A8 powered 4th Generation Apple TV. This includes a detailed setup and tour of tvOS and a demonstration of the App Store, Siri Remote, Gaming, and much more.