To control Apple TV using Apple Watch, you must at first set up Apple Watch as a remote for Apple TV (See our text: Setting Up Apple Watch as a Remote for Apple TV). Then you can swipe the Apple Watch screen to move the selection highlight on the screen connected to Apple TV, and tap the Apple Watch screen to give the equivalent of the Select button on the physical remote. You can navigate quickly around the menu structure by tapping the Menu button.
- 1 How to Control Apple TV Using Apple Watch
- 1.1 How to Open the Remote App
- 1.2 How to Connect to Apple TV
- 1.3 How to Navigate Apple TV and Control Playback
- 1.4 Apple Watch as a Remote Control for Apple TV or iTunes as Seen by Apple
- 1.5 How to Set up Your Apple TV and the Remote app
- 1.6 How to Control Your Apple TV
- 1.7 How to Set up iTunes and the Remote app
- 1.8 How to Control iTunes
- 2 Links
How to Control Apple TV Using Apple Watch
How to Open the Remote App
- Lift your wrist to wake Apple Watch, and the watch face will appear.
- Click the Digital Crown, and the Home screen will appear.
- Tap Remote, and the Remote app will open.
How to Connect to Apple TV
- Turn the Digital Crown as needed to display the icon for the Apple TV.
- Tap the Apple TV icon to connect the Remote app to the Apple TV.
How to Navigate Apple TV and Control Playback
- Tap and hold Menu.
- When the main menu appears on Apple TV, swipe right, left, up or down. On Apple TV the selection will move in the direction you swipe.
- When the selection is on the item you have chosen, tap the screen on Apple Watch.
- Now the item will open, and you will be able to continue to navigate by swipping and tapping.
- You can tap Menu to go back one level. Tap and hold Menu to go straight to the main menu.
- Tap Play/Pause to start or pause playback.
Apple Watch as a Remote Control for Apple TV or iTunes as Seen by Apple
Here come the guidelines about using your Apple Watch as a remote control for your Apple TV or iTunes as they appear on Apple’s support page:
The user can set up the Remote app on the Apple Watch to play music on the Apple TV or in iTunes on his or her computer.
To use the Remote app on the Apple Watch, you have to set up the device with the Apple TV or in iTunes on the computer. The user only needs to set up the Remote app once for each device. If users change their mind, they can easily remove connected devices later. After the user sets up the Remote app, he or she can quickly choose what to control from the Apple Watch.
How to Set up Your Apple TV and the Remote app
First at all, set up the Remote app:
- Make sure that your Apple TV and your Apple Watch are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your Apple Watch, open the Remote app.
- Then tap Add Device.
- Now on your Apple TV, select your Apple Watch: To do this, on the Apple TV (4th generation): Go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote app, then select your Apple Watch. On the Apple TV (2nd or 3rd Generation): Go to Settings > General > Remotes, and once there select your Apple Watch.
- On your Apple TV, enter the passcode that appears on your Apple Watch. When the pairing icon appears next to your Apple Watch, you can start controlling your Apple TV.
How to Control Your Apple TV
Users can control their Apple TV after they set up the Remote app. For this, they should make sure that their Apple TV is awake, open Remote on Apple Watch, choose their Apple TV, then use these gestures:
- To move through the Apple TV menu, swipe up, down, left, or right till you find the item you are looking for.
- Tap the highlighted item to choose it.
- Next tap Menu to go back. Alternatively, you can touch and hold it to go to the Home screen.
- Finally, tap Play/Pause button to pause or resume playback.
How to Set up iTunes and the Remote app
First at all, set up the Remote app. To do this proceed as follows:
- Make sure that your computer and your Apple Watch are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your Apple Watch, open the Remote app.
- Now tap Add Device on the Remote app.
- In iTunes on your computer, Remote button will appear after you click Add Device and your remote tries to connect.
- When you see Remote button, click it.
- On your computer, enter the 4-digit code that appears on your Apple Watch.
How to Control iTunes
After you set up the Remote app, you can choose an iTunes library and thus control your music from your watch: If you have only one library, you can now start playing your music. But if you have more than one library, you should tap the library that you want to listen to on your Apple watch. If you’re already playing music, tap the icon representing three horizontal lines, then tap a library.
To play or pause your music, or to go to the previous or next track of the music you are listening to, use the controls in Remote. If you want to change the volume, just turn the Digital Crown.
- Trade in your old Apple Watch for fast cash: iGotOffer will buy secondhand consumer electronics for the highest price online, Apple Watches included. Sell your Apple Watch now and save money for a new device: Sell Apple Watch now.
- Have you discovered our blog? It’s full of helpful personal articles and links leading to some of the world’s best-known resources about Apple products, news about consumer electronic market, its history and more. Reading our blog and our Apple Encyclopedia, you can gain valuable tips and information on many topics! Great advice is on its way to you!: iGotOffer Blog.
Controlling TV using Apple Watch and Comcast Xfinity. Video published by luggage12345, on April 25, 2015.