On Apple Watch, the Message App enables the user to stay on top of the instant messages. It is possible to choose which alerts to receive, by working from the Messages screen in the Apple Watch app on iPhone. Users can also decide how many repeat alerts to receive and whether to send read receipts for messages. Users can also customize their default replies and choose whether to send the dictated transcript or recorded audio files for audio messages.
How to Configure the Messages App
- Press Home on iPhone to display the Home screen.
- Tap Apple Watch to open the Apple Watch app.
- Tap My Watch to display the My Watch screen.
- Tap Messages to display the Messages screen (note that by default Messages uses the Mirror My iPhone setting).
- To customize Messages settings, tap Custom. Otherwise, go to Tap Audio Messages (see below) for audio messages. The Alerts controls appear.
- Set the Show Alerts switch to On to see alerts for messages.
- Set the Sound switch to On to receive sound notifications.
- Set the Haptic switch to On to receive notifications via vibration.
- Tap Repeat alerts to display the Repeat alerts screen.
- Now tap the number of Repeat alerts you want to receive: Never, Once, Twice, 3 Times, 5 Times, 10 Times.
- Tap Messages, and the Messages screen will appear again.
- Set the Send Read Receipts switch to On if you want messages to send receipts to senders when you read the messages coming from them.
- Tap Audio Messages to display the Audio Messages screen.
- Tap Dictation or Audio if you want to be able to choose whether to send transcribed text or a recorded audio file. Tap Always Dictation to always send transcribed text. Or tap Always Audio to always send recorded audio.
- Tap Messages to display the Messages screen.
- Tap Default Replies to display the Default Replies screen.
- Now tap the preset reply you want to change. Then type the text you want to use.
Note that if you send a read receipt, is up to you. Sending it lets the sender of a message be sure that you have read it. This is helpful, especially if the read message makes it unnecessary for the sender to follow up with a phone call or an e-mail message asking whether you received the message. But if sending read receipts might reveal too much information about your actions, you may prefer not to send them.
A Few Simple Tips
- To create a new preset reply open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap the My Watch tab. Now go to Messages > Default Replies. Once there, tap a default reply to change it. To remove a default reply or change the order, tap Edit.
- To delete a conversation, swipe left on the conversation, and then tap Trash.
- Asking Siri for help while sending a new message: You can ask Siri to create a message for you. For example, say “Hey Siri, tell my wife I’ll home in ten minutes.” Next, lower your wrist to send.
- If you want to send a handwritten message or sticker, tap emoji icon, swipe right to your recent handwritten messages and stickers, then tap one.
Troubleshooting and Getting Help
When You can’t Send or Receive a Message on Apple Watch
Important note: After each step performed, try to send or receive a message using your Apple Watch, and proceed to perform the next step only if the function still won’t work:
- See if you can send and receive messages on your iPhone. For this go to your iPhone and check if it can receive and send messages without using Apple Watch.
- Look at the watch face. If you see Moon icon on your Apple Watch, turn off Do Not Disturb mode.
- Make sure that your Apple Watch is connected to your iPhone. To check the connection, open Control Center on your Apple Watch. Then tap ping phone icon. If the devices are connected, your iPhone will make a “ping” sound.
- Check the phone number of your friend or check the Apple ID to make sure that it’s correct.
- Sign out of iMessage on your iPhone. If you’re signed in with your Apple ID, tap it, then tap Sign Out.
- Turn iMessage off on your iPhone.
- Turn iMessage on again on your iPhone.
- Sign back in to iMessage on your iPhone.
- Restart your Apple Watch and iPhone.
- Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone.
- Then pair Apple Watch and iPhone again.
Free Messaging Apps
Apple Messages: To dismiss the message you simply lower your wrist, and if you want to reply you simply scroll down the Digital Crown (side wheel) to Reply. You can then pick from a list of pre-configured options, or dictate a response yourself!
Avaamo: Offers secure messaging with an emphasis on those in the world of business. Avaamo is fully cross platform, and is great since you can easily share files between colleagues, or even locations should you need to meet up for a business meeting or whatever.
LINE: A multiuse communication tool allows to easily check your messages and respond to friends. The Apple Watch app is also stripped down somewhat, with less emojis and added content, but is still a solid messaging app.
Glide: A video messaging app. User can begin viewing a video message even as the sender is in the process of recording it, but it will always be slightly behind.
- Sell your used Apple Watch to iGotOffert for cash! We pay the best price online for your old electronic watch and we help you save money: Apple Watch sale. Get the best price for your old gadget.
In depth look at Messaging App on Apple Watch. Published by Tech with Matthew on May 17, 2015.