The fourth-generation iPad was marketed by Apple Inc. as iPad with Retina display, and colloquially referred to as the iPad 4. This model featured new and upgraded components such as the Apple A6X chip, and later the Lightning connector. The fourth-generation iPad was praised for its hardware improvements as well as the Retina display (also featured in the iPad 3). The iPad 4 comes with several pre-installed applications, including Siri, Safari, Mail, Photos, Video, Music, iTunes, App Store, Maps, Notes, Calendar, Game Center, Photo Booth, Contacts. Like all iOS devices, the iPad 4 syncs content and other data with a Mac or PC using iTunes. This model also an optional iBooks application, which displays books and other ePub-format content downloaded from the iBookstore.
iPad 4th Generation
The fourth-generation iPad featured new and upgraded components such as the Apple A6X chip, and the Lightning connector. This model shipped with iOS 6.0. This operation system provides a platform for audio-visual media, including electronic books, periodicals, films, music, computer games, presentations and web content. It was the third device in the iPad line to support five major iOS versions, after the iPad (3rd generation) and the iPad 2. The iOS 11, which was announced on 5 June 2017, does not support the fourth-generation iPad due to hardware limitations.
- November 2, 2012. The iPad 4 was released simultaneously in thirty-five countries
- In December 2012, the fourth iPad was released in ten other countries including China, India and Brazil.
- Processor: Apple A6X processor. CPU 1.4 GHz dual core Apple Swift.
- Operating system: Original: iOS 6.0.1. The iPad 4 supports iOS 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
- Onboard memory: 1 GB LPDDR2 RAM.
- Storage: 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB flash memory.
- Display: 9.7 inches 2,048 × 1,536 px color IPS LCD display at (264 ppi) with a 4:3 aspect ratio, fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. Graphics uad-core PowerVR SGX554MP4.
- Input: Multi-touch screen, proximity and ambient light sensors, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, digital compass, headset controls. The fourth generation replaces the 30-pin connector with an all-digital Lightning connector.
- Cameras: Front camera: 1.2 MP, 720p HD. Rear camera: OmniVision Technologies OV5650 5.0 MP AF, iSight with Five Element Lens, Hybrid IR filter, video stabilization, face detection, ƒ/2.4 aperture.
- Ports: 30-pin connector replaced with all-digital Lightning connector.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Bluetooth 4.0 GSM.UMTS / HSDPA. 850, 1900, 2100 MHz. GSM / EDGE. 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz. CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A. 800, 1900 MHz GSM LTE 700, 800, 850, 900, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100, 2600 MHz. UMTS / HSDPA/HSPA+ / DC-HSDPA 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz. GSM / EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz. CDMA LTE 700 MHz. CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A 800, 1900 MHz. UMTS / HSDPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz. GSM / EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable Li-Po battery 11,560 mAh 3.7 V 42.5 W·h (153 kJ).
- Online services: App Store, iTunes Store, iBookstore, iCloud, Game Center.
- Dimensions: 9.50 in height; 7.31 in width; 0.37 in depth.
- Average weight: Wi-Fi model: 1.44 lb. Wi-Fi + Cellular model: 1.46 lb.
- Colors: The iPad 4 is available with either a black or white front glass panel
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order Numbers:
- 16 GB configuration in black – MD510LL/A
- 32 GB configuration in black – MD511LL/A
- 64 GB configuration in black – MD512LL/A
- 16 GB configuration in white – MD513LL/A
- 32 GB configuration in white – MD514LL/A
- 64 GB configuration in white – MD515LL/A
- 128 GB configuration in black – ME392LL/A
- 128 GB configuration in white – ME393LL/A
- On October 16, 2013, following the announcement of iPad Air
- Reintroduced on March 18, 2014, following the discontinuation of the iPad 2
- Discontinued definitively on October 16, 2014 in favor of the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3.
- $499 – 16 GB
- $599 – 32 GB
- $699 – 64 GB
- $799 – 128 GB
- The fourth-generation iPad’s iOS 6.0. can act as a hotspot with some carriers, sharing its Internet connection over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB, and also access the Apple App Store, a digital application distribution platform for iOS. The service allows users to browse and download applications from the iTunes Store that were developed with Xcode and the iOS SDK.
- The iPad came with several pre-installed applications, including Siri, Safari, Mail, Photos, Video, Music, iTunes, App Store, Maps, Notes, Calendar, Game Center, Photo Booth, and Contacts.
- This iPad can sync content and other data with a Mac or PC using iTunes, although iOS 5 and later can be managed and backed up without a computer.
- Although the iPad 4 is not designed to make phone calls over a cellular network, users can use a headset or the built-in speaker and microphone to place phone calls over Wi-Fi or cellular using a VoIP application, such as Skype.
- This model has a dictation application, using the same voice recognition technology as the iPhone 4S. The user speaks and the iPad types what they say on the screen, though the iPad must have an internet connection available (via Wi-Fi or cellular network) due to the feature’s reliance on Apple servers to translate the speech.
iPad 4th Generation
|Model Number||A1458 (Wi-Fi)
A1459 (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
A1460 (Wi-Fi + Cellular -> MM)
(on the back cover)
|Display Size||9.7 inches (Retina Display)|
|Dimensions||241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 mm (9.50 x 7.31 x 0.37 in) (Wi-Fi)
241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 mm (9.50 x 7.31 x 0.37 in) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Weight||652 g (1.44 lb) (Wi-Fi)
662 g (1.46 lb) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Capacity||16/32/64/128GB, 1GB RAM|
|Front Panel||Flat and made of glass|
|Back Panel||Made of anodized aluminum|
|SIM tray||The micro-SIM tray is on the right side on iPad (Cellular model only)|
|Serial Number||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|IMEI/MEID||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|See also||Sell your iPad 4th generation online now|
- More than 3 million iPad Minis and fourth-generation iPads were sold in the first weekend of sale.
- Major book publishers including Penguin Books, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, and Macmillan have committed to publishing books for the iPad 4.
- Despite being a competitor to both the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook, both Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble offered e-reader apps for the iPad for the first time on iPad 4.
- The iPad 4 is manufactured either with or without the capability to communicate over a cellular network. All models can connect to a wireless LAN via Wi-Fi.
- According to Wikipedia, in a repairability review conducted by iFixit, the iPad 4 scored 2 out of 10 (10 being the easiest to repair) due to the use of adhesive to attach components. However, reviewers noted that several components such as the screen and battery could be removed easily for replacement.
- Apple iPad Support: Manuals, User Guides, iOS and Apple Accessories Information
- Getting Ready to Sell iPad Online
- Asking yourself where to sell old iPad? The answer to this question is obvious, sell you old tablet at iGotOffer for the highest price online!
New Apple iPad (4th Generation): Unboxing and Demo [Video]
Video uploaded by DetroitBORG on Nov 2, 2012