The original iPad Air (sometimes called as iPad 5th generation) have the same 9.7″ Retina display as the earlier iPad 3 and iPad 4 models. iPad Air also reduced the thickness of the iPad air to 7.5 mm (it is 20 percent thinner and 28% lighter in comparison with the previous models). The iPad Air was announced during a keynote at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. The theme of the keynote was named We still have a lot to cover.
Introduction: Announced on 22 October, 2013 and released on November 1, 2013.
- Processor: Dual core 1.4 GHz Apple A7 and the Apple M7 motion coprocessor.
- Onboard RAM: 1 GB of RAM.
- Storage: 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB of flash memory storage.
- OS: iOS 7.0.3 (preinstalled), iOS 8 (with notable exception of “Health” functionality). Supported by iOS 9 (lacks support for the Split View interface feature). Support by the iOS 10.
- Mac Support: Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later. Windows Support: Windows XP SP2/Vista/7/8. iTunes is required to use this iPad with a Mac.
- Audio Support: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV.
- Video Support: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
- Display: 9.7″ 2048×1536 (264 ppi) LED-backlit IPS display. Touch ID fingerprint sensor.
- Cameras: A rear-mounted 5 megapixel iSight camera capable of shooting still images and 1080p video. A front-mounted 1.2 megapixel FaceTime HD camera capable of shooting still images and 720p video – dual-band 802.
- Ports: Lightning, headphone.
- Battery: Lythium polymer (32.4 whr). Up to 10 hours surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music.
- Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.29.
- Average weight: 1.0 lbs.
- Colors: White and silver or black and medium colored gunmetal Space Gray.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Order Numbers: 16 GB in black and space gray – MD785LL/A. 32 GB in space gray -MD786LL/A. 64 GB – MD787LL/A. 128 GB – MD898LL/A. The 16 GB in white and silver – MD788LL/A. 64 GB in white and silver – MD790LL/A. 128 GB in white and silver – ME906LL/A.
Discontinuation: 64 GB and 128 GB options discontinued on October 16, 2014.
Price: Initial price $499 – $799, depending on various factors.
- The iPad Air has a much narrower “bezel” around the display, which makes it feel quite a bit smaller than its predecessors.
- Bonnington criticized the iPad Air speakers for being slightly muddled.Dave Smith of International Business Times wrote that while the device was nice, it did not bring anything new to the iPad. Dave Smith criticized the lack of Touch ID. He also stressed that the updates, such as the increased speed and the decreased size and weight, are only slight improvements.
- The iPad Air introduced support for many additional LTE bands worldwide.
- The iPad Air comes in two versions, all of which support nano-SIMs, quad-band GSM, penta-band UMTS, and dual-band CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and B. Additionally, one version of iPad Air also supports LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25 and 26 while the other variant supports LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 20 and TD-LTE bands 38, 39 and 40. Apple’s ability to handle many different bands in one device allowed it to offer, for the first time, a single iPad variant which supports all the cellular bands and technologies deployed by all the major North American wireless providers at the time of the device’s introduction.
- With T-Mobile USA selling the iPad Air, this models became the first iPad that was made available for purchase directly from all four nationwide U.S. wireless carriers (and with all U.S. carriers now selling the same hardware variant of the device).
- Sell your old iPad Air and save for new Apple gadgets! iGotOffer is here to help!