Compared to the earlier models, the iPod classic Third Generation was completely redesigned. It had a lighter, slimmer and more rounded case. The improvements also include a dock connector for connection to a computer (replacing the Fire Wire port) and audio out for connection to speakers. The four buttons are now backlit and they are located in a row above the touch wheel (the previous models had buttons placed around the wheel). Among software improvements we can mention games, alarm clock, possibility to record voice and updated customization options. On the other hand, battery life has estimated eight hours, two hours less than the iPod classic 1st and the iPod classic 2nd generations.
iPod 3rd Generation
Introduced on April 29,2003. Upgraded on September 8, 2003.
- Processor Speed: 90 MHz (x2).
- Processor Type: PP5002.
- Onboard RAM: 32 MB.
- Storage capacity: 10 GB (2000 songs in 160-Kbps MP3 format), 15, 20, 30 and 40 GB. The 15 GB model replaced by a 20 GB model and the 30 GB model upgraded to 40 GB on September 8, 2003.
- Mac support: Mac10.1.
- OS: Operating system for mobile devices based on Pixo OS 2.1. Possibility to work with Windows 2000. Musicmatch support was changed for iTunes 4.1 for Windows.
- Audio: A high output amplifier (60-mW). The third generation iPods had a 4-pin jack adjacent to the headphone port.
- Drive: 1.8” hard drive.
- Dimensions: 4.02 x 2.43 x 0.78.
- Average weight: .5 oz.
- Navigation: Touch-sensitive scroll wheel which assured an easy one handed navigation. Four buttons located between the touch-wheel and the screen.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: 1200 mAh lithium ion hours of music playback using an integrated 1200 mAh Lithium Polymer battery. Battery life (estimated): up to 8 hours. Full-charge time: 3 hours. Fast charge in 1 hour to 80% capacity.
- Display: Black and white 2” (diagonal) monochrome (backlit) liquid-crystal display (LCD) screen. Display resolution: 160×128; 0.24-mm dot pitch.
- Colors: White.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: M9244LL/A, M9460LL/A.
Apple Model No: A1040 (EMC 1961).
Discontinued : July 19, 2004.
Price: US $299 for the 10 GB model. US #399 for 15 GB model. US $499 for a 30 GB.
- Ipod classic 3rd generation was compatible with Mac and Windows out of the box. Windows users had to reformat the iPod before use on a PC
- The battery life of iPod classic 3rd generation was estimated to up to 8 hours due to the use of a lithium-ion battery instead of a lithium polymer battery, used in the first two iPod versions.
- Order M9244LL/A was discontinued on January 6, 2004. Order M9460LL/A was discontinued on July 19, 2004.
- Don’t wait anymore. Sell your used iPod to iGotOffer for the best price online, for fast cash: iGotOffer