The iPod touch 1st gen is, in fact, an iPhone short of cellular mode. The player shares the same multi-touch 3.5 screen with 320 x 480 resolution, an accelerometer to automatically adjust the screen either in portrait or in landscape mode, a light sensor to tweak screen brightness and an integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) module. But obviously the iPod touch 1st gen lacks a speaker and microphone. Lacking the sim-card module, the iPod touch 1st gen looks thinner and shorter than the original iPhone, the display outer trim is not silver but black and the headphone jack is on the bottom and not recessed. Initially, there were just two models of the iPod touch 1st gen: 8 GB and 16 GB, yet later another 32 GB model was introduced on February 5, 2008. The battery supports 22 hours of music playback and 5 hours of video playback. As to the software, the iPod touch 1st gen runs the same iPhone OS and has a lot of iPhone features and apps in a bundle: Safari web browser, YouTube, calendar, contacts, clock, and calculator apps. Email, stocks, notes and weather were initially unavailable to the iPod Touch 1st gen users, but since January 15, 2008, Apple started selling the Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and Notes for US$19.99 and since February 5, 2008 included them into all the iPod touch models from the box. Keep in mind though, that iPod 1st gen lacks the GSM module and is not capable of geo position when off wi-fi network.
- 1 iPod Touch (Original/1st Gen) 8, 16, 32 GB
- 2 Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
- 3 Miscellanea
- 4 Links
iPod Touch (Original/1st Gen) 8, 16, 32 GB
Introduced on September 5, 2007.
- Processor Speed: 400 MHz.
- Processor Type: Samsung ARM.
- Onboard RAM: 128 MB.
- Storage capacity: 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB.
- Display: 3.5″ color TFT display (320 x 480, 163 ppi).
- Connectivity: USB, wi-fi.
- Wireless standard: 802.11b/g.
- OS installed: iPhone OS 1.0.
- Max. OS upgrade: iPhone OS 3.1.3.
- Mac Support: MacOS X 10.4.10.
- Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.4 x 0.31.
- Average weight: 4.2 oz.
- Navigation: Multitouch screen.
- Format: MP3.
- Battery Type: Battery provides 22 hours (music), 5 hours (video).
- Colors: Black.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: MA623LL/A. MA623LL/A – iPod Touch 1G 8 GB. MA623LL/B– iPod Touch 1G 8 GB since February 5, 2008. MA627LL/A– iPod Touch 1G 16 GB. MA627LL/B– iPod Touch 1G 16 GB since February 5, 2008. MB376LL/A– iPod Touch 1G 32 GB. Apple Model No: A1213.
Discontinued: September 9, 2008.
Price: US$299, US$399.
About Photos on iPod 1st Gen
iPod touch lets you carry photos and videos with you, so you can share them with your family, friends, and associates. You can sync photos and videos (Mac only) from your computer, and use photos as wallpaper. You can also send photos and videos in email messages, and upload photos to MobileMe galleries.
How to Sync Photos and Videos with Computer
iTunes can sync your photos and videos (Mac only) with the following applications: Mac: iPhoto 4.0.3 or later, or Aperture and PC: Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 or later. iPod touch supports H.264 and MPEG-4 video formats, with AAC audio. If you are having trouble syncing a video to iPod touch, you might be able to use iTunes to create an iPod touch version of the video.
To create an iPod touch version of a video:
- Copy the video to your iTunes library.
- In iTunes, select Movies in the Library list and select the video you want to sync.
- Choose Advanced > Create iPod or iPhone Version.
How to View Photos and Videos
Photos and videos (Mac only) synced from your computer’s photo application or saved from an email message can be viewed in Photos. To view photos and videos:
- In Photos, tap a photo album.
- Tap a thumbnail to see the photo or video in full screen.
Show or hide the controls: Tap the full-screen photo or video to show the controls. Tap again to hide the controls.
Zoom in on part of a photo: Double-tap where you want to zoom in. Double-tap again to zoom out. You can also pinch to zoom in or out.
View video in full screen, or fit video to screen: Double tap the screen to scale the video to fill the screen. Double-tap again to fit the video to the screen.
Pan around a photo: Drag the photo.
See the next or previous photo or video: Flick left or right. Or tap the screen to show the controls, then tap left or right arrow.
How to Share Photos and Videos
You can send photos and videos in email messages, and add photos to MobileMe galleries. You can also copy and paste photos and videos, save photos and videos from email messages to Photos, and save images from webpages to Photos.
How to Send a Photo or Video in an Email Message
To send a photo: Choose a photo and tap the screen sign with an arrow, then tap Email Photo.
To paste a video in an email message:
- Touch and hold a video until the Copy command appears.
- Tap Copy.
- Go to Mail and create a new message.
- Tap to place an insertion point where you want to place the video, then tap the insertion point to display the edit commands.
- Tap Paste.
If necessary, iPod touch may compress the photo.
- For the 32 GB models VoiceControl is available. It can play a song, an album, a playlist, can shuffle songs and activate the Genius Mixer function, as well as find the info about a playing song on web.
- Trade in your old iPod touch for fast cash at iGotOffer: We Buy Your Used iPod Touch. Free instant quote, fast payment. Free fully insured shipping – Sell old iPod touch online now.
Retro Review: iPod Touch 1st Generation. Video published by Harris Craycraft on March 17, 2013. Retro Unboxing/Review of the Apple iPod Touch 1st Generation 8 GB/ 16 GB.