The MacBook Retina 12-inches computer was introduced in April 2015. Though similar to MacBook Air, this model is lighter and thinner. This model offers a high-resolution Retina Display, higher memory and storage, redesigned keyboard, TouchPad. It has only two ports: a headphone jack and a USB 3.1 Type-C port which the user can use for data transfer, charging and video output. In the Apple’s MacBook product line, the MacBook sits below the MacBook Pro in terms of specifications. Besides, the processor and graphic performance are inferior to the MacBook Air. It can be purchased in space grey, silver, gold, rose gold.
MacBook Retina 12-Inches (8.1)
Introduction: April 10, 2015.
- Processors: Intel Core M processors (Skylake architecture).1.1 GHz (M-5Y31), dual-core Intel Core M Broadwell processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.4 GHz) with 4 MB L3 cache1. 1.2 GHz (M-5Y51) dual-core Intel Core M Broadwell processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6 GHz) with 4 MB L3 cache. Configurable 1.3 GHz (M-5Y71) dual-core Intel Core M Broadwell processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz) with 4 MB L3 cache.
- Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM.
- Flash storage: 256 GB or 512 GB NVMe/PCIe 2.0 x4, 5.0 GT/s.
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5300 with LPDDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.
- Earliest possible operating system: OS X 10.10.2 “Yosemite”. Latest possible operating system macOS 10.12.1 “Sierra”.
- Display: LED-backlit widescreen glossy, Retina Display 12 inches Retina, 2304 × 1440 (16:10), 226 ppi. Millions of colors, supported scaled resolutions: 1440 × 900, 1280 × 800, 1024 × 640.
- Video Camera: iSight, 480p.
- Battery: 39.7 watt-hour lithium-polymer terraced battery. Up to 9 hours for Internet browsing or up to 10 hours of iTunes movie playback.
- WiFi: Integrated 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5 GHz, up to 1.3 Gbit/s). Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0.
- Peripheral connections: USB 3.1 generation 1 over USB Type-C, up to 5 Gbit/s (for power, converts to USB Type-A, and video out via separate adapter).
- Headphone audio jack (supports iPhone headset with remote and microphone).
- Video out: USB-C DisplayPort 1.2 alternate mode (maximum resolution 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz AirPlay (using AppleTV).
- Power: 29 Watt USB 3.1 Type-C power adapter, 39.7 Wh battery 29 Watt USB 3.1 Type-C power adapter, 41.4 Wh battery.
- Average Weight: 2.03 pounds.
- Dimensions: 11.04 inches wide × 7.74 inches deep × 0.14 inches to 0.52 inches high.
- Colors: Space Gray, Silver.
Apple Number, Model, Price
Model identifier: MacBook 8,1.
Model Number: A1534.
Order Numbers: MF855LL/A, MF865LL/A, MJY32LL/A, MJY42LL/A, MK4M2LL/A, MK4N2LL/A.
- Apple designed this MacBook with thinness in mind.
- Indeed, the aluminum enclosure is 13.1 mm at its thickest point at the end of the computer next to the place where it pivots.
- Intel Core M processors (Skylake architecture) require no fans or heat pipe, allowing the logic board to be much smaller than the one of the MacBook Air.
- However, storage upgradeability is no longer possible, and the MacBook still features a full-sized keyboard and trackpad.
- The Retina MacBook (released in 2015) battery was redesigned to a custom shape to fill the available space in the smaller enclosure.
- The battery was improved in the 2016 refresh. For a new battery Apple claimed to provide ten hours for Internet browsing, and eleven hours for iTunes movie playback.
- As to ecology and environment issues, the MacBook does not include any beryllium, BFRs, or PVCs in its construction.
- The computer’s display is made of arsenic-free glass and contains no mercury.
- The device is made of recyclable materials such as aluminum and glass, meets Energy Star 6.1 standards, and is rated EPEAT Gold.
- Many reviewers have criticized the Retina MacBook (April 2015) for its keyboard being less comfortable than that on the MacBook Air.
- However, compared to previous models, the individual keys have a larger surface area.
- Apple replaced the scissor-like mechanism with a butterfly mechanism, making the keyboard thinner overall. Apple also claims that individual keys are more stable.
- The keyboard’s backlight no longer consists of a row of LEDs and a light guide panel, but instead uses a single LED for each key.
- The letters on the new Macbook’s keyboard are set in San Francisco fonts, whereas previous MacBooks used VAG Rounded.
- Retina Display MacBook (April 2015) was the first to introduce the Force Touch trackpad, allowing for pressure sensitivity, and replicating a click with haptic feedback.
- The trackpad was later brought to the MacBook Pro line, and the Magic Trackpad. Apple uses similar technology the Apple Watch and new iPhone models. Apple had to remove all prviously existing ports to achieve the thinness, except the headphone jack. A USB Type-C port was placed instead.
- The headphone jack supports headphones with integrated microphone. It is located on the right side of the MacBook 8,1 and is located right next to two openings that house the microphone for handsfree talk.
- The USB-C port allows charging, output and input of data, video and audio. Adapters can be used to offer backward compatibility. Thunderbolt devices cannot function, however, since there is no adapter available for that function.
- Shortly after the MacBook’s introduction in April, 2015, various companies began announcing cables and adapters for the USB Type-C port.
- Unlike other USB connectors, USB Type-C is reversible.
- The lack of various popular ports has been the source of one of the main criticisms, the lack of USB type-A ports was particularly mentioned, as the situation limits data transfer and overall convenience without the use of an adapter.
- The inclusion of the low-power, but slower Intel Core M processor was also criticized by many users.
- You wonder where to sell used Mac Retina? You can sell it to IGotOffer, we buy old Macs for cash. And we buy any other electronic device you don’t need anymore. Why Sell Your Old Mac to iGotOffer.com? – Sell Mac Retina online now.