It always help to install any software updates that Apple releases, to keep Apple Watch running well. Indeed, updated software usually contains fixes for problems. The updates may also contain new features or improve battery life.
Use the Apple Watch app on iPhone to check for new Apple Watch software, and install it on Apple Watch. Don’t forget that to install an update Apple Watch should be charged to at least 50 percent. It must be connected to its charger, and have it within range of iPhone. Don’t forget to keep the Apple Watch on its charger until the update completes.
How to Update Apple Watch Software
- Press Home on iPhone.
- On the Apple Watch icon, see if a red badge indicates if an update is available.
- Tap Apple Watch to open the Apple Watch app.
- Tap My Watch to see a badge indicating the number of updates available.
- Tap General to see the General screen.
- Tap Software Update to see the Software Update screen. If the Software update screen displays the message Your Software is Up to Date, tap General to return to the screen and skip the remaining steps described below. You can also tap Learn More to display information about the update.
- Tap Install. If the Installation Paused dialog box appears, connect Apple Watch to its charger and make sure the charge level is 50 percent or more, then tap OK to continue.
- When the Enter Passcode screen appears, type your passcode.
- When the Terms and Conditions screen appears, tap Agree on the screen (if you want to install the update, of course), then tap Agree in the Terms and Conditions dialog box that opens.
- When the Software Update screen appears again, the Installing on Apple Watch readout appears during the installation.
- When the installation finishes, the Software Update screen shows the new Watch OS version and the message Your Software is Up to Date.
- Tap General and the General screen will appear.
iOS or WatchOS beta or Developer Seed installed
If you installed an iOS or watchOS beta or developer seed, Apple recommends the following procedure:
Before you update your Apple Watch, remove the beta profile from the watch: To view profiles and remove them:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Next tap the My Watch tab
- Now go to General > Profiles and once there tap the beta profile that you want to remove
- Then tap Delete Profile.
- Enter your iPhone passcode if requested.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone
- Now tap General > Profiles & Device Management.
- Once there, tap the beta profile that you want to remove
- Next tap Delete profile.
- Enter your iPhone passcode if requested.
If you want to continue using the public beta of iOS, you can install the beta profile again.
Apply the Update or Not
Trick: it is normally safe to apply updates as soon as they are available, but you may want to wait a week or two until many people have applied them. Thus you’ll see if an update reports problems. If so, it may be wise to wait for Apple to issue a new update.
A Few Tricks
- When your Apple Watch connects to a Wi-Fi network instead of your iPhone, green cloud icon will appear in the Settings Glance.
- A green icon representing a running man appears when you use Workout on your Apple Watch. If you still see workout icon after you end your workout, just restart your watch, and the icon will disappear.
- When a small blue crescent moon appears on the face, it means that the Not Disturb mode is on. Thus calls and alerts won’t ring or light up the screen. However, alarms do sound. If you prefer to turn off this setting, swipe up to open Control Center, and then tap Do Not Disturb button.
- If a small icon representing an airplane appears on the watch face, it means that Airplane Mode is on. In this case wireless features turn off. However, you can still use other features on your watch. To turn off this setting, swipe up to open Control Center, then tap Airplane Mode button.
- When a red dot icon appears on top of the face (just above the 12), it means that you received a notification. To read the notification, swipe down on the watch face.
- If you see a green lightning bold on the face, it means that your Apple Watch is charging. The lightning will go away as soon as the device has been completely charged.
- A red lightning bold on the watch face is the Low battery icon. Obviously, it means that your battery is low.
- When you see a Lock icon on the watch face, it means that your Apple Watch is locked. To unlock the watch, tap to enter the passcode.
- When an Audio icon appears on the face, you can tap this icon to switch the audio output between paired Bluetooth headsets, speakers, and accessories.
- If you see a red iPhone icon with a slash crossing it, it means that your Apple Watch is not connected to your iPhone. To connect the devices, you should move them closer together. Another way to connect them is to turn off Airplane Mode.
- The best way to recycle your old Apple Watch : Sell it to iGotOffer for the highest price online. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast secure payment. Check on our prices: Apple Watch sale.
How to Update an Apple Watch. Video uploaded iUpdateOS on May 19 2015. A brief tutorial on how to update an Apple Watch from start to finish.