Apple TV 1st generation (Apple TV original and also referred to as Apple TV 1,1) is a computer equipped with an Intel processor which made it possible to stream iTunes content from as many as five Macs or PCs to an enhanced-definition or HD TV. It’s a digital media player and a microconsole, a network appliance and entertainment device which could be connected to any widescreen TV with either HDMI or component video. It supported both analog and digital audio via RCA and optical S/PDIF outputs Apple also released a new version of the Apple TV software, which allowed rental of DVD-quality and HD movies directly from the device.
Apple TV 1st Generation
- Announced in January 2007
- Apple TV 40 GB hard disk was introduced on March 21, 2007
- Apple TV 160 GB option followed on May 30, 2007.
- Processor: Intel. 1 Gzz Dothan Pentium M. CPU Speed: 1 GHz (under-clocked to 350 MHz).
- FPU: integrated. Bus Speed: 350 MHz. Register Width: 32-bit. Data Bus Width: 32-bit. Address Bus Width: 32-bit.
- Onboard RAM: 256 MB of onboard DDR2 SDRAM.
- Storage: 40 GB or 160 GB hard drive. 40 GB – holding up to 50 hours of TV shows and movies. Up to 25,000 Apple TV viewable photos from iTunes and up to 9,000 songs (4 minutes long each). 160 GB can hold up to 200 hours of video, up to 36,000 songs (4 minutes long each).
- Video: Video Card: GeForce Go 7300 graphics processor with 64 MB og GDDR3 SDRAM. H.264 1.5 Mbps video at 640×480. Supported resolution from 480 to 720 pixels.
- Video Out: HDMI, Component.
- Audio Encoding: 128-Kbps AAC. Optical audio.
- Connectivity: HDMI, 10/100 Base-T Ethernent. One USB 2.0 port (for service and diagnostics). 802.11n wireless networking.
- OS: Mac running MacOS X 10.3.9 or higher or a PC running Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2). Either with a copy of iTunes 7.1.
- Dimensions: 1.1 height x 7.7 width x 7.7 depth.
- Average weight: 2.4 lbs.
- Video files converted for Apple TV won’t play back on iPods, but files prepared for iPods will play back on an Apple TV.
- Apple TV has to be connected to an enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen television via an HDMI cable. It has no integrated controls and can only be controlled externally, either by an Apple Remote control device sing its infrared capability, or by some third-party infrared remotes.
- The 1st generation Apple TVs can stream content from up to five computers or iTunes libraries. Also, five Apple TVs can be linked to the same iTunes library.
The first Apple TV could play select YouTube videos, re-encoded in h.264, and movie trailers from Apple’s website.
Apple Model, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Identifier: A1218 (EMC 2123)
Apple Models Number: MA711LL/A
- 40 GB option was discontinued on September 14, 2009
- 160 GB option discontinued on September 1st, 2010
- 40 GB – US$299
- 160 GB hard drive – US$399
- Starting on January 15, 2008, the price of the 40 GB model was cut to US$229 and the price of 160 GB model was cut to US$329
- On September 14, 2009, Apple reduced the price of the 160 GB configuration to US$229
- Apple TV 1st generation was announced in January 2007.
- Apple inc. unveiled Apple TV as a work-in-progress called under the code name iTV on September 12, 2006 using a modified Front Row interface using the Apple Remote. The code name iTV was cancelled because a British broadcast network ITV holds the rights to the name in the UK.
- On January 15, 2008, Apple released a software update to allow users to rent movies directly from the Apple TV without using a separate computer.
- On September 9, 2015, Apple classified the first generation Apple TV as being obsolete/vintage. Owners of first generation Apple TV can’t get service for their old devices after this date.
- Apple TV: nd generation: The second generation Apple TV was unveiled in September, 2010. The device is housed in a small all-black case. The new mode had an internal 8 GB flash storage, enough local storage for buffering purposes. All media was now streamed, instead of synced. The second generation Apple TV can also stream rented content from iTunes and video from computers or iOS devices via AirPlay.
- Sell used Apple TV 1st generation for the highest price online Just ask for quote: We Buy Old Apple TV.
- Apple TV important product information by Apple (in PDF format).
- Apple TV 1st Generation Setup Guide by Apple (PDF format).
Apple TV 1st Generation Review [Video]
This video shows some things you can do with an old 1st generation Apple TV. Published on December 10, 2014 by the 8-Bit Guy