Apple Watch: How to Browse and Search the App Store
It is possible to download and install apps from the App Store service provided by Apple. These apps can add functionality to your Apple Watch. You can browse the App Store and search for any specific app you find interesting, by using the Apple Watch app on iPhone. Browsing the store enables you to look around and get an idea of the wide range of apps available. Searching enables you to locate particular apps by their names or by keywords.
Apple Watch: How to Browse and Search the App Store
- Press Home on iPhone to display the Home screen.
- Tap Apple Watch to open the Apple Watch app.
- Tap Feature to display the Featured screen.
- Swipe up the screen to scroll down.
- You’ll see further sections and app appear.
- Tap on of the See All buttons, and the screen for that category will appear.
- You can tap Name, Release Date and Featured to sort the apps in different ways.
- You can tap Back to return to the previous screen.
- Tap the app you want to learn more about.
- On the app’s screen that appear you can tap Details, Reviews or Related (to see related apps).
- Tap Search, to display the Search screen.
- Tap Search and the keyboard will open.
- Type the term you are searching for. You’ll see a list containing matches.
- Tap the match you want to view, and the app will appear.
Note that Apple Watch apps are not separate from iPhone. In fact, they are extensions to iPhone apps. The apps you download using the Apple Watch app are iPhone apps that include an extension for Apple Watch. After installing an app on iPhone, you can install the extension on Apple Watch. If you have iPhone apps on your iPhone, they may already have Apple Watch extensions.
A Few Words about App Store
Apple Inc. conceived, developed and maintains App Store as a digital distribution platform for mobile apps on iOS. The App store allows users to browse and download applications that have been developed with Apple’s iOS SDK. The apps can be downloaded to iOS devices; the iPhone smartphone, the iPod Touch handheld computer, the iPad tablet computer. They can also be downloaded as extensions of iPhone apps to the Apple Watch and 4th generation Apple TV.
According to Apple, the App Store has millions of apps available (at least two and a half million of apps in January 2017). Altogether no less than 140 billion times many of these apps have been downloaded since Apple Inc. launched App Store in 2008. The total revenue has been calculated as $70 billion earned by app developers in this period.
In the fall of 2016, Apple has rolled out major changes to the App Store. These changes included the addition of ads in search results, as well as a new app subscription model. According to this mode, the early established 70/30 revenue split that was practiced between developers (who have earned 70% of money earned from purchases) and Apple (which has received 30%) have changed into a new 85/15 revenue split between developers and Apple. But this approach is valid only if the person who has purchased a developer’s app, stays subscribed to this app for a year.
On September 7, 2016, Apple announced that starting the same day, the company will be removing old apps that do not function as intended or that don’t follow current review guidelines. All developers are previously warned and given thirty days to update their apps, if they are stable. However apps that crash on startup will be removed immediately. Additionally, Apple warns that app names registered by developers cannot now exceed 50 characters, (this method widely used by developers was a clear attempt to insert very long descriptions or irrelevant terms in app names in order to improve the app’s ranking in the App Store search results. Thus the decision of Apple not to allow this practice anymore prevents developers from creating endless names. Note than App intelligence firm Sensor Tower revealed in November 2016 that Apple, as promised from its September announcement of removing old apps, had removed 47,300 apps from the App Store in October 2016. This number represents a 238 percent increase of its prior number of average monthly app removals.
- You want to switch to a new Apple Watch series but don’t have enough means? We at iGotOffer help you save money for your new purchase. We pay the best price online for your old electronic devices. Free instant quote, free fully insured shipping, fast and secure payment – Sell your Apple Watch now.
- Apple Watch and Apple Pay – What is Apple Pay? You make payments easily using Apple Watch. You can make contactless payment at payment terminal using Apple Pay, Apple’s mobile wallet and online payment service.
- How to configure Passbook & Apple Pay on the Apple Watch – On Apple Watch, the Passbook app enables you to carry essential documents and present them easily to automated scanners. If you want, you can store your boarding pass in Passbook and use Apple Watch to display this boarding pass at the gate when boarding an airplane.
- About essential moves to set up an Apple Watch – To navigate Apple Watch, the owner uses Digital Crown, the side button and the touch screen.
- Have you discovered the iGotOffer blog? It’s full of helpful personal articles and links leading to some of the world’s best-known resources about Apple products, news about consumer electronic market, its history and more. Reading our blog and our Apple Encyclopedia, you can gain valuable tips and information on many topics! Great advice is on its way to you!: iGotOffer Blog.
First Look: Apple Watch App Store. Video uploaded by iDB on April 23, 2015. A look at the new Apple Watch App Store.
To browse and search for apps with the results pre-filtered to include only those iPhone apps that also include an app for Apple Watch, use the Watch app on your iPhone
Apps for Apple Watch can be browsed via the App Store tab in the Watch app, where categories are currently Get Moving, Work Smarter, and Quick Fix Games.
Apps can also be searched by keyword or app name via the Search tab in the Watch app.