The iPad mini (1st generation) aimed at the sector of smaller tablets, and its hardware is similar to the iPad 2 (Apple A5 processor, Retina display, with one exception though, as it uses Lightning connector), but the iPad mini is 53% lighter and thinner. It features a reduced screen size of 7.9 inches and was manufactured in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi+Cellular versions.
iPad Mini (iPad mini 1st Generation)
The iPad mini (1st generation) was shipped with iOS 6.0. The latest version available was iOS 9.3.5 (Apple discontinued this model in June 2015). As we have already mentioned, the device featured similar internal specifications to the iPad 2, including its display resolution. Four versions of the iPad mini were introduced from November 2, 2012.
November 2, 2012.
- Processor: Dual core Apple A5.
- Processor Speed: 1.0 GHz.
- Onboard RAM: 512 MB.
- Storage: 16GB, 32 GB, 64 GB.
- OS: Preinstalled – iOS 6. Maximum OS – iOS 9.x. The iPad mini is supported by the last version of iOS 7, iOS 8 (with the exception of “Health” functionality), iOS 9 (with some restrictions, for example, the major interface features and Transit functionality are not supported.
- Connectivity: USB.
- Ports: Lightning, Headphone.
- Support: Mac Support Mac OS X 10.6.8. Windows Support: Windows XP SP2/Vista/7.
- Display: Screen 7.9-inch, 1024 x 768 pixel resolution screen.
- Cameras: Rear-mounted 5 megapixel iSight camera capable of shooting still images and 1080p video. a front-mounted 1.2 megapixel FaceTime HD camera capable of shooting still images and 720p video.
- Audio-support: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV.
- Video Support: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
- Battery: Lithium Polymer (16.3 Whr). Up to 10 Hours of listening to the music or surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video.
- Dimensions: 7,8x x 5.3 x 0.28.
- Average weight: 0.68 lb.
- Colors: Black or White.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order Numbers:
- 16 GB configuration in black and slate – MD528LL/A
- 32 GB – MD529LL/A
- 64 GB – MD530LL/A
- 16 GB in white and silver – MD531LL/A
- 32 GB in white and silver – MD531LL/A
- 64 GB configuration in white and silver – MD533LL/A
- 16 GB configuration in black and Space Gray – MF432LL/A
Discontinued: 19 June 2015.
- 16 GB – US$329
- 32 GB – US$429
- 64 GB – US$529
- The iPad mini includes the same hardware as the iPad 2 tablet, as both screens have resolutions of 1024 x 768. However the iPad mini has a smaller screen and thus higher pixel density than iPad 2 (163 PPI vs 132 PPI).
- The iPad mini (1st generation) mostly worked on iOS 7.1, which offered many hidden features such as swiping your finger down from the top of the iPad to bring down notifications. If the user swept the finger up from the bottom, the iPad mini brought up airplane mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, do not disturb and lock rotation, music, camera and volume.
- The first iPad mini came with many pre-installed applications, including Siri, Safari, Mail, Photos, Video, Music, iTunes, App Store, Maps, Notes, Calendar, Game Center, Photo Booth, and Contacts. This model could sync content and other data with a Mac or PC using iTunes, although iOS 5 and later can be managed and backed up with iCloud.
- Although the iPad mini (1st gen) tablet is not designed to make telephone calls over a cellular network, users can use a headset or the built-in speaker and microphone and place phone calls over Wi-Fi or cellular using a VoIP application.
- iPad mini has dictation feature, using the same voice recognition technology as the iPhone 4S. If users speak, the device types what they say on the screen provided that the device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
|Model Number||A1432 (Wi-Fi)|
A1454 (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
A1455 (Wi-Fi + Cellular -> MM)
|Display Size||7.9 inches|
|Dimensions||200 x 134.7 x 7.2 mm (7.87 x 5.30 x 0.28 in)|
|Weight||308 g (10.86 oz) (Wi-Fi)|
444 g (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|Capacity||15/32/64GB, 512MB RAM|
|Front Panel||Flat and made of glass|
|Back Panel||Aluminum housing|
|SIM tray||The nano-SIM tray is on the right side (Cellular model only)|
|Serial Number||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|IMEI/MEID||You will find it in the Settings menu|
|See also||Sell your iPad mini online now|
- The iPad mini line provides a physically smaller device but with a display that has the same number of pixels as the original iPad or iPad 2.
- The iPad mini line provides fewer pixels than the retina display-equipped iPad 3rd Gen or iPad 4th Gen.
- Frequency bands: The iPad mini is available with two different frequency bands. Both versions support the same quad-band GSM and quad-band UMTS frequencies, but one version also supports LTE bands 4 and 17, which are intended for use on the U.S. AT&T network, while the other adds support for LTE bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 and CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B.
- iPad mini (1st generation) was equipped with an optional iBooks application, which displays books and other ePub-format content downloaded from the iBookstore and provided by several major book publishers including Penguin Books, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster and Macmillan. Besides, despite being a direct competitor to both the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook, both Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble offer e-reader apps for the iPad.
- The iPad mini was initially featured with slate and silver colors, however on the release of the iPad mini 2 the slate color was changed to space gray. The silver color also remained.
- Apple offered a few accessories for its first iPad mini, such as Smart Cover, which was introduced with the iPad 2. Smart Cover is a screen protector that magnetically attaches to the face of the device. The Smart Cover has three folds, which allow it to convert into a stand, held together by magnets. The cover has a microfiber bottom that cleans the front of the iPad, and wakes up the unit when the cover is removed. It comes in six colors of polyurethane.
- Other accessories include Bluetooth keyboard, various types of earbuds or headphones, adapters for the Lightning connector.
- Apple offered AppleCare and free engraving for its first iPad Mini.
- Apple iPad Support: Manuals, User Guides, iOS and Apple Accessories Information
- How to restore iPad mini.
- Where to sell my used and old iPad mini for the best price online: We buy iPad mini for top dollar: Sell iPad mini online.
Apple iPad mini (White vs Black): Unboxing & Demo [Video]
Video uploaded by DetroitBORG on Nov 2, 2012