The iPhone 3G (iPhone 1,2) is the second generation of iPhones, combining mobile phone, iPod, Internet functionalities. This smartphone is similar to its predecessor iPhone 1.1 (iPhone original), However, this model includes new hardware features, such as GPS, 3G data, push email, turn-by-turn navigation, tri-band UMTS/HSDPA.
Apple iPhone 3G Full Information
The enhancements allow faster data downloads. The new operating system, iPhone OS 2.0. introduced the App Store as a new distribution platform for third-party applications.
- Announced on June 9, 2008.
- Released on July 11, 2008.
- Processor: Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM11 620 MHz (underclocked to 412 MHz), a PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU, and 128 MB of package on package (PoP) DRAM.
- Storage capacity: 8GB and 16GB.
- OS: iPhone OS (with continuous updates). Preloaded with iPhone OS 2.0. Since June 2009, iPhone 3.0 software update, introducing MMS feature, landscape support for more apps, copy and paste features, Bluetooth stereo supports, other improvements. In June 2010, Apple introduced the iOS 4.0, with limited features for iPhone 3G. In November 2010, the iOS 4.2 update introduced YouTube voting, security fixes and more features, but still with limitations for iPhone 3G.
- Connectivity: EDGE, Assisted GPS, 3G data, tri-band UMTS/HSDPA. The iPhone 3G features a proprietary 30-pin dock connector for charging the device. It can also be used to synchronize the device with a computer and to connect various accessories. A flush-mounted 3.5 mm headphone jack, which allow this smartphone to be used with headphones other than those provided by Apple.
- Display: 3.5-inch display with 320×480 resolution at 163 ppi
- Camera: Rear fixed-focus 2.0 megapixel camera. iPhone 3G’s operating system supported the geotagging of photographs.
- Casing: Plastic polycarbonate housing, replacing the aluminum back of the first generation. Buttons changed from plastic to metal, the edges of the smartphone were tapered.
- Dimensions: 4.6 in high, 2.4 in wide, 0.47 in deep.
- Battery: A rechargeable battery rated at 1150 mAh, not user-replaceable and capable of providing up to six hours of web browsing via Wi-Fi, 5 hours via 3G, 25 hours of audio playback., 300 hours of standby time.
- Color: The 16GB of iPhone 3G model was produced in either black or white.
|Model Number||A1324, A1241|
(on the back)
|Display Size||3.5 inches|
|Dimensions||115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 mm (4.55 x 2.44 x 0.48 in)|
|Weight||133 g (4.69 oz)|
|Capacity||8/16GB, 128MB RAM|
|Front Panel||Flat and made of glass|
|Back Panel||The back housing is made of plastic. The imprint on the back of the phone is less shiny than the Apple logo above it.|
|SIM tray||On the top side that holds a "second form factor" (2FF) mini-SIM|
|Serial Number||Printed on the SIM tray|
|IMEI/MEID||+ You will find it in the Settings menu|
|See also||Sell used iPhone online now|
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price
Apple Order: MB046LL/A.
Discontinued: On June 7, 2010.
- US$199 (8GB)
- US$299 (16GB)
- Sensors: The iPhone 3G featured the same sensors as iPhone Original. However, the proximity sensor, which deactivates the display during calls when the face is near, was repositioned in order to save battery power and to prevent inadvertent inputs from the user’s face and ears. Besides, Apple included an ambient light sensor in order to adjust the display brightness for different lighting conditions, which helps save battery power. The company also included a 3-axis accelerometer to sense the orientation of the phone and change the screen accordingly, allowing the user to easily switch between portrait and landscape mode.
- Internal Hardware: Most of the iPhone 3G’s internal hardware was based on the original iPhone. It includes a Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM11 620 MHz processor (underclocked to 412 MHz), a PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU, and 128 MB of package on package (PoP) DRAM.
- Following the release of the iPhone 3GS model in 2009, the iPhone 3G price was cut in half.
- The 3G featured the proximity sensor to deactivate the display during calls when it it near the ear. An ambient light sensor adjusted the display brightness to save battery power. A 3-axis accelerometer allowed to switch the screen between portrait and landscape mode.
- At launch, the iPhone 3G came preloaded with iPhone OS 2.0. This operating system introduced the App Store, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support, Apple’s MobileMe service and push email support, along with other new features and several bug fixes.
- The Apple’s iPhone 3G’s back featured a redesigned plastic polycarbonate housing. This housing replaced the aluminum back of the first generation. Buttons changed from plastic to metal, and the edges on this model were tapered, and thus provided a better grip.
- The iPhone 3G introduced the first official color options for the outer casing, with the 16GB version available in black and white.
- Following the release of the successor iPhone 3GS model in 2009, the iPhone 3G’s price was cut in half, and this smartphone remained on sale but became Apple’s budget phone offer. This $99 iPhone 3G required a two-year contract. It was available only in black and with 8 GB of storage, but came bundled with updated iPhone OS 3.0 software.
- On June 7, 2010, the iPhone 3G was replaced as Apple’s budget phone by an 8 GB iPhone 3GS selling for the same price of $99 with a 2-year contract.
- When the iPhone 3G was released, Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal described the new model as “a more capable version of an already excellent device”. However Mr. Mossberg added that this smartphone had “hidden costs”. Several technology experts criticized the battery life of iPhone 3G, stating that the run-time was insufficient, and less than claimed by Apple. This criticizm was also reflected by a J.D. Power and Associates customer satisfaction survey, which gave the “battery aspects” of the device its lowest rating of 2 out of 5 stars, even after firmware update performed by Apple later. On July 28, 2010, an article in The Wall Street Journal‘s Digits column reported that iPhone 3G phones updating to iOS 4 responded slowly, had diminished battery life, and became excessively hot.
- Trade in your old iPhone for cash at iGotOffer. Sell your used iPhone for the best money. Instant and free quote, free and fully insured shipping: Sell old iPhone online now!
- iPhone 3G Finger Tips Guide (in PDF format).
- iPhone 3G Important Product Info and Safety Guide (in PDF format).